27 May '09 14:32
    Read all about it:
    http://www.nthposition.com/themagicalworldof.php
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    27 May '09 14:57
    "To have touched the feet of Christ is no excuse for mistakes in punctuation."

Nordlys would approve.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 May '09 08:24
    Originally posted by Palynka

Nordlys would approve.
    Seventy-two heteronyms and an orthonym ... The Crowley connection's just the icing on the cake.
  4. The sky
    Moves
    28 May '09 08:53

Nordlys would approve.
    Absolutely.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    28 May '09 12:55
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Seventy-two heteronyms and an orthonym ... The Crowley connection's just the icing on the cake.
    When I think of your potential literary style, I imagine a mixture between Pessoa and Borges. 🙂 You should give it a go, it would make an interesting combination.
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    29 May '09 08:58
    You called...?
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 08:20
    When I think of your potential literary style, I imagine a mixture between Pessoa and Borges. 🙂 You should give it a go, it would make an interesting combination.
    To write like a blind alcoholic ... A writer who stopped reading and a writer who considered himself primarily a reader ...

Pessoa was certainly someone [sic] that Borges might have invented -- on an exceptionally creative day. I wonder if Borges knew of him, though. Pessoa published little in his lifetime. (Does the legend of King Sebastian have any pull on you?)

I'm having an interesting reading experience at the moment -- alternating between chunks of de Chirico (Hebdomeros and other writings) and The Book of Disquiet. Both are short, interminable works.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 09:13
    To write like a blind alcoholic ... A writer who stopped reading and a writer who considered himself primarily a reader ...

Pessoa was certainly someone [sic] that Borges might have invented -- on an exceptionally creative day. I wonder if Borges knew of him, though. Pessoa published little in his lifetime. (Does the legend of King Sebastian have an ...[text shortened]... os[/i] and other writings) and The Book of Disquiet. Both are short, interminable works.
    Interesting, I didn't know de Chirico also wrote. Do you recommend it?

As for the figure of D. Sebastiao, it has no pull in modern times as it's a sort of overused metaphor. I'm not a big fan of Mensagem, although I find his section about the sea excellent.
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 09:47
    Interesting, I didn't know de Chirico also wrote. Do you recommend it?

As for the figure of D. Sebastiao, it has no pull in modern times as it's a sort of overused metaphor. I'm not a big fan of Mensagem, although I find his section about the sea excellent.
    Highly. The Exact Change edition is the best value for money in English. I don't know what's available in French.

I've only read the prose Pessoa, my Portuguese isn't up to the poetry and I haven't managed to find a decent bilingual translation. Recommendations welcome.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 09:56
    Highly. The Exact Change edition is the best value for money in English. I don't know what's available in French.

I've only read the prose Pessoa, my Portuguese isn't up to the poetry and I haven't managed to find a decent bilingual translation. Recommendations welcome.
    Sorry, don't know much about translations...

TBoD is by far my favourite of his writings, but it might be because I'm not a big poetry fan.
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 20:25
    Sorry, don't know much about translations...

TBoD is by far my favourite of his writings, but it might be because I'm not a big poetry fan.
    Have you read the other prose thing he did as Baron Teive?
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 23:16
    Have you read the other prose thing he did as Baron Teive?
    Yes, it's also highly recommended.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree