1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 10:10
    What music album(s) [encountered in adulthood, not childhood] do you like to this day... but, either [i] it kind of embarrasses you to admit to liking it [or sticks out like a sore thumb amongst your regular tastes & passions], or [ii] it may be a hit with you, but it was panned by the critics and/or was a commercial failure?
  2. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 10:273 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    What music album(s) [encountered in adulthood, not childhood] do you like to this day... but, either it kind of embarrasses you to admit to liking it [or sticks out like a sore thumb amongst your regular tastes & passions], or it may be a hit with you, but it was panned by the critics and/or was a commercial failure?
    M C Hammer - Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em

There, I said it. Can I go now, please?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 11:36
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Can I go now, please?
    Just take it one post at a time. You'll know when you're fully cleansed.

I have been reuniting 4,000 CDs [purchased 1988-2011] with their booklets and back trays. So "It Pains Me To Admit Its" have been cropping up left right and middle of the road.

I have two to offer...

Jefferson Airplane recorded a reunion CD in 1990. I thought it was great. Critics panned it unanimously. Seemed to go straight from the factory to the bargain bins.

"No Parlez" Paul Young circa 1986. Surely not my cup of tea at all, and yet it just seems so good - still!
  4. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 11:47
    Funny, I just listened to Purple Rain this morning on my commute. I found myself hiding the jpg of the album cover displayed on my phone for fear of being found out by other commuters.
  5. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 12:421 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Just take it one post at a time. You'll know when you're fully cleansed.

I have been reuniting 4,000 CDs [purchased 1988-2011] with their booklets and back trays. So "It Pains Me To Admit Its" have been cropping up left right and middle of the road.

I have two to offer...

Jefferson Airplane recorded a reunion CD in 1990. I thought it was great. Critics Young circa 1986. Surely not my cup of tea at all, and yet it just seems so good - still!
    Do you still like the Jefferson Airplane album?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 12:46
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Do you still like the Jefferson Airplane album?
    I do. It is GOOD. The critics were wrong. ALL the critics were wrong.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 15:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    I do. It is GOOD. The critics were wrong. ALL the critics were wrong.
    Weren't they called Jefferson Starship by 1990? Maybe people would cringe when I would play stuff like Yesterday or Good Day Sunshine, I liked early Beatles and people like Seals and Croft (whom I lived with briefly). I suppose people would start to puke if I played Summer breeze Makes you feel fine, blowing like the jasmine in your mind....
  8. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 16:011 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Weren't they called Jefferson Starship by 1990? Maybe people would cringe when I would play stuff like Yesterday or Good Day Sunshine, I liked early Beatles and people like Seals and Croft (whom I lived with briefly). I suppose people would start to puke if I played Summer breeze Makes you feel fine, blowing like the jasmine in your mind....
    Ah, but are you embarassed by any of this? The OP was not about what other people think about the music (other than critics).
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 21:48
    I cannot possibly fully answer for I rarely read or listen to critics. However, I think few critics would like anything by Seals and Croft and I've always loved them. Sonhouse, you lived with them? In a menage musicaux? LOL
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 23:11
    Weren't they called Jefferson Starship by 1990?
    "Jefferson Airplane recorded a reunion CD in 1990."
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 23:22
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    I cannot possibly fully answer for I rarely read or listen to critics. However, I think few critics would like anything by Seals and Croft and I've always loved them. Sonhouse, you lived with them? In a menage musicaux? LOL
    Yep, there was, still is I think, this house in Denver, 1900 Emerson st. had a bit of local fame, met my first wife there, I showed up one day right after I got out of the Air Force and drove from Lincoln Nebraska to Denver and I already knew about Harry Tuft's Denver Folklore Center (I did a year tech training at Lowry AFB in Denver and the Folklore center was my rock, kept me sane) So I shows up, says hi to Harry and looks on the bulletin board for flats to rent, found this address on Emerson st. Showed up, asked how much for a room, 10 bucks a month! and moved in. Seals and Crofts lived there and a bunch of other aspiring musicians. It was a blast. There was a guy named Lind who had a hit, Elusive Butterfly of love, who showed up a lot, I think he was a one hit wonder, but what a swinging joint that place was. I looked it up a couple decades later and it was run down and obviously not lived in for a long time so I was there in its heyday. Sigh. Back in the good old days, eh.
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '13 23:49
    Yep, there was, still is I think, this house in Denver, 1900 Emerson st. had a bit of local fame, met my first wife there, I showed up one day right after I got out of the Air Force and drove from Lincoln Nebraska to Denver and I already knew about Harry Tuft's Denver Folklore Center (I did a year tech training at Lowry AFB in Denver and the Folklore center ...[text shortened]... not lived in for a long time so I was there in its heyday. Sigh. Back in the good old days, eh.
    Wow! The closest I come to such an experience is being good friends with a dude who was in Stevie Ray Vaughn's garage band. According to my friend, Vaughn so quickly outpaced the others he moved on to bigger and better things. Yours is a more awesome story! Did you jam with them?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '13 02:12
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    I cannot possibly fully answer for I rarely read or listen to critics.
    Sure you can. the critics thing was only one aspect. Anything that embarrasses you to admit to liking? Something incongruous or inexplicable in your collection? Something that you like that was a commercial failure?
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Apr '13 02:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    Sure you can. the critics thing was only one aspect. Anything that embarrasses you to admit to liking? Something incongruous or inexplicable in your collection? Something that you like that was a commercial failure?
    OK then. Josh Groban's album containing sappy folk songs(I can't remember the name). Miranda Lambert's first album. Allison Krause and Union Station almost anything. Tight band, but her tinny voice is mostly unpleasant, yet I love her.
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Apr '13 15:021 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    What music album(s) [encountered in adulthood, not childhood] do you like to this day... but, either it kind of embarrasses you to admit to liking it [or sticks out like a sore thumb amongst your regular tastes & passions], or it may be a hit with you, but it was panned by the critics and/or was a commercial failure?
    im slightly embarrassed that i own more than one oasis album.
    im very embarrassed that i own a single of '74-75' by the connells (and like it)

i have a question back for you -

would or do you keep your partners music collection mixed with your own?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree