1. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 12:271 edit
    We have a phrase going round our office 'There's no way that's not a good idea', which I think is from Peepshow.

We use it whenever an idea comes up which is bordering on the insane in terms of its lunacy or inappropriateness.

So, explain this, Mr BBC Commissioning Editor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heil_Honey_I'm_Home!
  2. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 13:06
    Originally posted by FMF
    The U.K. has plenty of overlooked or underestimated gems. A few that come to mind are A Fairly Secret Army, Bob Martin (with Michael Barrymore), Red Dwarf. Did the two Alan Partridge series (when he was in the motel and then in the caravan) make any impact outside the U.K.?

I enjoyed The New Statesman [with Rik Mayall] when it came out in the late 80s but it ...[text shortened]... com of The IT Crowd, the oddness of Peepshow, and the acquired taste of The League Of Gentlemen.
    Yes Prime Minister was extremely funny too - I wish we could see it again here, in Sweden that is - it's been quite a while since last time. 🙂
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Oct '12 11:09
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    So, explain this, Mr BBC Commissioning Editor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heil_Honey_I'm_Home!
    BSkyB not BBC
  4. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    04 Oct '12 11:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    BSkyB not BBC
    Apologies to Auntie, I should have known better.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 06:17
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Apologies to Auntie, I should have known better.
    It raises a good question though: what was the most tasteless thing that BBC TV ever produced?
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 10:18
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    How could you possibly call him the lowest of the low? There have been hundreds of crap tv sitcoms and terrible comedians that offer nothing of value. Despite if you think Gervais is is offensive or not, or how funny you think he is or isnt.

As for the Rowan Atkinson, great comedy actor, but not exactly good when it comes to writing comedy.
    First, I called him almost the lowest of the low. I am aware that there is even worse. Still, Gervais' brand of comedy is to go around insulting other people. Atkinson's is, amongst others, to go around insulting himself. The latter is much more quintessential English - self-mockery and understatement are almost the definition of English humour - and the former, well, isn't. If anything, it's American - although that does not do justice to the likes of M*A*S*H.

Richard
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 10:20
    Originally posted by lolof
    Yes Prime Minister was extremely funny too - I wish we could see it again here, in Sweden that is - it's been quite a while since last time. 🙂
    The problem with Yes (Prime) Minister as a comedy series is that it wasn't. No, bear with me.

It wasn't a comedy series, it was a documentary series. The most hilarious documentary series ever made, but still, documentary, not comedy fiction.

Richard
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 10:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    It raises a good question though: what was the most tasteless thing that BBC TV ever produced?
    Nigella Lawson's recent wannabe-Italian series.

Richard
  9. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 11:59
    Originally posted by FMF
    Not really tasteless (unless you count the theme tune/song) but:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_for_Gold

Let's create a quiz show in which people from different European countries compete....

.....and ask all the questions in English.
  10. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 12:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    Thought of one.

Any program featuring Jim Davidson and his hilarious 'Chalkie' impression.
  11. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 12:101 edit
    And Jim'll Fix It, of course, if it turns out the Beeb knew.....
  12. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    05 Oct '12 16:57
    I'd forgotten Yes Minister (although as someone else pointed out that's documentary, not comedy) and Red Dwarf. But I've managed a couple of Americans too - Hogans Heroes and MASH. Nothing in the last 20 years though.
  13. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 19:571 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Oct '12 05:03
    Ricky Gervais? Anyone seen "Night at the Museum" ?

His first scene was gutbusting. I dont know if he wrote that but I don't really care.
    I rewind/fastforward to that bit everytime.

How can you guys be so hard on Ricky?
  15. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    07 Oct '12 07:09
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    The problem with Yes (Prime) Minister as a comedy series is that it wasn't. No, bear with me.

It wasn't a comedy series, it was a documentary series. The most hilarious documentary series ever made, but still, documentary, not comedy fiction.

Richard
    It seems it's to be continued - look forward to that!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9173686/Yes-Prime-Minister-to-return-to-British-screens.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree