1. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 13:24
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    NO foul! Since you did not like the answer here's a riddle: Variegated dullness speaks of he who oft stumbles upon his own feet. Previously known as "a mighty hunter before the Lord".
    Nimrod?
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 14:00
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Nimrod?
    You're good! indeed Nimrod. There is a nearby street, Nimrod Ln. Neighborhood wanted it changed because of its more recent implication. Overwhelmingly more votes to keep such a unique sounding name. The "hunter" explanation put it over the top with votes in favor!
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 14:01
    That's part of the answer but not the connection.
    Maria then!
  4. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 14:05
    Elgar wrote the first piece of music alluding to drugs some 60+ years before the Beatles.
    Are were forgetting the love potion in Tristan und Isolde? Of course, L'Elisir d'Amore is also about a love potion, though it turns out only to be cheap red wine. Still, wine is the oldest and the best drug of all!

Hier im ird'schen Jammertal
    Wär' doch nichts als Plack und Qual,
    Trüg' der Stock nicht Trauben;
    Darum bis zum letzten Hauch
    Setz' ich auf Gott Bacchus Bauch
    Meinen festen Glauben!
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 14:521 edit
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    Are were forgetting the love potion in Tristan und Isolde? Of course, L'Elisir d'Amore is also about a love potion, though it turns out only to be cheap red wine. Still, wine is the oldest and the best drug of all!

Hier im ird'schen Jammertal
    Wär' doch nichts als Plack und Qual,
    Trüg' der Stock nicht Trauben;
    Darum bis zum letzten Hauch
    Setz' ich auf Gott Bacchus Bauch
    Meinen festen Glauben!
    Street corner pharmacist drugs, not those made in the still although I don't disagree that alcohol is as addictive. Great examples of love potions, but the one in Tristan is supposed to be the real thing. Also, neither Donizetti or Wagner is Elgar! LOL Doesn't Medea drug her children before killing them, an even earlier allusion to drugs?
  6. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 15:09
    Maria then!
    The answer is that they are the first names of three composers who were related to three more famous composers of the same name.

CPE Bach
    Alessandro Scarlatti
    Fanny Mendelssohn
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 15:24
    The answer is that they are the first names of three composers who were related to three more famous composers of the same name.

CPE Bach
    Alessandro Scarlatti
    Fanny Mendelssohn
    At least I got one right. Trivia can be tricky and tough! I saw Carl and though of Carl Maria von Weber and guessed that perhaps Fanny was Maria and Domenico also. Far off, eh?
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 15:26
    Here's a new one: Looking back this composer moved music forward creating a whole new genre. Who is he and how far back did he look?
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 17:32
    Street corner pharmacist drugs, not those made in the still although I don't disagree that alcohol is as addictive. Great examples of love potions, but the one in Tristan is supposed to be the real thing. Also, neither Donizetti or Wagner is Elgar! LOL Doesn't Medea drug her children before killing them, an even earlier allusion to drugs?
    What about the potions in Midsummer Nights Dream?
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 18:30
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What about the potions in Midsummer Nights Dream?
    Potions are within the realm of regular pharmacopaea and still Midsummer Night's Dream is not Elgar's, but Mendelssohn's and in the end just a dream. I love the incidental music and the ballet music to Shakespeare's play. I am sure he would have approved of Mendelssohn wholeheartedly.
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '13 21:45
    You can't leave. Why? Because the next one is for you. Who is the third of the three great Sch's? Hint: His body lays at Pere Lachaise, his heart far away to the north.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 01:47
    I have some trivia on Magazine's "Magic, Murder and the Weather (1981)" which was classic new wave. Does it count?
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 02:451 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have some trivia on Magazine's "Magic, Murder and the Weather (1981)" which was classic new wave. Does it count?
    No. Only answers or actual music trivia.

Here's one for you: Two old world gents meet in new world. One's last name is same as Mo's. He goes on to marry Wanda and live happily ever after in NYC. Mo's last name namesake is a world class pianist when he meets Wanda.

Here's another: Of the three great Sch's one is buried almost entirely at Pere Lachaise.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 02:50
    No. Only answers or actual music trivia.
    I get that this thread is about "trivia". But what's "actual music"? 🙂
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 11:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    I get that this thread is about "trivia". But what's "actual music"? 🙂
    Classical in the strictest sense or serious music if you prefer that term.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree