four tet

Standard memberDrKF
Culture 25 Jan '10 18:20
  1. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    25 Jan '10 18:20
    New album just released by the brilliant Four Tet. Not his best (that goes to Rounds) and clearly his most overtly dance-orientated release (that residency at Fabric apparently fed in to the making of this new one, There is Love in You). But it's still bloody good.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Jan '10 18:55
    Hat tip!

My favourite is Pause, though. 😠
  3. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    25 Jan '10 23:48
    Originally posted by DrKF
    New album just released by the brilliant Four Tet. Not his best (that goes to Rounds) and clearly his most overtly dance-orientated release (that residency at Fabric apparently fed in to the making of this new one, There is Love in You). But it's still bloody good.
    I heard it was a great album. Looking forward to giving it a listen.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 05:39
    I have been enjoying here too. It strikes me as flowing - with a rather post rock feel in places - as opposed to the more ostentatious jiggery and absorbing pokery of previous releases. Despite its charms, Jaga Jazzist's "One Arm Bandit" beats it to Album Of The Month For This Kind Of Music (January), with Lymbyc Systym's "Shutter Release" [2009] a few lengths behind in 3rd place.
  5. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 08:251 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have been enjoying here too. It strikes me as flowing - with a rather post rock feel in places - as opposed to the more ostentatious jiggery and absorbing pokery of previous releases. Despite its charms, Jaga Jazzist's "One Arm Bandit" beats it to Album Of The Month For This Kind Of Music (January), with Lymbyc Systym's "Shutter Release" [2009] a few lengths behind in 3rd place.
    I didn't even know there was a new Lymbyc Systym album out...

To Demonoid, post haste!
  6. Germany
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 11:44
    Will have to check that one out.
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 11:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    Somehow I miss the ostentations jiggery and absorbing pokery... 😳
  8. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 18:321 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Somehow I miss the ostentations jiggery and absorbing pokery... 😳
    I hear what you're saying, but I am still enjoying the album (certainly more, say, than Everything Ecstatic) and the best bits are really good. As I said, the residency at a club has obviously fed in to the making of this new one - even I, with my epileptic octopus impression on the dancefloor would have found much of his previous output somewhat tricky to bust a move to...

Also worth a look are his collaboration with Burial and with Steve Reid. I'm not a huge dubstep fan - for me the one big trick, though impressive, grows thin after a while - but the Burial album was great, as is this 12". Reid's a great jazz drummer - thety released three EPs/mini-albums a while back.

Hat tip to FMF for the Jaga Jazzist rec. They'd been on my radar, but had never actually listened to them before. They sometimes maybe try a little too hard, but at their best they remind me of Tortoise at their jazziest, which is No Bad Thing.
  9. Germany
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 21:45
    Decent effort.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree