1. Wat?
    Moves
    09 Apr '11 12:17
    I have wanted to play the harp for a long time, and am considering investing in one to see if it is a viable instrument for me to play.

I play classical guitar,as most know, and therefore have the right hand for triplets and long stretches, and my left hand is rhytmical and base. I have heard transposing/transforming to harp isn't too difficult for a classical guitar player, although of course musically it will be a huge challenge with scales (chromatic etc), and, if a levered harp, jumping to F# and Bb at the press of a pedal.

If anybody playes here, can you possibly give some beginner advice in which type of harp to buy, a reasonably costed quality make that won't break the bank, and some possible books to get me started?

Thanks,

-m.
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    09 Apr '11 12:42
    Hohner blues harp. Just 26 euros. It's all you need.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Apr '11 18:23
    Originally posted by mikelom
    I have wanted to play the harp for a long time, and am considering investing in one to see if it is a viable instrument for me to play.

I play classical guitar,as most know, and therefore have the right hand for triplets and long stretches, and my left hand is rhytmical and base. I have heard transposing/transforming to harp isn't too difficult for a clas ...[text shortened]... y make that won't break the bank, and some possible books to get me started?

Thanks,

-m.
    First, do you have any of your guitar music on say, you tube or myspace? I'd love to hear your work. As to harps, the big concert harps are VERY expensive, I play at the harp, a small irish harp. Leboeuf, a long time buddy plays here, his wife has two classical harps, huge puppies! I repaired one of them for her. I would suggest getting a smaller south american harp before you invest 10 thousand or more in a classic harp and getting a good teacher.

Here is a link to a harp site, featuring Peruvian harps and there is one solo and one band with a folk dance.

http://www.celticharper.com/harpblog/?cat=369

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree