1. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Mar '08 21:51
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Not to slight him, because I like his playing, but that's pretty esteemed company for Ed Bickert. Breau is a completely new name to me, so I looked him up. Then I saw that Breau is Canadian, so I looked you up. You're Canadian too, so Bickert, another Canadian, made more sense.

Gotta love Dolphy. I really didn't expect to see any Dolphy fans here. Wit ...[text shortened]... d multiple times. They are sufficiently different. I'd even say mind-blowingly so.
    Also, in the classical section I saw you mentioned you like the Goldberg Variations. Good on you! I mention it here because to me it's practically jazz. The way Glenn Gould plays it anyway...There's a disc out called "State of Wonder" it's a double disc featuring the 1955 version of the variations that made Gould famous overnight paired with the 1981 version he played just a week before his death! The contrast is amazing, and the second one I think is far greater.

Bach was the first jazz composer. Listen to that (or Gould playing the Well Tempered Clavier) and try and disagree! Whether it's jazz or not it's unbelievable.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 00:48
    Originally posted by The Dude 84
    Bickert is very new to me too actually, and I didn't know he's canadian! MAN Lenny Breau is technically a wizard, equal to Joe Pass, but plays with a lot more flavour and taste than Pass. Don't get me wrong I love Joe Pass, but Breau makes his solo playing sound robotic.

For any guitar fans out there I HIGHLY recommend Lenny Breau, and Joe Pass's albu ...[text shortened]... buy because it's impossible to judge the disc by the tune selections alone!
    The complete Plugged Nickel is eight discs covering seven sets over two days. As I remember, it was a bit pricey but I managed to get it on sale. Hopefully you'll be able to do the same.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 00:50
    Also, in the classical section I saw you mentioned you like the Goldberg Variations. Good on you! I mention it here because to me it's practically jazz. The way Glenn Gould plays it anyway...There's a disc out called "State of Wonder" it's a double disc featuring the 1955 version of the variations that made Gould famous overnight paired with the 1981 ver ...[text shortened]... Well Tempered Clavier) and try and disagree! Whether it's jazz or not it's unbelievable.
    Actually "State of Wonder" is what I have. I never thought of it as "practically jazz". I'll have to give it another listen.

Isn't Gould also Canadian? 🙂
  4. Joined
    01 Dec '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 08:47
    Actually "State of Wonder" is what I have. I never thought of it as "practically jazz". I'll have to give it another listen.

yeah, he was canadian, it's funny you mention the Goldberg because last night I saw Matthew Halls play the entire work on my School's new harpsichord
  5. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 16:07

Yup, and his former apartment is about 3.5 blocks from my house!

Also, it's the first one that sounds like jazz... it SWINGS, but I like the second much better actually.

It's purely coincidence that the musicians I have named so far have Canadian connections. After I talk about Oscar Peterson I think the well will have run dry!
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 16:54
    Yup, and his former apartment is about 3.5 blocks from my house!

Also, it's the first one that sounds like jazz... it SWINGS, but I like the second much better actually.

It's purely coincidence that the musicians I have named so far have Canadian connections. After I talk about Oscar Peterson I think the well will have run dry!
    Well, there's always Kenny Wheeler, Lisle Ellis and Paul Plimley, lest the well run dry.

By the way, Ellis has a new CD out called "Sucker Punch Requiem". It's an homage to the painter Jean Michel Basquiat.

He has an extremely diverse group of musicians:

Holly Hoffman - flute
    Mike Wofford -piano
    Mainly active in mainstream jazz. Wofford was a pianist and musical director for Sarah Vaughn and Ella Fitzgerald.

George Lewis - trombone
    Oliver Lake - reeds
    Susie Ibarra - drums and percussion
    Mainly active in avant-garde jazz.

Pamela Z - voice
    Mainly active in Sound Art

You can listen here:
    http://www.myspace.com/lisleellis
  7. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 03:08
    Originally posted by rbmorris
    Excellent! Let me know how you like them. Always interested in more Oscar.
    I've been listening to them each day all week long. Interesting in how they contrast. Clark Terry is such a swinging uplifting player - Reminds me that I have an oldie with The Jolly Giants. Whereas Ben Webster was the classic note bending balladeer who of course could swing as well.

The accompaniment of Ray Brown and Ed Thigpin is peerless.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree