1. Club 64
    Moves
    29 Feb '08 20:09
    Originally posted by Rapidfyre
    And you scoff at me.
    Sorry, no imbeciles allowed in this thread. Take it to General, spanky.
  2. Club 64
    Moves
    29 Feb '08 20:131 edit
    Originally posted by eamon o
    I love it, but stairway is the cheesiest Zeppelin song.
    I'd suggest Kashmir or Black Dog instead.
    Hendrix: Electric Ladyland, Voodoo Chile, Crosstown Traffic
    Cream: White Room
    David Bowie: Space Oddessey
    The Who: My Generation, Who's Next
    To name but a few................
    Yeah, but it's still one of those songs you just have to love. Kashmir is okay, Black Dog is great. I also like The Ocean.

Hendrix, great. Cream was good; I liked Sunshine of Your Love. The Who is wonderful. You have great tastes.

Anybody here a fan of the Doobie Brothers?
  3. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    29 Feb '08 20:38
    Originally posted by rbmorris
    That's probably one of my least favorite Doors' songs. If I had to choose something by The Doors, I'd probably pick "Not to Touch the Earth" or "Moonlight Drive".
    Good songs.

Lou Reed - There is No Time/Venus in Furs/Heroin

Tom Waits - Big in Japan/Just the Right Bullets/Hang Down your Head/Goin' out West/I Don't Wanna Grow Up/Jockey Full of Bourbon/et al.
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    29 Feb '08 20:52
    I don't consider Tom Waits to be classic rock because they don't play him on those crappy radio stations. Plus, his newer albums are arguably just as good as his first ones - a rarity among aging "rock stars".
  5. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    29 Feb '08 21:06
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I don't consider Tom Waits to be classic rock because they don't play him on those crappy radio stations. Plus, his newer albums are arguably just as good as his first ones - a rarity among aging "rock stars".
    Have you heard Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards? A bit dark for me after a couple of tries... must revisit.
  6. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '08 21:02
    Originally posted by Ironstar
    How many of you like classic rock? If so, list your favorite classic rock band along with your favorite classic rock song. I'll start us off.

Band: Pink Floyd
    Song: Stairway to heaven-Led Zeppelin
    Why does everyone blabber on about Stairway to Heaven? Battle for Evermore is far superior and has Sandy on vocals.

How about some less well known bands?

1) High Tide

2) Andwella's Dream

3) Trees
  7. Club 64
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 02:071 edit
    Originally posted by znsho
    Why does everyone blabber on about Stairway to Heaven? Battle for Evermore is far superior and has Sandy on vocals.

How about some less well known bands?

1) High Tide

2) Andwella's Dream

3) Trees
    Sorry..."Stairway to Heaven" is a little too common, but still a great song.

I have heard of High Tide, but unfortunately, they only lasted a year, or somewhere around there. I can't say I've heard of the other two. Can you name some songs by them?

"The Battle of Evermore" was indeed an incredible song. Sandy Denny was quite the vocalist.
  8. weedhopper
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 04:14
    Band: Floyd.
    Songs: Won't Get Fooled Again; Sympathy for the Devil; Stay With Me.
    Albums: Meddle; Abbey Road; Hotel California.
  9. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 05:191 edit
    Originally posted by Green Paladin

Pearl Jam - Rockin' in the Free World (live)
    Rockin' in the Free World is a Neil Young song, but Pearl Jam does most of the instrumentals.

I'm not sure what my favorite classic rock music is. I'm just starting to head backwards in time for the most part. So I'll see what I like best in the future.
  10. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 08:07
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    Rockin' in the Free World is a Neil Young song, but Pearl Jam does most of the instrumentals.

I'm not sure what my favorite classic rock music is. I'm just starting to head backwards in time for the most part. So I'll see what I like best in the future.
    I'm talking about Pearl Jam live (Eddie Vedder on vocals) sans Neil Young. I think this version is better than the original although the original is also excellent.
  11. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 09:10
    Okay... excluding ABBA and Boney M:

Songs:
    - Heroin (Velvet Underground)
    - White Rabbit (Jefferson Airplane)
    - Sympathy for the devil (Rolling Stones)
    - Lust for life (Iggy Pop)
    - Thunder road (Springsteen)

Artists:
    - The velvet Underground (Lou Reed AND John Cale)
    - Tom Waits
    - Pink Floyd
    - David Bowie
    - Leonard Cohen

Albums:
    - The velvet undergound & Nico
    - Rain dogs (Tom Waits)
    - The white album (The Beatles)
    - Bone machine (Tom Waits)
    - If you want blood, you got it (AC/DC)

Generally based on the amount of times I can listen to it without putting it in the cupboard for 10 years.

Okay... one more:

Live:
    - Springsteen
    - Tom Waits
    - Prince
    - Meatloaf
    - Billy Bragg
  12. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 10:53
    Sorry..."Stairway to Heaven" is a little too common, but still a great song.

I have heard of High Tide, but unfortunately, they only lasted a year, or somewhere around there. I can't say I've heard of the other two. Can you name some songs by them?

"The Battle of Evermore" was indeed an incredible song. Sandy Denny was quite the vocalist.
    If you like Fairport Covention, then you'll like Trees. Check out their LP, On The Shore. The guitar playing is superb, especially on Streets of Derry and sally Free and Easy.

Andwella's Dream were an interesting UK Pop-Rock-Psychedelic band who made one LP called Love and Poetry. Actually, not the best band in the world. I was just showing off my knowledge!

I still maintain Battle for Evermore is much, much better than Stairway to Heaven and yet it is hardly ever mentioned. Led Zep fans out there, why do you forget this materpiece?
  13. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 22:13
    Originally posted by rbmorris
    That's probably one of my least favorite Doors' songs. If I had to choose something by The Doors, I'd probably pick "Not to Touch the Earth" or "Moonlight Drive".
    The crystal ship.
  14. Joined
    03 Apr '07
    Moves
    03 Mar '08 00:37
    How many of you like classic rock? If so, list your favorite classic rock band along with your favorite classic rock song. I'll start us off.

Band: Pink Floyd
    Song: Stairway to heaven-Led Zeppelin
    pink floyd; shine on you crazy diamond or comfortably numb i cant decide
  15. Club 64
    Moves
    03 Mar '08 00:561 edit
    Originally posted by dielon444
    pink floyd; shine on you crazy diamond or comfortably numb i cant decide
    Good choices. "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" is unbelievably long, though, about 26 minutes, but still an exceptional song. "Comfortably Numb" is a great one, too. I personally like "Another Brick in the Wall", "Money", "Time", and "The Great Gig in the Sky".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree