1. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 06:28
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    We don't trust you. Your recipe sounds venomous, poisonous and downright 911 call inducing!
    Wussy!
  2. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 08:522 edits
    Your description makes my mouth water. I love trying different curries. I make my own from scratch. We have a wonderful Indian market nearby. Ingredients are no problem.

If you're ever in NYC try the curry at the different places around 3rd ave and 4th st. Little India. Few non-Indians eat there. Wonderful! Perhaps you would like a chocolateless mole ...[text shortened]... mbo sans the choco stuff. Wonderful on pork, chicken or other meats.
    Have never tried kim chi.
    you might like this book, 50 Great Curries of India:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/1856265463/ref=sib_rdr_toc/276-6431605-8183864?ie=UTF8&p=S007&j=0#reader-page

i'm no great chef, but i've made several of these, and they've all turned out fine. each recipe comes with a bit of a potted history, including its region of origin, and there are sections on technique, ingredients and the role of each, accompaniments and so on. each recipe has a photo, to show how it ought to look. many different styles - kormas, vindaloos, and less well-known ones.

the recipes and photos take up about 100pp. in a 220+ pp. book.
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 11:41
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Wussy!
    Just thinking of your recipe gives me a wussy ache! I like hot that fades away. Habaneros just lingers on and on!
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 11:45
    Originally posted by Blackamp
    you might like this book, 50 Great Curries of India:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/1856265463/ref=sib_rdr_toc/276-6431605-8183864?ie=UTF8&p=S007&j=0#reader-page

i'm no great chef, but i've made several of these, and they've all turned out fine. each recipe comes with a bit of a potted history, including its region of origin, and there are sections ...[text shortened]... and less well-known ones.

the recipes and photos take up about 100pp. in a 220+ pp. book.
    Thanks! I'll give the book a try. I love korma, even vegetarian korma. That's one great sauce! I'm no chef either but love tooling around the kitchen. Thai food also has great curries and sauces. I love their peanuty, creamy, heavenly, fiery cuisine! There used to be a sensational Thai buffet near my office. Gone now, never forgotten! Wah!!!!
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 13:08
    Just thinking of your recipe gives me a wussy ache! I like hot that fades away. Habaneros just lingers on and on!
    Ok, do my recipe but change the habanero for a fresh serrano, or even a jalapeño.

However, if you use a jalapeño, add few drops of vinegar to the original recipe.

Then report back your impressions, please.
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 20:01
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Ok, do my recipe but change the habanero for a fresh serrano, or even a jalapeño.

However, if you use a jalapeño, add few drops of vinegar to the original recipe.

Then report back your impressions, please.
    That sounds like a great alternative. I will try it and report back to you! I am not a wuss when it comes to serranos or jalapeños, just habaneros.
  7. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 03:48
    Thanks! I'll give the book a try. I love korma, even vegetarian korma. That's one great sauce! I'm no chef either but love tooling around the kitchen. Thai food also has great curries and sauces. I love their peanuty, creamy, heavenly, fiery cuisine! There used to be a sensational Thai buffet near my office. Gone now, never forgotten! Wah!!!!
    no shortage of good Thai places downunder! also Italian, Greek, Chinese (Cantonese, HK, Sichuan mainly), Vietnamese, Malaysian, Japanese, and Indian.

not a lot of authentic Mexican or Cajun places though.
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 11:39
    Originally posted by Blackamp
    no shortage of good Thai places downunder! also Italian, Greek, Chinese (Cantonese, HK, Sichuan mainly), Vietnamese, Malaysian, Japanese, and Indian.

not a lot of authentic Mexican or Cajun places though.
    Experimentng with exotic cuisine is always an adventure in other countries. Most of the time one should not bother. Although the smells from the Chinese restaurants in Rome smelled heavenly. No use in trying Chines in Italy when real Italian was there to haunt me.

Malaysian cuisine is also rather interesting and exotic. That's too bad you have no real Mexican or Cajun. great stuff.I also love BBQ if done right. When and if you're ever in Texas gotta try BBQ in Lockhart, TX!
  9. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 04:48
    I'm a Tabasco sauce man. I put it on everything except toothpaste raisin sandwiches.
  10. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    15 Aug '09 02:02
    Henderson's relish.
  11. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    18 Aug '09 02:05
    I also like mustard while listening to fine Indian music such as this.
    YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree