1. Rohan
    Moves
    05 Jul '15 15:05
    Anyone here listen to Lage Lund or Jonathan Kreisberg or Kurt Rosenwinkel.
  2. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    05 Jul '15 15:46
    Got a trial of Apple Music so I will give them a listen. Thanks 🙂
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Jul '15 18:09
    Originally posted by nimzophysh
    I listened to Charlie Christian, short life, George Benson, Django, Elek Bacsik,( Django's cousin) I have his 'Jazz guitarist' on Phillips records, got it in 1963 when i was in the USAF.
    I listened to Stanley Jordan but not so fond of the touch technique as innovative as it is.

I just read up on Rosenwinkel, my daughter also went to Berklee but did the full time, got her BA there, But Kurt! Left after a couple years to go off an play with Gary Burton, then DEAN of Berklee, gads! I have some Burton albums. Will have to check Rosenwinkel out!
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 07:55
    Not the first of those three, but the other two yes. I quite like Rosenwinkel's stuff - as a sideman too. I like an element of ragged-but-right in my jazz guitar which draws me to the likes of John Scofield and John Abercrombie. I also have a soft spot for Bill Frisell.
  5. Rohan
    Moves
    29 Aug '15 17:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    Not the first of those three, but the other two yes. I quite like Rosenwinkel's stuff - as a sideman too. I like an element of ragged-but-right in my jazz guitar which draws me to the likes of John Scofield and John Abercrombie. I also have a soft spot for Bill Frisell.
    The textures and tone colors Frisell can get out of a telecaster are interesting.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 09:00
    The textures and tone colors Frisell can get out of a telecaster are interesting.
    The need for ragged-but-rightness or exquisite inaccuracy not only draws me to Scofield and Abercrombie, but beyond jazz it draws me to Zappa, Garcia and Anastasio who all fit the bill too.
  7. Rohan
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 10:29
    Originally posted by FMF
    The need for ragged-but-rightness or exquisite inaccuracy not only draws me to Scofield and Abercrombie, but beyond jazz it draws me to Zappa, Garcia and Anastasio who all fit the bill too.
    What is "ragged-but-rightness" or "exquisite imprecision"? While these phrases might apply to Jerry Garcia, they wouldn't apply to Scofield, who is always in control of his instrument and improvisational playing.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 10:51
    What is "ragged-but-rightness" or "exquisite imprecision"? While these phrases might apply to Jerry Garcia, they wouldn't apply to Scofield, who is always in control of his instrument and improvisational playing.
    On the contrary, I think a lot of Scofield's playing is delightfully messy ~ yes, he'll play the head of his tune cleanly most often ~ but he's got a lot of gnarly verve too ~ something that allows him to wander into jamband settings and come across as gritty and ducking and diving rather than polished or jazz flash. Actually I 'feel' him as an instinctive ballsy blues player who has hacked out an authentic living in jazz. But I certainly take your point about him being in control (more than the likes of Garcia) but he's not as in control, I don't think, as the likes of John McLaughlin.
  9. Rohan
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 15:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    On the contrary, I think a lot of Scofield's playing is delightfully messy ~ yes, he'll play the head of his tune cleanly most often ~ but he's got a lot of gnarly verve too ~ something that allows him to wander into jamband settings and come across as gritty and ducking and diving rather than polished or jazz flash. Actually I 'feel' him as an instinctive balls ...[text shortened]... the likes of Garcia) but he's not as in control, I don't think, as the likes of John McLaughlin.
    Do you play guitar?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '15 22:29
    Do you play guitar?
    Just enough to be able to write songs.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 Aug '15 11:12
    Originally posted by FMF
    Just enough to be able to write songs.
    Anything posted on myspace or some other site?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '15 12:53
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Anything posted on myspace or some other site?
    No I've never used myspace.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree