09 Jan '13 18:01

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Jan '13 17:502 edits
    Joni Mitchell 'Court and Spark' (I was a free man in paris) Brilliant is a weak word to describe Joni.

Alternately, the bootleg Joni Mitchel/James Taylor acoustic concert from around 1962 live. If you can find it, a real jewel.

George Winston December (a bit biased since he is a personal friend🙂

Martin Simpson and Jessica Ruby Simpson 'Band of angels'

Richard Thompson Vincent Black Lightning 1952. A song that sounds like a movie.
    Guitar playing incredible!

Rory Block: When a Woman Gets the Blues.
    Best white women country blues guitarist of all time.

Also The last of the Leviathans!

Eleanor shanley and Ronnie Drew Restless farewell and Parting Glass

Mavis Staples Hard times come again no more (Without a doubt the best version of this song ever done!

Take a listen to her Youtube:

YouTube

Dougie Mclean Caladonia.

YouTube

Pentangle House Carpenter!

YouTube&playnext=1&list=AL94UKMTqg-

9AVQVz-ibwtPUxom-loHJ6g

Bruce Molsky Drunkards Hiccups
    YouTube
  4. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    21 Jan '13 03:53
    Originally posted by sonhouse

Dougie Mclean Caladonia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP8A9rtg0iI

It's been a few years since I've heard Caladonia...it makes me feel homesick for no rational reason...a lovely melancholy feeling. Thank you for posting it.

I'm working on my list of discs as a welcome diversion from English Lit. assignments.
  5. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    21 Jan '13 05:28
    Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
    Grateful Dead: American Beauty
    Beatles: Abbey Road
    Joan Baez: Any Day Now
    Mary Black: No Frontiers
    Puccini: La bohème
    Bob Dylan: Blonde on Blonde
    Ravi Shankar: Chants of India
    Religious text: Tao Te Ching
    Luxury: I wouldn’t take any “luxury,” the rest on the desert island would BE the luxury
    Book: The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson
    Disc I would keep: Dark Side of the Moon…It’s the one album on the list that I don’t sing with and just listen to…
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jan '13 11:49
    Originally posted by hakima
    It's been a few years since I've heard Caladonia...it makes me feel homesick for no rational reason...a lovely melancholy feeling. Thank you for posting it.

I'm working on my list of discs as a welcome diversion from English Lit. assignments.
    The link I posted was a bit different instrumentally than the original which had two guitar tracks or maybe a guitar and mandola, I saw one in the latest video. I always thought the original acoustic intro was one of the nicest in the genre but the new video showing a mature Dougie is very very good also!
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 01:001 edit
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    I also wonder if we ought to warn scacchipazzo about this, for the sake of his health. I think his head might explode when he is asked to narrow his choice down to eight, let alone one!

🙂
    I see now what you meant in the other thread. Well here's my list:

Franz Schubert; Die Winterreise, Siegfried Lorenz/Norman Shetler

Giuseppe Verdi: Requiem and Cuatro Pezzi Sacri, Berlin Philharmonic, Claudio Abbado

Joan Manuel Serrat: Miguel Hernandez album

Wagner: Der Ring des Nibelungen, Karl Bohm, Bayreuth Festival edition

Bach : St. Matthew Passion

Beethoven : Complete String Quartets, Alban Berg Quartet

Wagner: Tristan und Isolde

Franz Joseph Haydn: The Creation

Religious text : I will take the Bible.

Luxury : Automatic espresso and cappuccino maker

Book : Will and Ariel Durant's History of Civilization
  8. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Feb '13 14:49
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    I see now what you meant in the other thread. Well here's my list:

Franz Schubert; Die Winterreise, Siegfried Lorenz/Norman Shetler

Giuseppe Verdi: Requiem and Cuatro Pezzi Sacri, Berlin Philharmonic, Claudio Abbado

Joan Manuel Serrat: Miguel Hernandez album

Wagner: Der Ring des Nibelungen, Karl Bohm, Bay ...[text shortened]... omatic espresso and cappuccino maker

Book : Will and Ariel Durant's History of Civilization
    Thank you!

Can you recommend a recording (one easily available) of St Matthew Passion.

New Years resolution was to plug the gaps in my classical collection, and that is a pretty obvious one.
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    10 Feb '13 14:592 edits
    Thank you!

Can you recommend a recording (one easily available) of St Matthew Passion.

New Years resolution was to plug the gaps in my classical collection, and that is a pretty obvious one.
    The EMI Willhelm Furtwangler recording is probably my favorite, but it is remastered and some don't like that, but it is also inexpensive at $15.99 compared to the Von Karajan Deutche Grammophon recording at $38. I don't know if Claudio Abbado has recorded the St. Matthew Passion but I'll look for you. Some find him woody, but I like his choral recordings' precision and excellent readings. His recording of the Verdi Requiem on Deutche Grammophon is excellent and I got it for $15.99! John Elliot Gardiner's ST. Matthew Passion is also very competently recorded, but many don't like original instruments recordings.

BTW, I misspelled Verdi's Quattro Pezzi Sacri by spelling "cuatro", which is Spanish and not Italian, LOL
  10. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Feb '13 16:21
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    The EMI Willhelm Furtwangler recording is probably my favorite, but it is remastered and some don't like that, but it is also inexpensive at $15.99 compared to the Von Karajan Deutche Grammophon recording at $38. I don't know if Claudio Abbado has recorded the St. Matthew Passion but I'll look for you. Some find him woody, but I like his choral recordin ...[text shortened]... Verdi's Quattro Pezzi Sacri by spelling "cuatro", which is Spanish and not Italian, LOL
    Thanks for this.

I prefer period instruments and virtually all my baroque collection is period. I have become so accustomed to them that I find non-period hard to digest at times. This is probably not a good thing.

I have JEG's Mass in B minor, which I enjoy a lot, so will probably check this out. I'm no connoisseur so this may well tick the box.
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    10 Feb '13 17:23
    Thanks for this.

I prefer period instruments and virtually all my baroque collection is period. I have become so accustomed to them that I find non-period hard to digest at times. This is probably not a good thing.

I have JEG's Mass in B minor, which I enjoy a lot, so will probably check this out. I'm no connoisseur so this may well tick the box.
    I have JEG's Mass in B Minor as well and consider it first rate so perhaps you will enjoy the St. Matthew Passion as well. The English Baroque Soloists always seem to have excellent singers and their chorus( I believe they resort to the Monteverdi Chorus) are always excellent.

Here's a recording you might enjoy. Antonio Caldara is a lesser known genius, contemporary of Bach, and excellent indeed. His Stabat Mater is unique for using dissonance before it was fashionable, strange harmonies with instrumental pairings not always used to harmonize with one another. This is parts one and two. His Missa Dolorosa is also superb.

YouTube

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree