1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 13:45
    Originally posted by c99ux
    Favourite paintings or artists is a difficult question to answer.
    So true. Because of this, I'll just go with one of my favourites from Bosch (although my choice could change depending on the day)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights

The right side panel of Hell pre-dated Surrealism by 400 years. Pretty impressive.
  2. Joined
    10 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 18:15
    Originally posted by Palynka
    So true. Because of this, I'll just go with one of my favourites from Bosch (although my choice could change depending on the day)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights

The right side panel of Hell pre-dated Surrealism by 400 years. Pretty impressive.
    Impressive indeed. I'd love to see that in person and take a long time to really see all the detail.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 20:04
    Originally posted by Mimor
    Impressive indeed. I'd love to see that in person and take a long time to really see all the detail.
    If you ever need an excuse to visit Madrid...
  4. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 20:58
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    I've never really been into art (I should be, since my sister has an art degree), but I've always really liked 'The Scream'.

http://www.angelo.edu/faculty/rprestia/1301/images/IN495%20munch%20BST%20%20Scream%201893.jpg

Spooky.
    Another disturbing one by Munch...

http://tinyurl.com/265dwt
  5. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 22:23
    Another painting I really love is "Pieta", by Bouguereau.

http://tinyurl.com/29nw8d

The body of Jesus is incredibly done, but what really gets me are Mary's eyes. It's hard to see here, but there's really a profound sadness to them, and the skin around the eyes is almost purple, giving the impression of someone who's been crying for hours...even days. It's really powerful.
  6. Standard memberSunburnt
    🙏🏻
    Some other realm
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 23:26
    Originally posted by rbmorris

The body of Jesus is incredibly done, but what really gets me are Mary's eyes. It's hard to see here, but there's really a profound sadness to them, and the skin around the eyes is almost purple, giving the impression of someone who's been crying for hours...even days. It's really powerful.
    The way he painted skin is absolutely exquisite.
  7. Joined
    22 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 23:45

It is painfully sad. But at the same time the surrounding angels provide a kind of comfort and warm feeling to the scene. Profoundly powerful piece, I agree.
  8. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 01:36
    I'll never forget the my breath-taking trip to the Art Museum in Chicago a few years ago! I've seen so many pictures of famous paintings, but to see them in person ...
  9. Joined
    22 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 01:47
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    I'll never forget the my breath-taking trip to the Art Museum in Chicago a few years ago! I've seen so many pictures of famous paintings, but to see them in person ...
    That's how I felt after visiting Vatican Museum. I'd love to go back there again. A beautiful place. Highly recommended.
  10. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 04:121 edit
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Ah, THAT's why you chose that Seurat painting. I happen to know that's in the Art Institute of Chicago.. Do you know how I know? Nope, I've never been there.

Hint: "I could be The Walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off of Cameron."
  11. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 04:15
    Ah, THAT's why you chose that Seurat painting. I happen to know that's in Chicago. Do you know how I know? Nope, I've never been there.

Hint: "I could be The Walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off of Cameron."
    Dang! Had to google it, even though I've seen it enough times and it was even on again recently! 😞

Yeah -- It was stunning!
  12. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 04:17
    Originally posted by kyue
    It is painfully sad. But at the same time the surrounding angels provide a kind of comfort and warm feeling to the scene. Profoundly powerful piece, I agree.
    Good observation. I hadn't thought about it that way. I also like the way she's holding him (H?) and the expression on her face. Sad, but also very protective.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 04:301 edit
    I like that guy on public television who paints pictures in like in a 20 minute show. I can't recall his name but he has a 70's curly hair dew that reaches the ceiling.

Edit: The sad part is that all of his paintings basically look the same. 🙁
  14. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 04:34
    Originally posted by whodey
    I like that guy on public television who paints pictures in like in a 20 minute show. I can't recall his name but he has a 70's curly hair dew that reaches the ceiling.

Those shows kill me: splat, splat, mix, splat ... and there you have it. A forest.
  15. Joined
    10 Apr '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 04:38
    Originally posted by whodey

Bob Ross. He had that sleepy, quiet voice and said that there were no mistakes, just happy little accidents. I always had the urge to get some supplies and follow along with him sometimes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree