Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. 23 Sep '11 08:58
    I saw an announcement on TV,.. that Dance has been declared as a Sport.

    I thought it was an art form.

    Your views?
  2. Standard member karoly aczel
    the Devil himself
    23 Sep '11 10:42
    Originally posted by shahenshah
    I saw an announcement on TV,.. that Dance has been declared as a Sport.

    I thought it was an art form.

    Your views?
    Is chess a sport?
  3. Standard member yosiman
    Genius
    24 Sep '11 04:16 / 1 edit
    Is hacky sack a sport?

    Btw I think of dance as an art form, but my sister competes in it (ballroom) and there are judges so maybe the sport argument has some validity.
  4. Standard member karoly aczel
    the Devil himself
    24 Sep '11 06:21
    Originally posted by yosiman
    Is hacky sack a sport?

    Btw I think of dance as an art form, but my sister competes in it (ballroom) and there are judges so maybe the sport argument has some validity.
    Hackey sack? Of course it's a sport 😉
  5. 25 Sep '11 11:06
    Originally posted by yosiman
    Is hacky sack a sport?

    Btw I think of dance as an art form, but my sister competes in it (ballroom) and there are judges so maybe the sport argument has some validity.
    If you need a judge, who puts a (often highly personal) value on a performance, it's not a sport but a performance art.

    In sports, you have rules which decide who wins, not opinions. Of course one can differ in opinion on whether a certain decision by a referee was correct or not, but when you get down to it, that decision either was or was not correct. It was not a matter of "I think this schwalbe was worth 7.4 points"; it was a matter of "This was/was not a schwalbe".

    Richard
  6. Standard member yosiman
    Genius
    25 Sep '11 22:23
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    If you need a judge, who puts a (often highly personal) value on a performance, it's not a sport but a performance art.

    In sports, you have rules which decide who wins, not opinions. Of course one can differ in opinion on whether a certain decision by a referee was correct or not, but when you get down to it, that decision either was or was not corr ...[text shortened]... chwalbe was worth 7.4 points"; it was a matter of "This was/was not a schwalbe".

    Richard
    That makes sense, yet I've always considered snowboarding and skateboarding sports and those have judges as well.
  7. Standard member karoly aczel
    the Devil himself
    26 Sep '11 03:28 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by yosiman
    That makes sense, yet I've always considered snowboarding and skateboarding sports and those have judges as well.
    Sports have "judges" in the form of referees who MAY serve the same purpose helping one team, (or indivual), beat the other!😞
  8. 26 Sep '11 09:58
    Originally posted by yosiman
    That makes sense, yet I've always considered snowboarding and skateboarding sports and those have judges as well.
    It doesn't make sense.
  9. 26 Sep '11 22:18
    sport/spôrt/Noun: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

    Dance has always been a sport... one of the most physical ones.
  10. 27 Sep '11 03:53
    If physical exertion was a defining criteria then chess would not be sport.
    But chess, especially in a tournament or championship level is definitely a strain on the player. Perhaps mental strain is just as much, if not more of an exertion than physical strain.

    But to say that dance is just a sport, it is much more than a sport, it is an art-form.
    The weightlifter doesn't make this sport an art, does he?
  11. 27 Sep '11 08:25
    The weightlifter doesn't make this sport an art, does he?[/b]
    Should have read as
    "The weightlifter doesn't make his sport an art, does he?"
  12. 27 Sep '11 20:11
    Originally posted by yosiman
    That makes sense, yet I've always considered snowboarding and skateboarding sports and those have judges as well.
    Well, I'm stubborn - I don't consider those sports, either. And ski jumping only half - the distance part of the score is a sport, the style part is a performance art. In fact, I first considered this when they suddenly started demanding the style (cross-skied, I think, BICBW) which had been most vituperously marked down in the previous years.

    Richard
  13. 27 Sep '11 20:14
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Sports have "judges" in the form of referees who MAY serve the same purpose helping one team, (or indivual), beat the other!😞
    Ye-hesss... but they shouldn't. Referees are there, in principle, only to decide on infractions and applications of the rules. And those rules are, or should be, clear. In other words, two ideal referees can be swapped around and not a jot would change about their decisions.
    Two judges, by contrast, give their aesthetical opinion, which reasonably can and does differ. In fact, it should differ. That's why they have a board of judges, and not just one.

    Richard
  14. 27 Sep '11 20:16
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    sport/spôrt/Noun: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.
    Then competitive eating is also a sport, as is giving your classmates Indian burns.

    Richard
  15. 30 Sep '11 03:36 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Then competitive eating is also a sport, as is giving your classmates Indian burns.

    Richard
    What is wrong with that? Who decided a sport has to be established? Who said it had to be professional?


    And to the person who said chess doesn't take physical exertion... pshawww!