1. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    17 Nov '09 18:36
    Just started watching this show (surprising, considering the amount of TV I watch...), and I have to say it's pretty entertaining, if a bit frustrating at times. Hugh Laurie is eminently watchable. Of course, it goes without saying that the medical diagnoses are dubious at best - but what's the fun in letting it go without saying?!? Here's an interesting blog about House's medical mistakes, written by a real doctor:

http://www.politedissent.com/house_pd.html
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    17 Nov '09 23:44
    wait, they created another 'house' or is that the name of the original?

anyway, i've watched it a few times but it does get repetitive pretty quickly so don't watch it anymore.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Nov '09 15:59
    Originally posted by PBE6
    Just started watching this show (surprising, considering the amount of TV I watch...), and I have to say it's pretty entertaining, if a bit frustrating at times. Hugh Laurie is eminently watchable. Of course, it goes without saying that the medical diagnoses are dubious at best - but what's the fun in letting it go without saying?!? Here's an interesting blo ...[text shortened]... 's medical mistakes, written by a real doctor:

http://www.politedissent.com/house_pd.html
    It's one of the few shows I watch. You know we're making progress when they start creating TV characters who are atheists. Bones and House. The atheist dynamic duo. Plus Real Time With Bill Maher. And he's even a real person.

The medical diagnoses are irrelevant. Nobody watches the show for medical tips. It's just a framework for Laurie to inhabit.
  4. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 04:40
    You do know that House is really a Holmes derivative, right? Check all the parallels.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 11:20
    Originally posted by coquette
    You do know that House is really a Holmes derivative, right? Check all the parallels.
    Yeah, I've heard that before. House is Holmes, Wilson is Watson, etc. They're diagnosing illnesses instead of solving crimes. That's why I say the whole medical thing is irrelevant, because the show would work just as well with House as a homicide detective (a la Colombo) as it would with him as a doctor.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 12:341 edit
    Is it just me or is Hugh Laurie's American accent rather unimpressive. It always sounds to me like he's a Brit putting on an accent, which he is, but it seems obtrusive to me, when it shouldn't be.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 13:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    Is it just me or is Hugh Laurie's American accent rather unimpressive. It always sounds to me like he's a Brit putting on an accent, which he is, but it seems obtrusive to me, when it shouldn't be.
    It's definitely just you.
  8. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 16:13
    Originally posted by trev33
    wait, they created another 'house' or is that the name of the original?

anyway, i've watched it a few times but it does get repetitive pretty quickly so don't watch it anymore.
    yep, after the third episode i realized all it was was:

Doctors can't figure out what's wrong with someone.
    They argue with each other.
    People get insulted.

Hey, hit show!
  9. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 16:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    you should hear pb6's scottish accent!
  10. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 16:26
    Originally posted by uzless

People get insulted.

Hey, hit show!
    If that were all it is, it wouldn't be a hit show.
  11. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 16:26
    you should hear pb6's scottish accent!
    So should I! 😀
  12. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 16:29
    If that were all it is, it wouldn't be a hit show.
    that's all it is to me. It just seems like they have a list of rare ailments and each episode they just pick a different one. It's basically the same episode each week just with different faces and names of the patient.
  13. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 16:44
    that's all it is to me. It just seems like they have a list of rare ailments and each episode they just pick a different one. It's basically the same episode each week just with different faces and names of the patient.
    The ailment is a MacGuffin. The real joy in watching House is in the acting (especially Hugh Laurie) and the writing. The characters grow from season to season, behaving differently based on moral choices they've had to make in the past (Foreman is probably the best example), a nice switch from most other mystery/procedural shows. I also like the fact that House insults people. Besides being funny, the beauty of having an intelligent character who isn't afraid to insult people is that touchier subjects can be broached in a less threatening way.
  14. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    20 Nov '09 21:08
    The ailment is a MacGuffin. The real joy in watching House is in the acting (especially Hugh Laurie) and the writing. The characters grow from season to season, behaving differently based on moral choices they've had to make in the past (Foreman is probably the best example), a nice switch from most other mystery/procedural shows. I also like the fact that H ...[text shortened]... t afraid to insult people is that touchier subjects can be broached in a less threatening way.
    guess I'm old school.. Don't find insulting people (who aren't your friends) funny

Maybe just old.
  15. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    21 Nov '09 07:08

People get insulted.

Hey, hit show!
    It's a lot more diabolically repetitive than that!

Before opening credits:
    - Some normal person falls down (and usually limbs flop about a bit).

Before solving a case:
    - Something relevant to the "relationship" side of the tale reveals the solution to House.

However, as someone pointed out: He's an atheist... and that is good.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree