1. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 03:21
    i like directors who can tell a story effectively - a significant story that is at the same time entertaining - and also innovate in the way that it is told. Welles, Murnau, Eisenberg, Hitchcock, Ray, Huston, Hawks, Godard, Truffaut, Fellini, Rosellini, Bertolucci, Visconti, Herzog, Altman, Jarmusch, Tarantino, Tarkovsky, Jodorowsky and many others have been able to do this, but i think my favourite director of all would have to be Kubrick - simply because he does all of the above, and also has such range. No two of his films are very alike - at least, none of the five i've seen: Spartacus, Strangelove, 2001, A Clockwork Orange, and The Shining.

who are your favourites?
  2. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 06:31
    Kubrick would have been my favorite if you asked me 10 years ago; however, I'm going to fault him for Barry Lyndon and Eyes Wide Shut. Both were dull and boring, and I was convinced that style is no longer after enduring Altman's A Prairie Home Companion. Long shots, neverending panning (Altman) or pullback from closeup (Kubrick) style - it worked for them in earlier films but was dreadful to watch in their last ones.

So....these days I have to say that Quentin Tarantino is batting 1.000 for me. He's not directing anything yet that I haven't loved.
  3. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 06:44
    Originally posted by Iron Monkey
    i like directors who can tell a story effectively - a significant story that is at the same time entertaining - and also innovate in the way that it is told. Welles, Murnau, Eisenberg, Hitchcock, Ray, Huston, Hawks, Godard, Truffaut, Fellini, Rosellini, Bertolucci, Visconti, Herzog, Altman, Jarmusch, Tarantino, Tarkovsky, Jodorowsky and many others have ...[text shortened]... Spartacus, Strangelove, 2001, A Clockwork Orange, and The Shining.

who are your favourites?
    I'm going to be shot down here I'm sure, but I think Kubrick is way over-rated. I like some of his stuff - technically it's great - but there's a loss of humanity and emotion and connection in much of his work.
    I would give my top few favourites as:

Tarantino
    Fincher
    Hitchcock
    Paul Thomas Anderson
    The Coens
    Mann

... in no particular order.
    I find the devotion to directors that many have is a little misguided. It misses much of the work that writers, cinematographers, editors and many others do to bring a film to fruition.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 10:45
    Although his films from recent years have been pretty hit-and-miss, my all time favorite director is Woody Allen.
  5. The sky
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 12:53
    Aki Kaurismäki
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 13:18
    The Brothers Coen
  7. Big D
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 16:09
    Ridley Scott is a tremendous director. Go back and watch Alien or Bladerunner and note the attention to detail.

David Cronenberg is another favorite. He has the uncanny knack for placing his charecters in the most uncomfortable situations for the viewers to watch (Crash).

Ang Lee is also very good, especially his work while in China and his first few American films. Eat Drink Man Woman, The Ice Storm, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, more than make up for The Hulk.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 19:00
    Originally posted by Iron Monkey
    who are your favourites?
    Berlusconi.
  9. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    11 Apr '08 03:03
    i think Coppola (FF) definitely deserves a mention for Godfather 1&2, and Apocalypse Now (and others, no doubt, but these are my favourite films of his). Scorsese of course. I've never seen a Kurosawa film that was anything less than excellent. Ingmar Bergman always provides plenty of material for reflection long after the film has ended. Fincher, i think, just about rivals Kubrick in the quality and breadth of his projects. And let's not forget Guillermo del Toro - even when he makes comic-book movies, he's good. It looks like he may be directing the Hobbit movies, btw.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 14:19
    Kubrick
    Pasolini
    Kieslowski
    Leone
    Tarantino
    Bergman
    Tarkovsky
    Aronofsky
    Kurosawa
    Hitchcock
    Jeunet
    Kitano
    Wenders
    Burton
    Van Sant
    Chan-Wook Park
    Coen Brothers
  11. Standard memberClimacus
    Anti-Climacus
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 17:591 edit
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Aki Kaurismäki
    ...and Kieslowski, Almodóvar, Lynch and Iñárritu.
  12. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 22:52
    i have no idea who his name is but that guy who made signs, the sixth sense, etc. is pretty awesome. my mom knew quentin tarantino personally so i have to include him also
  13. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 12:03
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    i have no idea who his name is but that guy who made signs, the sixth sense, etc. is pretty awesome. my mom knew quentin tarantino personally so i have to include him also
    M Night Shyamalan ...
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 09:37
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Berlusconi.
    All the world is a silverscreen...
  15. Illinois
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 10:33
    Terrence Malick and Robert Zemeckis are my two all-time faves.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree