1. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    20 Dec '09 20:061 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    What do you do for a living?
    Right now, I play bass in a good rock band. I played jazz guitar starting in high school and into my mid-20's, and taught guitar for a few years, but I find I don't play it much anymore because I'm so busy. Such is life. 🙁

EDIT: I also work with darvlay during the day. And yes, he's like that in real life.
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Dec '09 22:46
    Originally posted by PBE6
    Right now, I play bass in a good rock band. I played jazz guitar starting in high school and into my mid-20's, and taught guitar for a few years, but I find I don't play it much anymore because I'm so busy. Such is life. 🙁

EDIT: I also work with darvlay during the day. And yes, he's like that in real life.
    Darvlay and I used to get crossways, but patched it up! He seems t be a decent enough fellow! I can't wait for my son to open his guitar pack. Quite exciting! I appreciate your music feedback as well as your fellow Canadian, Attila the Horn. His is one of the most clever handles indeed. What does your handle mean?
  3. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    21 Dec '09 14:12
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Darvlay and I used to get crossways, but patched it up! He seems t be a decent enough fellow! I can't wait for my son to open his guitar pack. Quite exciting! I appreciate your music feedback as well as your fellow Canadian, Attila the Horn. His is one of the most clever handles indeed. What does your handle mean?
    It's not particularly clever, unfortunately, it was my job code when I started playing RHP. I couldn't think of anything else at the time...little did I know the name could never be changed! 😕
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '09 21:52
    Originally posted by PBE6
    It's not particularly clever, unfortunately, it was my job code when I started playing RHP. I couldn't think of anything else at the time...little did I know the name could never be changed! 😕
    That's so sad! I know someone who picked a really stupid handle and decided to quit RHP entirely when finding out he could never change the silly name! Mine means chess nut in Italian. Not terribly clever, but I like it!
  5. Wat?
    Moves
    24 Dec '09 03:37
    Originally posted by reinfeld
    the point of my question in brief is about the method of re-memory once something is memorized. does the musician actually "think" about the next sound or finger movement, etc. or does the memory just flow in a sort of subconscious way without having to actually "remember" the next thing to do ? is it like tossing a basketball without having to think abou ...[text shortened]... think in nano-seconds about what you are doing and what you will do next in a rational way ?
    IMHO of classcal guitar, it isn't a re-memory once a piece is mastered. It becomes 'pure' instinct. That is to say, the movements of fingers, the whole piece layout, and what has to be done 'physically.'

I will not play a piece publicly, unless I know it inside out, upside down and backwards. What this 'DOES' allow, during a performance, is to go into oneself and go into depths of 'emotion' and 'expression' - i.e. I can take on my owns freedoms of moving my hands up and down the neck to create different depths of string sound - from mellow, near 12th fret, to high clicks near the bridge. I have the freedom to change finger plucking and 'therefore improvise', thus creating a unique piece. I create new sounds that are what I envisage at that moment.

There has to be instinctive memory somewhere, in order to be able to achieve this. That is when I would term a piece is 'mastered'. We often see technically mastered musicians, from the likes of China and Japan. BUT - they are technically accomplished only. There is no emotion or creativity - because, as I see it, they are concentrating on purely getting the piece out without a technical hitch. They have MASTERED nothing!! Maturity in age plays another MASSIVE distinctive part too! Experiences of pain and achievements in life come very much into the picture of personal musical expression! That is also memory, that can change a single note and make a piece or break it!!
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    24 Dec '09 15:11
    Originally posted by mikelom
    IMHO of classcal guitar, it isn't a re-memory once a piece is mastered. It becomes 'pure' instinct. That is to say, the movements of fingers, the whole piece layout, and what has to be done 'physically.'

I will not play a piece publicly, unless I know it inside out, upside down and backwards. What this 'DOES' allow, during a performance, is to go into one ...[text shortened]... That is also memory, that can change a single note and make a piece or break it!!
    Hey mikelom! Post a clip of yourself playing. I love classical guitar! Who's your favorite classical guitar composer? I don't have a favorite, but love almost anything by the great Spanish composers.
  7. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    27 Dec '09 00:15
    True story:

I was leading this club band that had arrangements for the horn section, as long as I got good players that could read the book,we was able to sound great. So we're playing at this club, and after the 2nd night , the manager calls me over and asks why are those guys reading music?

And I answered, "because they can."
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    28 Dec '09 12:41
    Originally posted by gregsflat
    True story:

I was leading this club band that had arrangements for the horn section, as long as I got good players that could read the book,we was able to sound great. So we're playing at this club, and after the 2nd night , the manager calls me over and asks why are those guys reading music?

And I answered, "because they can."
    What kind of idiot would object to sheet music during a performance? Sounding great is all that matters! I'm glad you put the dunce in his place!
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    28 Dec '09 16:44
    how do musicians remember all that stuff ?

Hours and hours of practise!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree