Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. 21 Apr '08 23:46
    I realize that I'm old and no one listens to the garbage I like, but it's been like XMas with these announcements:

    http://judaspriest.com

    http://www.acdc.com/

    It's time to rock again!
  2. 21 Apr '08 23:51
    Who is rock's greatest violinist?
  3. 22 Apr '08 00:14
    Hmm, good question. While rock and violin are not mutually exclusive, they may as well be!
  4. 22 Apr '08 00:45
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Who is rock's greatest violinist?
    Gotta be the one-eyed fellow from Kansas doesn't it?
    I think the Dixie Dregs may have had a violin player, I don't know.
  5. 22 Apr '08 00:52
    Jerry Goodman and Jean Luc Ponty both played fusion with more than a hint of rock in it.

    Ever heard the band of Its a Beautiful Day? King Crimson employed some crazy good violinists. Fairport Convention was a really strong band.
  6. 22 Apr '08 02:56
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Jerry Goodman and Jean Luc Ponty both played fusion with more than a hint of rock in it.

    Ever heard the band of Its a Beautiful Day? King Crimson employed some crazy good violinists. Fairport Convention was a really strong band.
    I was purposfully leaving out jazz violinists as they are much more numerous than any rock "fiddlers", but, no, have never heard of It's a Beautiful Day. Heard King Crimson, but, if I've heard their violinist I probably assumed it was some wacked out guitar effect.
  7. Standard member Iron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    22 Apr '08 04:12 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Who is rock's greatest violinist?
    Warren Ellis from the Dirty Three.

    or Simon House (he played on Bowie's "Heroes" )
  8. 22 Apr '08 13:24
    Owen Pallett?

    Nah, he's a pussy.
  9. 22 Apr '08 14:12
    Forgot a great one - Vasser Clement- played with Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna.

    He is still teaching violin out east.
  10. Standard member Rapidfyre
    OK SORRY
    22 Apr '08 16:06
    Originally posted by Badwater
    I realize that I'm old and no one listens to the garbage I like, but it's been like XMas with these announcements:

    http://judaspriest.com

    http://www.acdc.com/

    It's time to rock again!
    Hello me clone.
  11. 22 Apr '08 17:20
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Who is rock's greatest violinist?
    neither are mainstream rock jockeys, but its a toss up between jean luc ponty, and the long haired gerry goodman seen here with john mc laughlin
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=GXcMk6OG1Xc
  12. 23 Apr '08 00:41
    Originally posted by eamon o
    neither are mainstream rock jockeys, but its a toss up between jean luc ponty, and the long haired gerry goodman seen here with john mc laughlin
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=GXcMk6OG1Xc
    Ponty played with Zappa, so that gives some legit rock cred
  13. 24 Apr '08 07:49
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Ponty played with Zappa, so that gives some legit rock cred
    on the other hand, he is french : )
  14. 24 Apr '08 22:56
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Who is rock's greatest violinist?
    Charlie Daniels
  15. 25 Apr '08 14:07
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Who is rock's greatest violinist?
    remember Darly Way?