1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 20:00
    What the hell does this have to do with culture?
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 20:01
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Nothing, my friend.

Zing!

Hit the lights
    Boreitse
  3. The sky
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 20:07
    Culture is born out of desires and suffering.
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 20:47
    Everything, it's at the heart of the matter. Aesthetic judgements pose a real dilemma because humans think and work in trends and groups and social agreements, we succeed and survive through them. But for the most part aesthetic judgements are transient, relative and subjective; one man's milk is another man's mustard. Desire is at the centre of driving forces upon which culture is built, and those desires, whilst most often common to all of us, may become realised in massively different ways, the aesthetic natures of which are pleasing to some and displeasing to others. Common desires: uncommon realisations.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 20:571 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Everything, it's at the heart of the matter. Aesthetic judgements pose a real dilemma because humans think and work in trends and groups and social agreements, we succeed and survive through them. But for the most part aesthetic judgements are transient, relative and subjective; one man's milk is another man's mustard. Desire is at the centre of driving ...[text shortened]... which are pleasing to some and displeasing to others. Common desires: uncommon realisations.
    I can understand your reasoning, but you might want to look at the forum description: "Discussion forum for the arts."

It seems that the intent was to limit it to the first definition:

cul·ture [ kúlchər ]
    noun (plural cul·tures)

Definition:

1. arts collectively: art, music, literature, and related intellectual activities, considered collectively
    Culture is necessary for a healthy society.
    popular culture

2. knowledge and sophistication: enlightenment and sophistication acquired through education and exposure to the arts
    They are people of culture.

3. shared beliefs and values of group: the beliefs, customs, practices, and social behavior of a particular nation or people
    Southeast Asian culture

4. people with shared beliefs and practices: a group of people whose shared beliefs and practices identify the particular place, class, or time to which they belong

5. shared attitudes: a particular set of attitudes that characterizes a group of people
    The company tries hard to avoid a blame culture.
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 20:59
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    I can understand your reasoning.
    You shouldn't be able to considering he's just trying to obfuscate the argument with his philosophical doublespeak. 😠
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 21:04
    I can understand your reasoning, but you might want to look at the forum description: "Discussion forum for the arts."

[b]cul·ture [ kúlchər ]
    noun (plural cul·tures)

Definition:

1. arts collectively: art, music, literature, and related intellectual activities, con ...[text shortened]... s that characterizes a group of people
    [/b]
    I would have thought that the description is merely a first guide. A discussion of the arts should definitely include a discussion of desires, aesthetics and the philosophical problems which lay at the heart of man's creative urges.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 21:17
    I would have thought that the description is merely a first guide. A discussion of the arts should definitely include a discussion of desires, aesthetics and the philosophical problems which lay at the heart of man's creative urges.
    I'd think you'd have to admit that it's more than a bit of a stretch to "Desire as the Cause of Human Suffering."
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 21:23
    I'd think you'd have to admit that it's more than a bit of a stretch to "Desire as the Cause of Human Suffering."
    No, I honestly don't. Whatever the description of the forum, I think most of the people who will take part here will be looking for a place to discuss aesthetic matters, philosophical matters, artistic matters, matters of tradition and of history; all the things that make up cultural pursuits. The debates forum is useless for this as it's run by militants, fascists and bigots, and given time I think this forum will allow real and interesting exchange of views on a range of subjects exceeding the limited description above.
  10. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 21:29

[b]cul·ture [ kúlchər ]
    noun (plural cul·tures)

Definition:

1. arts collectively: art, music, literature, and related intellectual activities, con ...[text shortened]... s that characterizes a group of people
    [/b]
    Yeah, this clearly belongs in a philosophy forum, or, in the absence of one, in the "spirituality" forum.
  11. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 21:35
    No, I honestly don't. Whatever the description of the forum, I think most of the people who will take part here will be looking for a place to discuss aesthetic matters, philosophical matters, artistic matters, matters of tradition and of history; all the things that make up cultural pursuits. The debates forum is useless for this as it's run by militants ...[text shortened]... interesting exchange of views on a range of subjects exceeding the limited description above.
    Given time I think that the militants, fascists and bigots will take over this forum too. 😞
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 21:35
    No, I honestly don't. Whatever the description of the forum, I think most of the people who will take part here will be looking for a place to discuss aesthetic matters, philosophical matters, artistic matters, matters of tradition and of history; all the things that make up cultural pursuits. The debates forum is useless for this as it's run by militants ...[text shortened]... interesting exchange of views on a range of subjects exceeding the limited description above.
    Sounds like you'd like to have a "Philosophy Forum". I'd think that that'd be a good thing.

Now I can understand how the forum title may have gotten you to where you are, but clearly from the forum description, this is not it. Or to put it another way, the description should be given much more weight, since it's there to serve as a clarifying definition.
  13. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 21:411 edit
    Sounds like you'd like to have a "Philosophy Forum". I'd think that that'd be a good thing.

Now I can understand how the forum title may have gotten you to where you are, but clearly from the forum description, this is not it. Or to put it another way, the description should be given much more weight, since it's there to serve as a clarifying definition.
    Knowing Russ, I very much doubt that the description was put there for any other means than to be a very general signpost.

Lets face it, the forums aren't set up to fulfil needs, they're set up to segregate topics. Debates segregates the hatemongers, Spirituality segregates the magic-men, General segregates the morons and spammers, Clans segregates the rivals, ridiculing and retribution etc. Cultural segregates, for the moment, all those wishing to talk about things without being segregated into the other forums as they stand, topics are meaningless.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 21:431 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Is this true? At least in western culture? I have thought about this quite a bit
    and want to know your thoughts. It seems to me that the more we desire the more we suffer...so I believe this is true...(especially in relationships 🙁 )
    I also believe this to be true. True of eastern as well as western cultures. You should look into Buddhism if you haven't. This is related to its fundamental teachings.

Here are some additional things to think about:

1) Are most of our desires an illusion? For example, a child develops an attachment to a blanket. For this child the blanket represents comfort and security. However the assignment of these attributes are borne of illusion. When the child comes to this realization, the blanket will once again become simply a blanket. Most people carry similar illusions well into adulthood if not the rest of their lives.

2) Are any desires not borne of illusion?
  15. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 21:47
    I also believe this to be true.

Here are some additional things to think about:

1) Are most of our desires an illusion? For example, a child develops an attachment to a blanket. For this child the blanket represents comfort and security. However the assignment of these attributes are borne of illusion. When the child comes to this realization, the b ...[text shortened]... ell into adulthood if not the rest of their lives.

2) Are any desires not borne of illusion?
    1) The desire is not borne from illusion, it is borne from the very real sense of comfort that is paralleled in a mother's arms or the smell of a dad's jumper etc.

2) I could list them all day, but here's just a few: The desire for food, the desire for quiet, the desire for companionship, the desire for understanding, the desire for safety, the desire for sex, the desire for information, the desire for fun, the desire for shelter, for clothing, for love, for recognition. None of these are illusions, I could go on.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree