1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    07 Apr '08 18:251 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I suppose you have the same opinion about Science Fiction?
    Pretty sure he's referring to the notion that fantasy books are just "descriptive" whereas say good Classical fiction is a "narrative"

The difference being it is easier to describe "what" is going on, than it is to describe "why" something is going on.
  2. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    07 Apr '08 19:441 edit
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Sorry, fantasy fiction is for those who don't want to read difficult books. T
    Al right, that was a bit pompous a more than a little harsh.
    You need to read better fantasy. There's plenty of it.
  3. Joined
    28 Sep '07
    Moves
    08 Apr '08 07:11
    Sorry, fantasy fiction is for those who don't want to read difficult books. They are a shade more illiterate than comic books.

Al right, that was a bit pompous a more than a little harsh. Particularly so to those who love elves and wizards.
    Hmmm badmoon I'm going to try be nice here.

If you don't like fantasy you shouldn't even be a part of this thread.

You obviously have no idea what fantasy is all about and there are plenty of "difficult" fantasy books out there. Some people just don't have the imagination or the IQ to appreciate good quality fantasy.

Now please go away and I won't tell you what I think about Jazz music (which, it would appear, I have a less opinion of than you do for fantasy music but am a little bit too nice to tell you).
  4. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    08 Apr '08 13:12
    Originally posted by uzless
    The Bible
    that's blasphemous, man. LOTR is WAY better.😛
  5. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    08 Apr '08 13:261 edit
    i used to read a lot of fantasy as a teenager, but eventually there just seemed to be a sameness about it, and i acquired a taste for literature that aspired to illuminate the human condition in some way. having said that, there was fantasy that i enjoyed immensely, and would recommend:

Jack Vance's The Dying Earth books: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dying_Earth; and his Lyonnesse books: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyonesse_Trilogy

Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser (Swords) stories: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fafhrd_and_the_Gray_Mouser

and of course Conan the Barbarian.
  6. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    08 Apr '08 15:271 edit
    Sorry, fantasy fiction is for those who don't want to read difficult books. They are a shade more illiterate than comic books.

Al right, that was a bit pompous a more than a little harsh. Particularly so to those who love elves and wizards.
    On your comic book quote. Read some and come back. Have you read Watchmen by Alan Moore? one of time magazines 100 best books of the century? Winner of several literary award?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen

Actually where do you draw the line between fantasy and Sci fi literature? Because some of the best works of the last while are a little of both....

Dune
    The Reality dysfunction
    Northern Lights (Golden Compass, terrible movie)....

I can go on....
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    08 Apr '08 17:27
    Originally posted by Mexico
    On your comic book quote. Read some and come back. Have you read Watchmen by Alan Moore? one of time magazines 100 best books of the century? Winner of several literary award?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen

Actually where do you draw the line between fantasy and Sci fi literature? Because some of the best works of the last while are a little of b ...[text shortened]... The Reality dysfunction
    Northern Lights (Golden Compass, terrible movie)....

I can go on....
    Ever read Jimmy Corrigan by Chris Ware?

If not, I highly recommend it...
  8. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 00:49
    Originally posted by RDM
    Hmmm badmoon I'm going to try be nice here.

If you don't like fantasy you shouldn't even be a part of this thread.

You obviously have no idea what fantasy is all about and there are plenty of "difficult" fantasy books out there. Some people just don't have the imagination or the IQ to appreciate good quality fantasy.

Now please go away and I won't tel ...[text shortened]... less opinion of than you do for fantasy music but am a little bit too nice to tell you).
    This is nice?

"Some people just don't have the imagination or the IQ to appreciate good quality fantasy. "

We all have our passions. I shouldn't step on yours. Bye bye
  9. Joined
    28 Sep '07
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 06:34
    Oops - sorry badmoon - I reread my comment and it did sound a bit harsh. I may have over-reacted a tad.

You are more than entitled to your own opinion of course and I realise that fantasy does not appeal to everyone and it has nothing to do with IQ or imagination - just personal preference.

Its just that I am passionate about Fantasy Fiction and you sort of stomped all over it 🙂
  10. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 06:39
    When i was younger, i got well into the Spellsinger books, by Alan Dean Foster.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree