1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    02 May '11 06:39
    Anyone else out there a Doctor Who fan keeping up with the current series?
  2. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    02 May '11 19:13
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Indeed. I've been a fan since I was tiny. The opening episode to this new series was an absolute blinder. Episode 2 seemed a little rushed (the second part of 2-part new Who always seems rushed to me), but still good.

The series villain is brilliant, the hooks for the series equally good, Neil Gaiman is writing the episode after next (!). What's not to like?

(Plus, now we know what was on the missing hours of the Watergate tapes! 🙄)
  3. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    26 May '11 03:19
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Indeed. I've been a fan since I was tiny. The opening episode to this new series was an absolute blinder. Episode 2 seemed a little rushed (the second part of 2-part new Who always seems rushed to me), but still good.

The series villain is brilliant, the hooks for the series equally good, Neil Gaiman is writing the episode after next (!). What's not to like?

(Plus, now we know what was on the missing hours of the Watergate tapes! 🙄)
    Sorry for the delayed follow-up.

Yes, the series has been fantastic thus far. "The Curse of the Black Spot" wasn't my favorite, but "The Doctor's Wife" was fantastic, especially in the characterization of Idris/the TARDIS. "The Rebel Flesh" had a good start, and I'm looking forward to "The Almost People" to follow it up. I think its theme was/will be especially poignant and contemporary (not that most episodes of Dr. Who aren't, but still...).

I'm also thoroughly enjoying all the little details (setting aside the season opener, of course) the series is laying out to intensify the suspense for the rest of the series, like the eye-patch woman and the phrase "the only water in the forest is the river" (or whatever it was). Dr. Who has always done a great job of connecting all the dots at the end of the season.
  4. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    27 May '11 11:19
    Sorry for the delayed follow-up.

Yes, the series has been fantastic thus far. "The Curse of the Black Spot" wasn't my favorite, but "The Doctor's Wife" was fantastic, especially in the characterization of Idris/the TARDIS. "The Rebel Flesh" had a good start, and I'm looking forward to "The Almost People" to follow it up. I think its theme was/will b ...[text shortened]... has always done a great job of connecting all the dots at the end of the season.
    The Doctor's Wife was incredible - easily one of the best since the 'reboot'.

You're right about the story-arc/details. I think it's being much better managed now - previously, it seemed like the 'clues' to the story arc were somewhat throwaway (graffitti here and there, a phrase repeated, etc.), whereas with this series we got a good set-up for the arc and the build-up seems better managed.

Tomorrow's second part should be good.
  5. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    05 Jun '11 03:59
    Well, because BBC-America had the bright idea of postponing the series for a week due to Labor Day weekend, I've only just now watched "The Almost People."

And it's a bit immature of me to say it, but even though the "humans vs. gangers" plot was poignant and reflective of modern day xenophobia, etc. etc. etc., in hindsight I'm really only interested in the plot details revealed for the upcoming episode(s)!

Amy's been a ganger? And the Doctor knew all along?! Amy told the Doctor about his future death? Amy's finally going to have her baby--and at the hands of the Eye-patch woman?! "Don't 'push' until 'she' tells you"!? Good stuff!

PS - I'm assuming you've already seen the mid-season finale, so I'd ask: no spoilers, please! I'm just venting at this point. 🙂
  6. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    05 Jun '11 18:471 edit
    Indeed. Mid-season finale (it's back in September) last night...

By coincidence, I actually saw the finale in the company of a ten year-old boy (a friend's child), which was cool. He seemed to like all the bits I liked, which was strangely reassuring.
  7. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    07 Jun '11 18:50
    http://twitter.com/#!/Sam_Hodges/status/78133661073031168

"DoctorWho is returning. Fourteen new episodes have been commissioned with Matt Smith as The Doctor"
  8. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    07 Jun '11 19:39
    http://twitter.com/#!/Sam_Hodges/status/78133661073031168

"DoctorWho is returning. Fourteen new episodes have been commissioned with Matt Smith as The Doctor"
    Not a huge surprise. It's a ratings and a critical hit, and an enormous, bloated, multi-teated cash-cow for the beeb...
  9. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    08 Jun '11 03:53
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Not a huge surprise. It's a ratings and a critical hit, and an enormous, bloated, multi-teated cash-cow for the beeb...
    Haha. True, but I was a bit surprised they'd renew this early on.

Then again, it's not like I'd be expecting the second half of the season to be a failure...

Plus I thought it was good to see that Matt Smith will reprise his role once again. So now the question is... Season 8, too?
  10. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 04:472 edits
    Well, I'm still processing my own reactions.

Seriously, just when I thought I had some clues put together into a coherent guess about the future of the series... Now I don't have any idea at all.

I know it was naive to think so, but I was sure that the episode would offer a few more answers than it presented questions. I almost would have preferred the season had been split after "The Almost People."

What'd you think?
  11. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    12 Jun '11 23:05
    I stopped watching about 20 years ago.
  12. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    14 Jun '11 17:55
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    I stopped watching about 20 years ago.
    You should look into the new series that began in '05.
  13. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    17 Jun '11 20:29
    You should look into the new series that began in '05.
    As good as Kevin Baker?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jun '11 14:371 edit
    I watched it last night , the new chick is Scottish, well its about time the EBC, err i mean BBC stopped marginalising us!
  15. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    21 Jul '11 01:38
    I'm going back and watching series 2-3, and I just finished The Girl in the Fireplace. I don't think I've ever been so heartbroken after a single episode (as opposed to a story-arch episode)! Such a sad episode.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree