Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    11 Feb '12 20:03
    Arizona was annexed 100 years ago. Not sure on what date it happened though.
  2. 13 Feb '12 12:25
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Arizona was annexed 100 years ago. Not sure on what date it happened though.
    Is that culture? Seems like history to me, even if it is recent history.

    Man, it keeps surprising me. I know your country is young, but I'm always surprised when I realise how young. 1912... and it wasn't quite finished. Over here, that's yesterday.

    Richard
  3. 17 Feb '12 00:43
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Arizona was annexed 100 years ago. Not sure on what date it happened though.
    Feb 14. I live in Az and work for the State DES.
  4. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    17 Feb '12 19:03
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Feb 14. I live in Az and work for the State DES.
    Department of Emotional Security?
  5. Standard member Soothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    19 Feb '12 04:27
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Arizona was annexed 100 years ago. Not sure on what date it happened though.
    Small wonder the state is suffering from dementia now.
  6. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    26 Feb '12 02:29
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Small wonder the state is suffering from dementia now.
    Well they love cattle there, ever hear of Pinnacle Peak Patio? They worship cattle there. Yes, they are waiting for the
















    Bisontennial....
  7. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    26 Feb '12 15:28
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Feb 14. I live in Az and work for the State DES.
    Valentine's Day? Hah.
  8. 27 Feb '12 21:57
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Department of Emotional Security?
    Yes. Been there for 20 years.
  9. 27 Feb '12 21:57
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Department of Emotional Security?
    Yes. Been there for 20 years.
  10. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    28 Feb '12 15:56 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Yes. Been there for 20 years.
    It's so good there you had to say it twice!

    Where is Arizona do you live? Phoenix? We lived in Scottsdale for 3 years, worked for awhile for DOT, fixing traffic lights and solar powered street signs on a huge area from Tuscon to the Mexican border. We also played old timey music, had a band called The Sugarloaf Mountain String Band.
  11. 01 Mar '12 16:09
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It's so good there you had to say it twice!

    Where is Arizona do you live? Phoenix? We lived in Scottsdale for 3 years, worked for awhile for DOT, fixing traffic lights and solar powered street signs on a huge area from Tuscon to the Mexican border. We also played old timey music, had a band called The Sugarloaf Mountain String Band.
    I live in "old Town Scottsdale." A couple of blocks from where the SF Giants play spring ball.

    The music scene is so so around here, although we do get a few retired jazz musicians that play around town.
  12. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    01 Mar '12 17:07
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I live in "old Town Scottsdale." A couple of blocks from where the SF Giants play spring ball.

    The music scene is so so around here, although we do get a few retired jazz musicians that play around town.
    We lived near 'hole in the rock', in the housing development on the east side of the rock, there used to be a shopping mall there, Los Arcos Mall, I think it might be gone by now, we lived right next to a middle school, our kids would walk one block to school. You know "Hole in the Rock'? You can climb up to it and look through to Phoenix? McArthur road goes right by it.

    http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/FvnH5hw4halHa_8dKylMeA?select=rcefOQVd9opJ0qwmC8tAJQ
  13. 02 Mar '12 00:41
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    We lived near 'hole in the rock', in the housing development on the east side of the rock, there used to be a shopping mall there, Los Arcos Mall, I think it might be gone by now, we lived right next to a middle school, our kids would walk one block to school. You know "Hole in the Rock'? You can climb up to it and look through to Phoenix? McArthur road ...[text shortened]... y it.

    http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/FvnH5hw4halHa_8dKylMeA?select=rcefOQVd9opJ0qwmC8tAJQ
    Absolutely. I take my grandchildren there on occasion. No twisted ankles so far. Los Arcos has been replaced by an ASU venture.
  14. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    02 Mar '12 03:09 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Absolutely. I take my grandchildren there on occasion. No twisted ankles so far. Los Arcos has been replaced by an ASU venture.
    Once I got about halfway up with my motorcycle

    Is the Kerr cultural center still there? My wife and I played a few concerts there.

    Also, do you ever go to eat at Pinnacle Peak Patio? I guess it's still there.
  15. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    04 Mar '12 17:36
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I live in "old Town Scottsdale." A couple of blocks from where the SF Giants play spring ball.

    The music scene is so so around here, although we do get a few retired jazz musicians that play around town.
    Wow, I live a mile or so north of Phoenix Muni, where the A's play, on the other side of Papago Park. Small world.