1. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    26 Jul '09 15:46
    which do you like, and with which foods?

i'm a fan of horseradish with steak, though mushroom sauce can be good too.

i like to rub Tuscan herbs into chicken and fry it in a little olive oil.

fresh coriander would have to be my favourite herb.

on ham sandwiches i like hot mustard, or mango chutney with ginger, or sometimes gherkin relish.
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '09 16:18
    Curry! Italian parsley. Fresh black pepper. Jalapeno or serrano on almost anything. BBQ sauce. Fresh salsa. Spicy mayo with chipotle. Serranos pickled in balsamic vinegar. Ginger like the Japanese use with sushi on almost anything. Chocolate in chicken as in mole!
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    26 Jul '09 17:33
    Chili (all types though 'pasilla' and 'serrano' are my tops), coriander, lemon, salt & pepper.

For meat dishes, nothing else is needed, actually.

🙂
  4. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 06:29
    I also like horseradish and curries; the hotter the better. I don't like most sauces because they're dull and I LOVE hot peppers, the hotter the better.
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 Jul '09 07:21
    Here's a recipe I like, and I invite you all to try it and let me know if it blew your mind.

All you need is

1 lemon (I guess some call the green, small one "lime"😉
    1/2 onion
    1 habanero chile

You put in a small bowl the chopped onion and the chopped habanero, then squeeze the juice of the lemon. Mix it. Then cover it and leave it in the fridge for an hour or so.

Then, take a good steak with the usual salt & pepper, 3 minutes each side, of course, and then just put the habanero, onion & lemon on top of the steak, once it is placed on the plate.

Enjoy.
  6. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    28 Jul '09 01:461 edit
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Here's a recipe I like, and I invite you all to try it and let me know if it blew your mind.

All you need is

1 lemon (I guess some call the green, small one "lime"😉
    1/2 onion
    1 habanero chile

You put in a small bowl the chopped onion and the chopped habanero, then squeeze the juice of the lemon. Mix it. Then cover it and leave it in the fridge for ...[text shortened]... ut the habanero, onion & lemon on top of the steak, once it is placed on the plate.

Enjoy.
    Habaneros are satan's intestinal darts - if I get within spitting distance of one, I spend the next day praying for death! I salute you! However, I make a similar marinade with jalapeno and the addition of garlic. As for preferences, I have stated many times that I worship fervently at the altar of the Onion God! Food itself is not possible without onions.
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    28 Jul '09 02:44
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    Habaneros are satan's intestinal darts - if I get within spitting distance of one, I spend the next day praying for death! I salute you! However, I make a similar marinade with jalapeno and the addition of garlic. As for preferences, I have stated many times that I worship fervently at the altar of the Onion God! Food itself is not possible without onions.
    I'm with you. Not a fan of habaneros. Too intense and flavor killing. Onions and garlic are the cornerstone of all cooking. Have you tried roasting onions in foil on a coal fire? Roasted garlic is also excellent just smeared on good crusty bread. Do you mind posting your favorite onion dish?
  8. Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    28 Jul '09 05:27
    Garam Marsala - Fantastic when I use it in home made Pumpkin and Sweet Potato soup. Fry it off with some onions and chilli before you add the stock and other vegetables.
  9. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    28 Jul '09 06:451 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    I'm with you. Not a fan of habaneros. Too intense and flavor killing. Onions and garlic are the cornerstone of all cooking. Have you tried roasting onions in foil on a coal fire? Roasted garlic is also excellent just smeared on good crusty bread. Do you mind posting your favorite onion dish?
    Hey, marinating with lemon and chopped onions really tempers habaneros down. Trust me!
  10. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    28 Jul '09 07:06
    Curry! Italian parsley. Fresh black pepper. Jalapeno or serrano on almost anything. BBQ sauce. Fresh salsa. Spicy mayo with chipotle. Serranos pickled in balsamic vinegar. Ginger like the Japanese use with sushi on almost anything. Chocolate in chicken as in mole!
    Curry!

i'm really into curry too - i went through a phase of mixing all the individual spices together in different combinations to reflect the dishes of various countries and regions, but i don't have time these days so i just use the pre-mixed powders. my favourite of these is a Malaysian chicken curry powder by Ayam. i also like Sri Lankan powders in which the individual spices have been roasted before mixing - give a unique flavour. Thai curries (red, green, mussaman, etc.) made with coconut milk are great.

Ginger like the Japanese use with sushi on almost anything.

and wasabi mixed in with soy sauce!

Chocolate in chicken as in mole!

only tried this once, in a Mexican restaurant in Melbourne that''s noted for the authenticity of its dishes. didn't seem spectacularly good, but i'd try it again if in/near Mexico.

i had plenty of kim chi while in Seoul - not wild about the stuff, but it's ok. lots of different kinds, so it's a matter of finding ones you like.
  11. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    28 Jul '09 14:30
    I'll just offer a technique now. To make great burgers (I usually mix lean ground beef with a little ground pork) chop very fine some garlic and onions then sprinkle coarse salt over them and use the blade of a large knife or cleaver to mash the mixture into a paste (keep working it back and forth), add coarse ground pepper and mix with meat mixture and grill. My wife loves mini-burgers made this way. All you need for condiments is a dollop of ketchup or mustard.
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 01:22
    Originally posted by Blackamp
    [b]Curry!

i'm really into curry too - i went through a phase of mixing all the individual spices together in different combinations to reflect the dishes of various countries and regions, but i don't have time these days so i just use the pre-mixed powders. my favourite of these is a Malaysian chicken curry powder by Ayam. i also like Sri Lankan powd ...[text shortened]... stuff, but it's ok. lots of different kinds, so it's a matter of finding ones you like.[/b]
    Your description makes my mouth water. I love trying different curries. I make my own from scratch. We have a wonderful Indian market nearby. Ingredients are no problem.

If you're ever in NYC try the curry at the different places around 3rd ave and 4th st. Little India. Few non-Indians eat there. Wonderful! Perhaps you would like a chocolateless mole-like dish called Pipian. Ground up sesame seed mixed into the the mole chili combo sans the choco stuff. Wonderful on pork, chicken or other meats.
    Have never tried kim chi.
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 01:22
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    I'll just offer a technique now. To make great burgers (I usually mix lean ground beef with a little ground pork) chop very fine some garlic and onions then sprinkle coarse salt over them and use the blade of a large knife or cleaver to mash the mixture into a paste (keep working it back and forth), add coarse ground pepper and mix with meat mixture and ...[text shortened]... oves mini-burgers made this way. All you need for condiments is a dollop of ketchup or mustard.
    Thank you! Sounds great!
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 01:24
    Originally posted by Zort Boy
    Garam Marsala - Fantastic when I use it in home made Pumpkin and Sweet Potato soup. Fry it off with some onions and chilli before you add the stock and other vegetables.
    Do you have a recipe? garam is ancient! Dates back to ancient Rome! I can never find recipes I like. Anything with the word Marsala in it usually tastes great!
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 01:52
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Hey, marinating with lemon and chopped onions really tempers habaneros down. Trust me!
    We don't trust you. Your recipe sounds venomous, poisonous and downright 911 call inducing!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree