1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 12:42

I saw that on your profile. Composition is very, very hard. On what instrument though?What genre? Religious, perhaps? Hymn writing is a long lost art. I am a devout Catholic. I read a book a couple of years ago about how Catholic Music sux.

I compose in a number of styles. I have put much scripture to song and composition. And I have taken advantage of the marvelous music writing software to write for orchestra and chamber groups.

I agree entirely excepting the works of the great masters like Verdi, Haydn, Berlioz, Faure, Pergolesi, Allegri, Palestrina, Boccherini, Vivaldi and so many others.

Of those in your list I have not heard much of Pergelosi, Allegri.

But YouTube us marvelous for discovering lesser known composers or considerable worth.

Recommend some works from these people to explore.

[quote
    Have you ever lsitened to Antonio Caldara's Stabat Mater?
    [/quote]

No I have not yet. The Book of the Seven Seals by Franze Schmidt is a recent choral work I heard.

I suppose my favorite Catholic composer has to be Anton Bruckner.

Unique and way ahead of its time. BTW, Elgar is another Catholic composer of genius. I too have heard of another deaf composer, but I cannot remember who it is off hand other than Clara Wieck, wife of Schumann.

Elgar's first symphony I take very personally. It reminds me of my life's story in a way. But this is probably subjective.

He opens with a simple hymn like tune. Then restlessly he wanders awat from it as if it is a memory that he cannot quite recall. He wanders around it as if trying to get back to it. Finally in the end of the symphony he seems to rediscover its simplicity.

Now this is my own subjective take on the Elgar First Symphony. I am sure there are other ways to hear it. But this is how it aways seems to touch me. For it is simplicity followed by a long and beautiful meandering around only to return in the conclusion.

Some chamber music of Elgar has also struck me as I studied the score while listneing.

However, I'd never include her among the greats despite being quite competent. BTW, I just got the Greenberg book for my teenage son so he can learn a little more about music appreciation. Great book indeed.

CDs at the library is what I heard. He has a number of series of different subjects. I have found that those chosen to participate in the Teaching Company are usually real world class teachers in their field.

I have heard at least one Clara W Schumann work which was very good.

I will most definitely look up Roussel.

I like 20th century music.

Better than Berlioz and Faure? Cesar Franck is not French, but made his career in Paris. Better than Franck? Gounod, Massenet? Tchaikovsky-Mahler? Apples and oranges. I love both.

Different from Berlioz. It took me a long time to appreciate Berlioz.
    Roussel is on the latter side of Debussy. So this Frenchness is not like Berlioz in that regard.

I would consider him closer to Faure but probably a little more daring in the harmony. Faure is obviously lovely in tune and color an melody. Roussel first symphony is more in this style. But with the second symphony it is more daring in modernism. Still his work with woodwinds I consider very good.

And I do hear some Franck and Franck was so enfluential to the latter composers. So I don't know a lot of Franck I would say the enfluence of Franck on Roussel is evident.

Another Frenchman I like is Albrich Magnard. Try his 4th symphony and his Hymn to Venus.

Here's another trivia question for you and "rank outsider". This composer wrote a hymn for a FA football club. Composer and team, please!?

Don't have a clue. However I had a fellow student who wrote a little ditty for the local sports news. Everytime they played that little piece he earned $100 I believe.

Is it a British composer? Their great at marshal sounding music, ie. William Walton.
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 13:03
    Originally posted by sonship

I saw that on your profile. Composition is very, very hard. On what instrument though?What genre? Religious, perhaps? Hymn writing is a long lost art. I am a devout Catholic. I read a book a couple of years ago about how Catholic Music sux.

I compose in a number of styles. I have put much scripture to song and composition. And I hav ...[text shortened]...
    Is it a British composer? Their great at marshal sounding music, ie. William Walton.
    Pergolesi never became the standard for church music of his era like Palestrina, but was eminently genial in his writing, never stuffy or rigid. Pergolesi is better know for his opera buffa "La Serva Padrona", but his Stabat Mater is wonderful:
    YouTube.

Allegri wrote the famous "Miserere" kept under guard and only brought out during HOly Week at the Sistine Chapel. It was considered so holy no one was allowed to even look at the score unless it was the performers/conductor. Mozart, then 17, heard it and wrote the entire score from one hearing, heard it again for minor corrections. This is hands down one of history's most beautiful pieces of sacred music.
    YouTube

I shall look up your suggestions. There is much to enjoy and lovein obscure composers. Here's Caldara's Stabat Mater:
    YouTube
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 13:16
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Mozart, then 17, heard it and wrote the entire score from one hearing, heard it again for minor corrections.
    I heard he was 14. I have also seen the story told with 12 as his age.

Either way, what is clear is that PR and 'spin' was alive and well in the 18th century.

😉
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 14:29
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Pergolesi never became the standard for church music of his era like Palestrina, but was eminently genial in his writing, never stuffy or rigid. Pergolesi is better know for his opera buffa "La Serva Padrona", but his Stabat Mater is wonderful:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mrVZHPikqM.

Allegri wrote the famous "Miserere" kept under guard and only ...[text shortened]... re composers. Here's Caldara's Stabat Mater:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOFXe4jb4LM
    You got me interested. I will check it out.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    26 Apr '13 16:49
    Originally posted by sonship
    You got me interested. I will check it out.
    While you're at it check out Palestrina's Missa Papae Marcelli:

YouTube
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    02 May '13 02:551 edit
    Check out Hildegarde von Bingen, Abbess, genius before da Vinci in multiple disciplines. Conducted most if not all her research/work in her 4x4 ft cell.

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree