Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    04 Jul '14 02:23 / 2 edits
    Nazzareno Zacconi: Inside my far memories, a tune in an interesting tuning, I asked him and he answered, the tuning is in the comments:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n-t7stl42E&google_comment_id=z122gdnglxf2hblvu234s1xh2my2ezmom04

    And a real entertainer as well as acoustic virtuoso:

    Tommy Emmanual:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTGdOqp1jLI
  2. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    04 Jul '14 03:39 / 4 edits
    OMG, theirs TWO of them! Tommy and PHIL Emmanual!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy4BqYy6VEg

    Now some Hawaiian guitar:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5d5vSwl5J8

    Ledard Kaapana, great guitarist.

    Here he is with a friend Fran Guidry, playing Black Sand:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WD1y679R4c
  3. 05 Jul '14 14:22
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    OMG, theirs TWO of them! Tommy and PHIL Emmanual!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy4BqYy6VEg

    Now some Hawaiian guitar:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5d5vSwl5J8

    Ledard Kaapana, great guitarist.

    Here he is with a friend Fran Guidry, playing Black Sand:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WD1y679R4c
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdh9MgE7vac

    like this guy
  4. Standard member redbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    05 Jul '14 17:19
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdh9MgE7vac

    like this guy
    ok he is from oz and a guitar wizard but all he can do is covers
  5. 06 Jul '14 08:26
    Originally posted by redbadger
    ok he is from oz and a guitar wizard but all he can do is covers
    yeah, but still, he rocks dude.
  6. Standard member redbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    06 Jul '14 12:47
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yeah, but still, he rocks dude.
    rather listen to Derek Trucks
  7. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    06 Jul '14 14:43
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdh9MgE7vac

    like this guy
    I subscribe to Daddystovepipes. Been listening to him for a while. I was disappointed in his version of Joseph Spence's Great dreams from heaven.
    He did not understand the subtle rhythms of Spence. I guess not many people do. Just like Reverend Gary Davis.

    Ry Cooder did a great job on that tune. He studied Joseph Spence quite a bit when he was young back in LA.
  8. Standard member redbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    06 Jul '14 17:01
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I subscribe to Daddystovepipes. Been listening to him for a while. I was disappointed in his version of Joseph Spence's Great dreams from heaven.
    He did not understand the subtle rhythms of Spence. I guess not many people do. Just like Reverend Gary Davis.

    Ry Cooder did a great job on that tune. He studied Joseph Spence quite a bit when he was young back in LA.
    ry cooder did the music on the film crossroads the music is epic some parts he plays blues in a classical way.
  9. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    06 Jul '14 17:32 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by redbadger
    ry cooder did the music on the film crossroads the music is epic some parts he plays blues in a classical way.
    He also did Paris Texas and the Long Riders, both great movies.
    He has had an outstanding career in music.

    One of my favorite albums is Ry Cooder and Ali Farka Toure, 'Talking Timbuktu', a really great work.
  10. Standard member redbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    06 Jul '14 18:01
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    He also did Paris Texas and the Long Riders, both great movies.
    He has had an outstanding career in music.

    One of my favorite albums is Ry Cooder and Ali Farka Toure, 'Talking Timbuktu', a really great work.
    so what do you make of seasick steve?
  11. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    07 Jul '14 15:23 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by redbadger
    so what do you make of seasick steve?
    He has some great friends:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5yvwLzusdA

    JPJ from Led Zep.

    Here he is with Tom Jones:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqESbLku2bA

    Steve is playing a guitar with only 3 strings!

    just for comparison, here is a blues singer, Corey Harris

    Playing and singing the same, You Got to Move.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHKnSim_wC0


    I heard Reverend Gary Davis do this song in 1960.