1. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    01 Mar '08 04:372 edits
    Originally posted by Hindstein
    Terminology is a funny thing. The dominant 7th and the mixolydian scale are the same thing. Providing the person involved (in this case ivan2908) understands what is meant, what difference does it make which of the 2 terms is used?

and real book guy, half the changes are wrong in that book.

However, as both a teacher and a jazz musician, I decide ...[text shortened]... t c he original poster's needs before making a quick judgement based on your own point of view.
    Dominant has had the b7 since figured bass. Anything that Modulates (Changes Key) from C to G, you can't consider the G as dominant anymore. Once it's resolved its the new I chord or tonic. Dominant is a very important concept in jazz, no matter what the key of the song, you have to be able to flow with the "changes", no matter where the V7 exists. The point that mixolydian and dominant are the same is exactly what I'm talking about, why use the ancient term?
    The student used the roman numerals incorrectly. It's not I II III IV, it's I ii iii IV
    So how can you expect them to get I biii7 bIV7 ii7 V7
  2. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Mar '08 18:12
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    Ok, I made this post once in general forum and I will do it again. How do I learn jazz harmony and patterns ? Is there any book or software.. I do not know all subvariations of jazz I want to learn its harmony well so I can make my own variations of popular songs or even to be able to put some fancy jazz passage in the middle of Bach preludium or Nirvana so ...[text shortened]... me theory and then put it in practice.

HELP

Sorry for the smilies, way too much of them 😛
    try to buy "band in a box" for your pc.... that 's a great package...

as for the blues scale, it's the same in any style, there are just variations of it, at it's core in c it's C Eb F Gb G Bb C...

many players will include a D and Ab and A in that as well...

it's very important to play what sounds good, not what the books says it right
  3. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Mar '08 21:19
    improvisation is very difficult to learn and took me years, but i found the most difficult of all was reharmonisation... this requires a very good knowledge of harmony....

for example, cole porter's night and day was originally, cmin, g7, c... most jazz players play it as cmin7, dmin7, g7, cmaj7... whereas i found abmaj7, g7sus, g7, cmaj7 works nice... this is knowledge of harmony plus luck and a lot of practice to see what works...

for example, the tritone always works well instead of the tonic... i.e. anytime a tune starts on c... play f#min7(b5) instead

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree