Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. 04 Aug '08 01:28
    As a dedicated jazz pianist, I thought I'd post this in the club forum for my club (the Jazz club) and in this public forum. Any suggestions welcome.

    I am about to audition for a position as a jazz pianist in a local combo. The position is very privileged, and the combo player is essentially the best jazz pianist in the community. Problem is, there's another guy running against me who is very formidable. I am taking extra jazz lessons, but the guy has much more experience under his belt than I, and the combo organizers feel they owe him for a favor that he did for them in the past. Other problem is, everyone's saying I'm really the better pianist, a statement to which I (obviously) agree. Any tips for getting a better chance to beat the guy in the auditions (this October)?
  2. Standard member DoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    04 Aug '08 02:40
    Get a hat like Thelonious Monk.
  3. 04 Aug '08 15:15
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Get a hat like Thelonious Monk.
    As an Arab-American, even though a Monk hat would look pretty cool, I would look ridiculous in it. Thanks for the advice though. 🙂
  4. 05 Aug '08 21:12 / 1 edit
    Then wear a fez and dark sunglasses. Smoke with a big long cigarette holder. Dress in a cheap ill-fitting suit with a bow tie. Develop an evil, sadistic Peter Lorre giggle and laugh insanely when you play. I bet it would look perfect on you.
  5. Donation buckky
    Filthy sinner
    05 Aug '08 22:05
    Originally posted by scherzo
    As a dedicated jazz pianist, I thought I'd post this in the club forum for my club (the Jazz club) and in this public forum. Any suggestions welcome.

    I am about to audition for a position as a jazz pianist in a local combo. The position is very privileged, and the combo player is essentially the best jazz pianist in the community. Problem is, there's anot ...[text shortened]... agree. Any tips for getting a better chance to beat the guy in the auditions (this October)?
    You need to seperate from the pack by being obviously better. If you just think your better than most, but in reality you are just the common delusional musician then anything could happen. Roll the dice and hope for the best.
  6. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    06 Aug '08 13:04
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Then wear a fez and dark sunglasses. Smoke with a big long cigarette holder. Dress in a cheap ill-fitting suit with a bow tie. Develop an evil, sadistic Peter Lorre giggle and laugh insanely when you play. I bet it would look perfect on you.
    You've missed your calling.

    Or do you have a show?
  7. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    06 Aug '08 13:05
    Originally posted by buckky
    You need to seperate from the pack by being obviously better. If you just think your better than most, but in reality you are just the common delusional musician then anything could happen. Roll the dice and hope for the best.
    Say more about the Common Delusional Musician.
  8. Standard member PBE6
    Bananarama
    06 Aug '08 20:00
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Get a hat like Thelonious Monk.
    This is a better suggestion than most people realize. If you DRESS like a great jazz musician, people are going to think you ARE a great jazz musician. Would you show up to the audition wearing a bathing suit? I hope the answer is no. But most people don't think twice about showing up in tennis shoes, khaki's and a shirt 2 sizes too big.

    Wear black pants, a black collared shirt and black dress shoes/boots. Look like a professional ready for a gig when you show up to the audition, and then let your talents speak for themselves.

    Good luck!
  9. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    06 Aug '08 20:10
    Originally posted by PBE6
    This is a better suggestion than most people realize. If you DRESS like a great jazz musician, people are going to think you ARE a great jazz musician. Would you show up to the audition wearing a bathing suit? I hope the answer is no. But most people don't think twice about showing up in tennis shoes, khaki's and a shirt 2 sizes too big.

    Wear black pants ...[text shortened]... hen you show up to the audition, and then let your talents speak for themselves.

    Good luck!
    this ain't the 50's man.

    Let your talent speak for itself. Costumes are for chumps.
  10. 06 Aug '08 20:16
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Then wear a fez and dark sunglasses. Smoke with a big long cigarette holder. Dress in a cheap ill-fitting suit with a bow tie. Develop an evil, sadistic Peter Lorre giggle and laugh insanely when you play. I bet it would look perfect on you.
    How dumb do you think I am?
  11. 06 Aug '08 20:17
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Say more about the Common Delusional Musician.
    Yeah, Bosse wants to hear more about himself.
  12. Standard member PBE6
    Bananarama
    06 Aug '08 20:33
    Originally posted by uzless
    this ain't the 50's man.

    Let your talent speak for itself. Costumes are for chumps.
    I'm getting you a paddle for Christmas, so you can stir the pot without getting your hands dirty.

    Kids, don't listen to him - he's the devil. 🙄
  13. Standard member PBE6
    Bananarama
    06 Aug '08 20:34
    Originally posted by scherzo
    How dumb do you think I am?
    Did you get the gig or what?
  14. Donation buckky
    Filthy sinner
    06 Aug '08 20:42
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Say more about the Common Delusional Musician.
    I have been envolved with the music scene most of my adult life, as a musician, and as a booking agent. To many times I see individuals with average talent thinking they are the next big thing. A little talent is a dangerous thing. Ego can drag the best man down. Just knowing that there are tons of people out there that can play you under the rug can be somewhat depressing after years of trying to be just good.
  15. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    07 Aug '08 07:28
    Originally posted by uzless
    this ain't the 50's man.

    Let your talent speak for itself. Costumes are for chumps.
    Dressing the part isn't such a bad idea, you know. Think of Nick Cave, The Cramps, Iggy Pop, Sun Ra ... What would you wear -- pyjamas? Only Will Oldham could pull that off.