1. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    14 May '12 20:12
    I was recommended to read a novel written by Mark Haddon - the book has won prestigious prizes a. o. The Whitbread Book of the Year Award.
    The title is "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" and the presentation reads: "It is a murder mystery novel like no other". The narrator is Christopher Boone - a 15 year old boy who has Asperger's Syndrome. I love the book, I love the boy and I think you will too. It was published in 2003.
    "Outstanding... A stunningly good read" - Independant
    "Exceptional by any standards" - Sunday Telegraph
  2. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    16 May '12 00:111 edit
    Originally posted by lolof
    I was recommended to read a novel written by Mark Haddon - the book has won prestigious prizes a. o. The Whitbread Book of the Year Award.
    The title is "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" and the presentation reads: "It is a murder mystery novel like no other". The narrator is Christopher Boone - a 15 year old boy who has Asperger's Syndrome. stunningly good read" - Independant
    "Exceptional by any standards" - Sunday Telegraph
    That's a damn good read.
    I remember being handed that book one evening and the next thing I know it was two o'clock in the morning and I'd read the whole thing in one sitting.

His next novel A Spot of Bother was also very good.

He's got a keen eye for getting inside the head of "dysfunctional" people. We're all dysfunctional in one way or another so it's easy to empathise with the characters but his writing does not alienate "functional" people either.
  3. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    16 May '12 06:36
    Originally posted by orangutan
    That's a damn good read.
    I remember being handed that book one evening and the next thing I know it was two o'clock in the morning and I'd read the whole thing in one sitting.

He's got a keen eye for getting inside the head of "dysfunctional" people. We're all dysfunctional in one way or another so ...[text shortened]... hise with the characters but his writing does not alienate "functional" people either.
    I agree, he has made these personalities totally believable and without being too emotional about it - you just love the boy and his parents who really do their utmost to make things work. I will read the other book too - A Spot of Bother - thanks a lot.
  4. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    14 Jun '12 20:02
    Originally posted by orangutan
    That's a damn good read.

He's got a keen eye for getting inside the head of "dysfunctional" people. We're all dysfunctional in one way or another so ...[text shortened]... hise with the characters but his writing does not alienate "functional" people either.
    Thanks for mentioning A Spot of Bother - it was a good book too, although not quite the same reading sensation as Christopher Boone. As you say, we are all a bit dysfunctional in different ways and it's good to read about situations and circumstances ordinary people sometimes end up in. I liked it.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '12 02:00
    Originally posted by lolof
    I recommend this book
    What A Carve Up by Jonathan Coe.
  6. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    06 Jul '12 06:54
    If you like Frederick Forsyth, I think you will enjoy "Avenger" published 2003 - a political thriller and a very entertaining book.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree