1. weedhopper
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 22:41
    I couldn't decide if this should go here, or in SCIENCE, or maybe even GENERAL.

Does anyone know what formula is used on that show Howie Mandel hosts, Deal or no Deal, to determine how much money the banker offers the contestant to walk away with, instead of trying for the million dollar case?
  2. Out To Lunch
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 23:05
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd

Does anyone know what formula is used on that show Howie Mandel hosts, Deal or no Deal, to determine how much money the banker offers the contestant to walk away with, instead of trying for the million dollar case?
    Beats me, but it seems like it is something around the average of all of them. That's just a wild guess from only watching a couple of shoes, so it's probably far off.
  3. In your face
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 23:19

Million dollars? They only get offered five hundred thousand pounds here in the UK! 🙁
  4. Out To Lunch
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 23:27
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    Million dollars? They only get offered five hundred thousand pounds here in the UK! 🙁
    That is so wrong. What's the exchange rate again?
  5. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    14 Jun '08 00:43
    I made a spreadsheet that gives the expected value of the contestants case. On the SA version of the show, the banker always seemed to offer about 60% of its expected value.

The fomula for the expected value is simple. Just add up the value of the unopened cases (including the contestant's) and divide by the number of unopened cases.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jun '08 13:20
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    I made a spreadsheet that gives the expected value of the contestants case. On the SA version of the show, the banker always seemed to offer about 60% of its expected value.

The fomula for the expected value is simple. Just add up the value of the unopened cases (including the contestant's) and divide by the number of unopened cases.
    So you have an unknown divided by an unknown. Wow. Now THATS a big help.🙂
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 05:09
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So you have an unknown divided by an unknown. Wow. Now THATS a big help.🙂
    x1 + x2 + x3....etc

Y

where x equals case values remaining and Y equals the number of cases remaining.

These aren't Unknowns and it is very easy to calcuate.
  8. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 10:21
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    Which at the moment is worth around $978,700. So pretty close.
  9. At the Revolution
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 15:11
    Originally posted by kfennessy
    That is so wrong. What's the exchange rate again?
    Under Bush? Something like 1 euro = 500,000 USD. OK, more like 1 euro = 1.2 USD
  10. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 16:18
    Originally posted by scherzo
    Under Bush? Something like 1 euro = 500,000 USD. OK, more like 1 euro = 1.2 USD
    Just over 1.5. The dollar is weak, and the euro is very strong at the moment.
  11. At the Revolution
    Moves
    17 Jun '08 23:45
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Ouch. I'm more behind the times on my country's economy than usual.
  12. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 06:00
    Originally posted by mtthw
    1,000,000 dollars is approx £506,739

Actually the top prize in the UK is £250,000 though.
    And identical values of boxes left in different games have had differing results from the banker, leading one to believe he has some leeway and does not follow a formula strictly.
  13. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 09:22
    Originally posted by kfennessy
    Beats me, but it seems like it is something around the average of all of them. That's just a wild guess from only watching a couple of shoes, so it's probably far off.
    Who's shoes are you watching and why?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree