Ah, now it all makes sense!
    I knew you would see it my way🙂
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Aug '11 14:391 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Yes regularly but only in specific circumstances: driving, decorating, working outside etc.

Content varies from music (whatever channel has the fewest and least annoying adverts), sports commentary or news.
    It's funny, in this age of mp3 players with multigigabyte memory able to record hundreds of songs, dozens of CD's worth, my problem is I am too lazy to stick all the recordings on one. I also don't like all the songs on the CD's I already have so you have to pick and place each tune you like on the player and I am not inclined to be a DJ.

At least with radio you can do a job like changing spark plugs on your auto or clean the kitchen or whatever boring job is at hand without having to keep glued to a screen for content.
  3. weedhopper
    Moves
    26 Aug '11 19:23
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Is there any particular date in 1979 that the human race stopped making good music? Just letting it default to the 31st December 1979 would seem kind of arbitrary...
    I think it's a cross between that being the time I realized I had to spend money on things other than stereo equipment and albums, and the fact that I'm a curmudgeon who hates rap, hip hop, be bop, hip bop, skip bop and every other bop, along with punk, grunge, speedmetal, death meatl, and everything else that came with and after MTV. And of course disco too--and my generation shall always have a blighyt upon it for creating that abomination.

Also, 'late '79 marked the release of The Wall, the last legitimate Pink Floyd album.
  4. old pueblo
    Moves
    28 Aug '11 08:12
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Not too much. The public radio station plays classic jazz in the evenings so sometimes there. We have a private station that has no announcers or commercials that plays 60s and 70s with a lot of rare cuts so once in a while.
    Bob-FM? I like that one!
  5. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    29 Aug '11 17:20
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I do not. Haven't listened to a song dated later than 1979 except for the brief 1985 Live Aid Concert on TV. I listen to NPR, to audio books, foreign language teaching tapes, and comedy routines. And lots of tapes of the good music (pre 1979)😀
    I can't keep from seeking out new quality music in any form. Drawing a line like 1979 doesn't work for me.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Sep '11 05:13
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I can't keep from seeking out new quality music in any form. Drawing a line like 1979 doesn't work for me.
    For us folkies, there is no 1979, I miss the Limeliters, Peter Paul and Mary, the Weavers, most of them RIP, Lou Gottlieb, Phd, Lee hays, Mary Travers, all gone now.

Pete Seeger is still singing at 90 though!

But the new generation of folk musicians are wonderful players, songwriters, instrumentalists in the grand tradition of folk music but adding virtuosity to their instruments like Martin Simpson, Neal Pointon, here is a link to Neal:

http://www.youtube.com/user/GUKLASMYD#p/u/4/kTWh-SolKlc

I don't think he is over 18 or so but a virtuoso on Irish fiddle.

Eliza Gilkyson is a great singer songwriter and the daughter of another famous folkie, Terry Gilkyson. Famous in our world anyway.

There is no 1979 in folk music. They make great music in 2011, 1911, 1811 and will in 2111 also.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree