1. Germany
    Moves
    11 May '09 20:36
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Remove everything except grindcore and you might have a point. For all the rest, several bands preceded the Swans and were much more influential than them. If anything, the influence of the Swans is pretty marginal in those genres.

But the hyperbole in your statement already shows you're a blinkered fan, so I don't expect you to come to terms with reality.
    Sure, they weren't the most influential in those genres bar grindcore, I accept that. Still, they had a lasting impact on those genres. Didn't Godflesh listen to early Swans? Didn't late gothic rock bands listen to Children of God? Didn't neofolk groups of the last 20 years listen to the Burning World or White Light...? Didn't GY!BE listen to Soundtracks for the Blind? And I didn't even mention the Melvins in my earlier post...

But you're probably right, if I wasn't a SWANS-fan I probably wouldn't rate their influence as high.
  2. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    11 May '09 20:43
    Originally posted by StTito
    What year is it? When did rock become so narrowly defined? I am just putting up the idea that rock would not be alive if not for the genres of the past. And a big hellsyeah for rock continuing to go back to it's former roots and not so obvious roots to continue the sound.
    I agree completely. My point is that while Robert Johnson was an amazing musician and quite influential on a number of likewise influential musicians (blues, rock and otherwise), he died in 1938, long before rock 'n roll exploded into existence. Not knocking anyone on your list, just drawing a reasonable line.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 May '09 20:44
    there was art before Dylan, and there was art after Dylan, but i think without a doubt he had an incredible influence on his contemporaries.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    11 May '09 20:491 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Sure, they weren't the most influential in those genres bar grindcore, I accept that. Still, they had a lasting impact on those genres. Didn't Godflesh listen to early Swans? Didn't late gothic rock bands listen to Children of God? Didn't neofolk groups of the last 20 years listen to the Burning World or White Light...? Didn't GY!BE listen to Soundtrack obably right, if I wasn't a SWANS-fan I probably wouldn't rate their influence as high.
    To be fair, I used to like the Swans a lot, just that I gradually fell out of love with them. And don't mind me, I'm just passing through. 😉
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    12 May '09 03:55
    If you wanted to break it down into the main sub-genres of rock (as I see them) I think you could say the following were the most influential for that sub genre..

Punk Rock - The Clash
    Rock N Roll - Chuck Berry
    Classic Rock - Neil Young
    Pop Rock - The Beatles

* If you want to include bandslike Depeche Mode/MGMT/Prodigy etc as a sub genre of Rock, then hands down the oscar goes to Kraftwerk.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 May '09 04:331 edit
    Originally posted by znsho
    Bcause [Neil Young] keeps going and stays true to his ideals.
    I don't think he does/did. That's why I stopped listening to him in the late 80s and only begrudgingly check him out nowadays. He was anti-Nixon but then pro-Reagan. I think he is a celebrity with an eye on his demographic. I haven't detected a lot of 'ideals' in play since the 70s. You're right about him 'keeping going' though. Can't dispute that. 🙂
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 May '09 04:51
    Musicians:
    Bob Dylan
    Jimi Hendrix
    David Bowie
    Frank Zappa
    Buddy Holly

Groups pre-1980:
    Beatles
    Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    Who
    Byrds

Groups post-1980:
    Police
    U2
    REM
    Nirvana
    Queen
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    12 May '09 08:11
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I'd say (in no particular order):

- Chuck Berry
    - John Cale
    - Brian Eno
    - Michael Gira
    - Frank Zappa

Any thoughts?
    I'd really like to agree with you on Gira but I think you might be stretching his influence too far. I mean, Nick Cave is also quite influential, but would you put him on the list? Obviously Gira's a sort of godfather figure and Young God records has managed to attract a stable of good to great artists. Interestingly enough I just read that he hinted recently that there might be a Swans tour in the future, imagine that.
    http://brainwashed.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7536&Itemid=1

Judging by tribute albums alone I'd have to suggest Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits instead of Gira and Eno (rock?).
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    12 May '09 08:12
    Originally posted by Palynka
    To be fair, I used to like the Swans a lot, just that I gradually fell out of love with them. And don't mind me, I'm just passing through. 😉
    Did you listen to Angels of Light too? Gira has never bored me, although I seldom revisit albums like Filth or Body to Body, Job to Job.
  10. Joined
    26 Nov '07
    Moves
    12 May '09 08:352 edits
    I would be tempted to mention 80s metal, such as Iron Maiden and Metallica, and also Bon Jovi. They're the stuff that today's bands listened too (taking "today" to mean "when I was growing up"...) and so although they are not as old (obviously, the nearer to the top of the tree you go the more influential you are) they still carry a lot of influence.

Also, I don't believe Jimi Hendrix or Led Zepplin have been mentioned. Again, influential but not at the beginning and so excluded from the very top.

Perhaps a "most influential rock bands/musicians" list should be sorted into smaller lists be decade?

EDIT: FMF mentioned both Jimi and Led Zep, and he ordered his list! I should read threads more thoroughly...
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 May '09 16:412 edits
    “1001 ALBUMS YOU MUST HEAR BEFORE YOU DIE” is a fairly plausible and entertaining 960 page exercise in ‘collective subjectivity’ by 90 leading international rock critics about the years 1950-2005. (so some of our choices pre-date the scope of this tome)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1001_Albums_You_Must_Hear_Before_You_Die

So I thought I’d have a look to see how many albums each of OUR (collective) choices managed to notch in this ultimate loo book.

Chuck Berry - 0
    John Cale - 1
    Brian Eno - 5
    Michael Gira - 0
    Frank Zappa - 3
    Neil Young - 7
    Beatles - 7
    Rolling Stones - 6
    Great Society - 0
    Doors - 3
    Fairport Convention - 2
    Pink Floyd - 4
    R Johnson - 0
    JL Hooker - 1
    Guthrie - 0
    Ray Charles - 2
    Miles Davis - 4
    Little Richard - 1
    Bill Haley - 0
    Elvis Presley - 3
    Clash - 2
    Bob Dylan - 7
    Jimi Hendrix - 3
    David Bowie - 7
    Buddy Holly - 0
    Led Zeppelin - 4
    Who - 5
    Byrds - 5
    Police - 2
    U2 - 4
    REM - 4
    Nirvana - 3
    Queen - 3
    Iron Maiden - 2
    Metallica - 4
    Bon Jovi - 1

For what it’s worth!
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 May '09 16:57
    Originally posted by FMF
    “1001 ALBUMS YOU MUST HEAR BEFORE YOU DIE”
    Here are a few other artists who notched aplenty in the tome and yet have not had their names name-dropped on this thread yet...

Aerosmith - 3
    Beach Boys - 3
    Beck - 3
    Bjork - 3
    Black Sabbath - 3
    Blur - 3
    Tim Buckley - 3
    Kate Bush - 3
    Johnny Cash - 3
    Nick Cave - 4
    Leonard Cohen - 4
    Elvis Costello - 6
    CCR - 3
    The Cure - 3
    Deep Purple - 3
    Dexy's Midnight Runners - 3
    Nick Drake - 3
    Echo & The Bunnymen - 3
    The Flaming Lips - 3
    Aretha Franklin - 3
    Peter Gabriel - 3
    Genesis - 3
    Emmylou Harris - 3
    P.J. Harvey - 3
    Michael Jackson - 3
    The Kinks - 4
    Kraftwerk - 3
    Madonna - 3
    Bob Marley - 3
    Joni Mitchell - 4
    Van Morrison - 3
    Morrissey - 4
    Pet Shop Boys - 3
    Pixies - 3
    Public Enemy - 3
    Radiohead - 5
    Roxy Music - 3
    Simon & Garfunkle - 3
    Paul Simon - 3
    Frank Sinatra - 3
    The Smiths - 3
    Sonic Youth - 5
    Bruce Springsteen - 5
    Steely Dan - 54
    The Stooges - 3
    Talking Heads - 4
    Velvet Underground - 3
    Tom Waits - 5
    White Stripes - 3
    Wilco - 3
    Stevie Wonder - 5
    Yes - 3

Once again, for what it's worth. Not exactly what the OP asked for, but pertinent anyway.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    12 May '09 17:321 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I'd really like to agree with you on Gira but I think you might be stretching his influence too far. I mean, Nick Cave is also quite influential, but would you put him on the list? Obviously Gira's a sort of godfather figure and Young God records has managed to attract a stable of good to great artists. Interestingly enough I just read that he hinted r ...[text shortened]... albums alone I'd have to suggest Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits instead of Gira and Eno (rock?).
    Yeah, it's probably a bit of an overstatement. Still, I can see his influence growing over the next couple of decades.

And while Eno is primarily noted for ambient music, he did have a significant impact on rock music as well, as a member of Roxy Music, and producer of various landmark albums (by Talking Heads, Slowdive, etc.).
  14. Germany
    Moves
    12 May '09 17:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]“1001 ALBUMS YOU MUST HEAR BEFORE YOU DIE” is a fairly plausible and entertaining 960 page exercise in ‘collective subjectivity’ by 90 leading international rock critics about the years 1950-2005. (so some of our choices pre-date the scope of this tome)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1001_Albums_You_Must_Hear_Before_You_Die

So I thought I’d have a loo ...[text shortened]...
    Nirvana - 3
    Queen - 3
    Iron Maiden - 2
    Metallica - 4
    Bon Jovi - 1

For what it’s worth![/b]
    Whichever critic ever said you should listen to U2 should be fired on the spot.
  15. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 May '09 17:37
    Originally posted by Swlabr
    I would be tempted to mention 80s metal, such as Iron Maiden and Metallica, and also Bon Jovi. They're the stuff that today's bands listened too (taking "today" to mean "when I was growing up"...) and so although they are not as old (obviously, the nearer to the top of the tree you go the more influential you are) they still carry a lot of influence.

Also, ...[text shortened]... i and Led Zep, and he ordered his list! I should read threads more thoroughly...
    Hm! You must be a Cream / Disraeli Gears fan. Am I right?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree