1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 17:57
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Well, the distinction between aesthetic and utilitarian considerations is very, how shall I say, Victorian; I'd prefer to adopt a robust, Greek viewpoint whereby function and aesthetics combine. Architecture has always been a good example of this. And we may speak of the art of governing, the art of war, and so on. The art of roofing. Why not? (Plato's 'The Statesman' (Politicus) is to blame for my interest in this stuff).
    Horace in Ars Poetica employed the phrase dulce et utile, beautiful and useful. For Matthew Arnold, this became "sweetness and light". Good fiction, it seems to me, conveys both.

I think you've already said this. 🙂
  2. weedhopper
    Moves
    22 Aug '09 04:58
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    Sure, that's true of high school everywhere, but it's not really what I'm driving at. What if you heard about the axe murder from some other "historical" novel instead of from a teacher, and the rest of the question is the same? The statistical possibility isn't important here; I'm asking you to assume these scenarios because I think your answers would help me understand your taste in fiction, which to me is interesting (novel, even 😉).
    Given those circumstances, then yes, I think I would like Crime & Punishment. I guess that means that as long as I perceive something as factual, I generally like reading about it.
  3. weedhopper
    Moves
    22 Aug '09 05:01
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Well, Tommy is set in a post-WWI domestic framework, and The Wall is post-WWII, but the general plot is nearly identical. There should be no question that both are historically grounded fiction set to music, or as Pete Townsend insists on calling the work, "Rock Opera."

Amused to Death is terrific music, but lacks the clear story line ...[text shortened]... f songs, I would humbly submit that you are not as averse to fiction as you have made it seem.
    I didn't like Pros & Cons..., which is unusual for me since I like Pink Floyd, and I like Waters'-written songs better than most others. There were no songs on it I really enjoyed. I can say the same for Radio KAOS, with the exception of the last track. Looks like Mr. Waters' solo work is only 1-for-3 with me.
  4. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    23 Aug '09 08:54
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Given those circumstances, then yes, I think I would like Crime & Punishment. I guess that means that as long as I perceive something as factual, I generally like reading about it.
    Is it the same with 'made up' films?
  5. weedhopper
    Moves
    24 Aug '09 17:35
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Is it the same with 'made up' films?
    I suppose so--though I can't conceive of a movie that would convince me that it was an authentic piece of history, when in reality it was fiction. Or vice versa.
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    24 Aug '09 18:04
    Not all fiction is truth, but all truth is fiction.
  7. weedhopper
    Moves
    24 Aug '09 21:05
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Not all fiction is truth, but all truth is fiction.
    Words of Wisdom, Wule, words of wisdom 🙂
  8. Subscriberbowie7
    Bowie
    Western Australia
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 14:40
    dan simons-ilium+olympos+lovedeath+carrion comfort+hyperion+the fall of hyperion+endymion+the rise of endymion

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree