1. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    22 Nov '09 11:19
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Yeah, I've heard that before. House is Holmes, Wilson is Watson, etc. They're diagnosing illnesses instead of solving crimes. That's why I say the whole medical thing is irrelevant, because the show would work just as well with House as a homicide detective (a la Colombo) as it would with him as a doctor.
    There's a section on the wikipedia article for the show which explains a lot about the House/Holmes homogeneity, David Shore (co-creator) is a big fan of the detective. They went quite far, even giving House's apartment the same number as Holmes' house.

But beyond that, there are things about the character of House that I find intriguing, the chronic pain being one of them. If you had to take that away I don't think the show would work, well not for me anyway. He is also a savant at deciphering people's characters instantaneously as though he was reading their minds, and while it can appear to be unbelievable at first he usually explains his genius later. He also does some really bad things to people on a mental and emotional level, where you're not sure if you should pity him or loathe him, some of the things that happen on the show not only raise moral questions in the characters, but in the viewer too.

It's like a modernised, more emotionally and ethically complex Sherlock Holmes television show that just happens to be set in a hospital.
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 17:21
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    There's a section on the wikipedia article for the show which explains a lot about the House/Holmes homogeneity, David Shore (co-creator) is a big fan of the detective. They went quite far, even giving House's apartment the same number as Holmes' house.

But beyond that, there are things about the character of House that I find intriguing, the chronic pa ...[text shortened]... ically complex Sherlock Holmes television show that just happens to be set in a hospital.
    Sounds more like a show for people who haven't figured out these "moral" questions on their own yet.

I find the "moral" questions have already been answered before they are even asked.

But, that's just me.
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 08:21
    Originally posted by uzless
    Sounds more like a show for people who haven't figured out these "moral" questions on their own yet.

I find the "moral" questions have already been answered before they are even asked.

But, that's just me.
    I didn't even know there were moral questions on the show!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree