1. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 13:03
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    No. Only answers or actual music trivia.

Here's another: Of the three great Sch's one is buried almost entirely at Pere Lachaise.
    Chopin?

Is there is well-known phrase a bit like 'The three Rs' (Reading, Writing and 'Rithmatic) which goes 'The three great Schs - Schubert, Schumann and Chopin' or did you make it up? I've not come across it before.
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 22:071 edit
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Chopin?

Is there is well-known phrase a bit like 'The three Rs' (Reading, Writing and 'Rithmatic) which goes 'The three great Schs - Schubert, Schumann and Chopin' or did you make it up? I've not come across it before.
    Did not make it up. Chopin is indeed second of the three Sch's simply because Nicholas Slonimsky, the famous music catalog/dictionary writer lumps them together, and explains the phonetically the belong together as they do in greatness musically speaking and largely greatest exponents of the "Romantic Period. Beethoven, although a supreme Romantic also spans into the Classical period so not a pure Romantic like the three Sch's were. Chopin is the middle one by virtue of being born 3-1-1810 and Schumann 6-2-1810. Indeed same as the three B's since music has no three R's to consider together, the three B's being Bach, Beethoven and Brahms.

Now, how about giving this unanswered one a crack?
    Looking back this composer moved music forward creating a whole new genre. Who is he and how far back did he look?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 22:261 edit
    Did not make it up. Chopin is indeed second of the three Sch's simply because Nicholas Slonimsky, the famous music catalog/dictionary writer lumps them together, and explains the phonetically the belong together as they do in greatness musically speaking and largely greatest exponents of the "Romantic Period. Beethoven, although a supreme Romantic also er moved music forward creating a whole new genre. Who is he and how far back did he look?
    What about the OTHER 3 B's, Bartok, Berlios and Bruckner?

I'm still working on the forward composer🙂

Ok, my guess, Igor Stravinsky. His later works called back to Bach and other fugue makers.
  4. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Apr '13 11:422 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse

Ok, my guess, Igor Stravinsky. His later works called back to Bach and other fugue makers.
    In the UK there is a quiz programme called Pointless. They ask 100 people a question, and you have to guess a correct answer that the fewest people selected. In the final round you get to choose a category and you get three guesses. If one of these answers hasn't been given by anyone, you win the jackpot.

Classical music is often in the list, but no-one ever chooses it. I am sure that the question is 'Name a classical composer beginning with the letter B'. I would lay money that Beethoven would be the worst answer.

I even have my answers ready. Boyce, Biber and Buxtehude.

The one problem is, what if people answered just 'Bach'. If you said CPE Bach, would they count the answers for JS as well?

These are the kind of things I think about at 3.00am in the morning.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '13 12:13
    Originally posted by sonhouse

Many excellent B's besides the big three. One hugely influential one rarely mentioned is Dietrich Buxtehude, born a Dane, but ethnic German. Legend has it Bach walked 200 miles just to listen to him and get some pointers. Indeed Bach attended, but 200 miles in the time it allegedly was walked is impossible. Someone hand-typoed another zero.

I would also add Bellini to the great B's. Berlioz is a giant of the B's and hugely influenced Wagner.

Stravinsky is a great guess, but he did not trigger a whole new music genre. My mystery composer did. I'll add another hint. His name is a prefix for "the edges" and words thus contructed.
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '13 12:20
    In the UK there is a quiz programme called Pointless. They ask 100 people a question, and you have to guess a correct answer that the fewest people selected. In the final round you get to choose a category and you get three guesses. If one of these answers hasn't been given by anyone, you win the jackpot.

Classical music is often in the list, bu ...[text shortened]... ers for JS as well?

These are the kind of things I think about at 3.00am in the morning.
    I feel as if slapped by a feathery white glove! LOL Admittedly pointless, but fun. Music trivia is interesting in that artists in general are quirky minds to begin with. I find music special in that it must be done line by line and the whole can never be beheld in it's entirety unlike a painting. I have always thought of what a mind blowing experience being able to view a whole symphony/opera/oratorio in it's entirety in one swoop of the mental eye. Even smaller works boggle the mind. Try for example last of Verdi's Quattro Pezzi Sacri, the Te Deum. Fifiteen minutes long yet never repeats a musical phrase! Bombastic and peculiar, yet incredibly constructed and gives a glimpse into a great musical mind. IN the clip below Verdi and Buonarroti are mixed together:

YouTube
  7. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Apr '13 12:39
    Many excellent B's besides the big three. One hugely influential one rarely mentioned is Dietrich Buxtehude, born a Dane, but ethnic German. Legend has it Bach walked 200 miles just to listen to him and get some pointers. Indeed Bach attended, but 200 miles in the time it allegedly was walked is impossible. Someone hand-typoed another zero.

I would ...[text shortened]... id. I'll add another hint. His name is a prefix for "the edges" and words thus contructed.
    Alban Berg?
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '13 12:45
    Alban Berg?
    First wrong answer you've given. Think about it. Berg cannot be credited for a whole new genre, plus he never looked back, but forward. Arnold Schoenberg is the father of Berg's ideas, great as Berg was.

One more answer and I'll give the answer.
  9. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Apr '13 13:43
    First wrong answer you've given. Think about it. Berg cannot be credited for a whole new genre, plus he never looked back, but forward. Arnold Schoenberg is the father of Berg's ideas, great as Berg was.

In my defence:

As the 20th century closed, the 'backward-looking' Berg suddenly came as [George] Perle remarked, to look like its most forward-looking composer.

Source : Wikipedia

But I agree, it was a pretty hopeless stab in the dark.
  10. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Apr '13 13:49

Paul Hindemith?
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '13 14:24
    Paul Hindemith?
    Jacopo Peri, one of history's most influential composers. His revolutionary score is not even extant, yet he changed music forever. He was looking to emulate Greek musical theater, looking backwards 2000 years+ and instead ushered in Opera. His masterwork, Dafne, composed in Florence in the late Renaissance circa 1597 influenced Monteverdi and many, many others. So much so many greats saw themselves as opera composers first, like Mozart.

"Jacopo Peri (20 August 1561 – 12 August 1633) was an Italian composer and singer of the transitional period between the Renaissance and Baroque styles, and is often called the inventor of opera. He wrote the first work to be called an opera today, Dafne (around 1597), and also the first opera to have survived to the present day, Euridice (1600)."

"In the 1590s, Peri became associated with Jacopo Corsi, the leading patron of music in Florence. They believed contemporary art was inferior to classical Greek and Roman works, and decided to attempt to recreate Greek tragedy, as they understood it. Their work added to that of the Florentine Camerata of the previous decade, which produced the first experiments in monody, the solo song style over continuo bass which eventually developed into recitative and aria. Peri and Corsi brought in the poet Ottavio Rinuccini to write a text, and the result, Dafne, though nowadays thought to be a long way from anything the Greeks would have recognised, is seen as the first work in a new form, opera." (last two paragraphs from Wiki)
  12. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Apr '13 14:40
    Six cryptic clues. Take the first letter of the answer to each and then solve the anagram to find another word connected to classical music.

1. Learning to play these orchestral instruments would need to be drummed into you. Put the kettle on first!

2. Does this composer woof frequently?

3. Can you unravel this composer's first name?

4. Or the first name of this composer who lived in a world full of policemen?

5. You would want more than a brief encounter with this composer.

6. Sounds like this priest was not too hard to handle.
  13. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Apr '13 14:42
    Jacopo Peri, one of history's most influential composers. His revolutionary score is not even extant, yet he changed music forever. He was looking to emulate Greek musical theater, looking backwards 2000 years+ and instead ushered in Opera. His masterwork, Dafne, composed in Florence in the late Renaissance circa 1597 influenced Monteverdi and many, man ...[text shortened]... ecognised, is seen as the first work in a new form, opera." (last two paragraphs from Wiki)
    Well above my classical music pay grade, that one.

🙂
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '13 15:02
    Well above my classical music pay grade, that one.

🙂
    I see you are a vindictive man! Yours makes any my riddles seem like mere child's play! LOL
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '13 15:05
    Six cryptic clues. Take the first letter of the answer to each and then solve the anagram to find another word connected to classical music.

1. Learning to play these orchestral instruments would need to be drummed into you. Put the kettle on first!

2. Does this composer woof frequently?

3. Can you unravel this composer's first name?

4. O ...[text shortened]... a brief encounter with this composer.

6. Sounds like this priest was not too hard to handle.
    1. Learning to play these orchestral instruments would need to be drummed into you. Put the kettle on first! Timpani

2. Does this composer woof frequently? Barktok (LOL)

3. Can you unravel this composer's first name? Maurice(Ravel)

4. Or the first name of this composer who lived in a world full of policemen? Dmitiri Shostackovich

5. You would want more than a brief encounter with this composer. John Cage

6. Sounds like this priest was not too hard to handle. Vivaldi

I am too way off to solve the anagram!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree