1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Dec '08 23:361 edit
    Originally posted by Mexico
    I hate comments like this, Its patently untrue. Now don't get me wrong I'm in general agreement about Zep and reforming and all. But comments along the lines that no music has made in the last 20 years that comes close to Zeppelin are ridiculous. And generally come from the fact that the person has stopped trying to find good music and stuck with what they k set. Particularly if not constrained to a similar musical style and/or genre as Zeppelin....
    Yeah, decent point.

Nevertheless many do feel that 1979 was "the year the music died". Obviously there's been loads of good stuff since e.g U2, GnRs, Nirvana, Oasis etc etc, I guess if you like guitar based rock played by decent musicians, it gets rarer after '79...?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Dec '08 23:371 edit
    Has anybody else noticed how many people seemed to have joined RHP on the 16th of Feb in different years.... 3 different posters, one thread, in a row....
    If you read all the posts backwards whilst playing Sgt Pepper it all starts to makes sense...man...🙄
  3. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 09:32
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Sorry to hear you "hate" what I say. And this "person has NOT stopped trying to find good music." I tried. It just ain't there. Not that everything put out there these days is rubbish--but NOTHING is put out there these days is worth MY $$$.

Also, there's nothing wrong with "being constrained" to a musical style/genre when that style/genre happens to be The Masters.
    that was not meant as an in any way aggressive personal assault, more a comment on fans of good music in general. Everybody is the same, to be honest I'm starting to look at what kids are listening to today and developing a similar attitude. My Grandparents made the same comments when they heard what my dad listened to....

You name a specific genre of music that you'd listen to and ill give you 5 band s that appeared in the last 20 years that are easily as good as anything that happened before that.

Here's a few anyway,
    Pure technical brilliance - Battles, particularly Ep/C and B/ep
    Great songs in general - Tom waits has done all his best work in the last 20 years, Elliot Smith, and on and on....
    Scope and elegance - Godspeed! (although it takes some patients) or Sigur Ros
    Heavier rock that's not tripe - Mogwai at times, the Eels, Baroness(too heavy at times)
  4. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 09:35
    Originally posted by divegeester
    If you read all the posts backwards whilst playing Sgt Pepper it all starts to makes sense...man...🙄
    Maybe we're all one being experiencing itself subjectively....... There is no such thing as death Life is just a dream, we're the imagination of ourselves.

Here's tom with the Weather.....
  5. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 09:39
    I will admit there's been plenty of crap in the last 20 years, and furthermore that its gotten shockingly popular to boot....

The killers for one. (I've got soul but I'm not a solider Come on! how is that even vaguely clever)

MC Hammer, Vanillia Ice

The 80's in general (With a few exceptions)

However I'm certain that there was plenty of popular crap during the classic rock era as well....
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 23:44
    I will admit there's been plenty of crap in the last 20 years, and furthermore that its gotten shockingly popular to boot....

The killers for one. (I've got soul but I'm not a solider Come on! how is that even vaguely clever)

MC Hammer, Vanillia Ice

The 80's in general (With a few exceptions)

However I'm certain that there was plenty of popular crap during the classic rock era as well....
    Killers -yep I don't get it ither - just noise - yep I sound like a grandad but it's just that...noise!

I'm no big expert to be fair most of the good stuff I wouldn'tknow anyway. I seem to remember Sound Garden and Ocean Colour Scene being ok though.

Naff from the '70s? - Van der Graf Generator?
  7. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 21:57
    I hear that the other two Zepps are going to tour without Plant. I feel this has to be the worst idea ever in the history of worst ideas in music, other than Zep reforming in first place!

Any other Zep fans agree/disagree?
    Relax...these music wonks are always having there little spats. Generally they get over it and start recording/touring again. We've seen this with The Who, The Moody Blues, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, and many others.😏
  8. Joined
    26 Nov '07
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 23:41
    that was not meant as an in any way aggressive personal assault, more a comment on fans of good music in general. Everybody is the same, to be honest I'm starting to look at what kids are listening to today and developing a similar attitude. My Grandparents made the same comments when they heard what my dad listened to....
    A few years ago I decided I should probably start listening to a music that was made by a band that were still playing (and mostly alive, too), and so I bought a "My Chemical Romance" CD. Worst £10 I've probably ever spent. However, I have subsequently found many bands that I do like - although I have altered my tastes to fit (if I spent the rest of my life looking for another Led Zep of Cream, well.........).

That said, I still listen to my old stuff more. 🙂
  9. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    12 Dec '08 13:43
    Originally posted by Swlabr
    A few years ago I decided I should probably start listening to a music that was made by a band that were still playing (and mostly alive, too), and so I bought a "My Chemical Romance" CD. Worst £10 I've probably ever spent. However, I have subsequently found many bands that I do like - although I have altered my tastes to fit (if I spent the rest of my life l ...[text shortened]... other Led Zep of Cream, well.........).

That said, I still listen to my old stuff more. 🙂
    Well in fairness Me chemical romance have the musical talent of particularly talentless bricks all things considered.
    Check out Mogwai, best thing Glasgow has probably ever produced 😛........ Actually Scotland has produced a disproportionate volume of very good music in the last while......

Arab Strap, Mogwai, Boards of Canada, Aereogramme..... depends on your taste really I guess....
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '08 15:20
    Well in fairness Me chemical romance have the musical talent of particularly talentless bricks all things considered.
    Check out Mogwai, best thing Glasgow has probably ever produced 😛........ Actually Scotland has produced a disproportionate volume of very good music in the last while......

Arab Strap, Mogwai, Boards of Canada, Aereogramme..... depends on your taste really I guess....
    scotland - peace be upon it!
  11. Joined
    26 Nov '07
    Moves
    12 Dec '08 15:561 edit

Yes, unfortunately I discovered this after I had paid my money, and I don't really hold with the whole "take it back if you don't like it" way of thinking.

My favourite Glaswegian band of "the moment" has got to be Biffy Clyro, although I really don't like their latest album...

I've never heard of any of the bands you've mentioned (as I said, I'm entirely out of touch!) however, I shall see what I can find of theirs. Thanks for the tip(s)!
  12. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    12 Dec '08 16:30
    Def check out Mogwai, they've been around for ages and have heaps of stuff but the album "Mr Beast" is great, and "Happy songs, for happy people" too.

Aerogramme are inconsistent, and sometimes too aggressive for my liking but he has a great voice.

Arab strap is nice guitar based rock with a good singer and good lyrics, definitely a better live experience, but Last Romance is a good album none the less.

Boards of Canada are well........ Weird electro made with analogue instruments, takes some patients and effort to be honest..... And often not worth it....
  13. Joined
    24 Nov '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '09 19:19
    I hear that the other two Zepps are going to tour without Plant. I feel this has to be the worst idea ever in the history of worst ideas in music, other than Zep reforming in first place!

Any other Zep fans agree/disagree?
    I agree with you,Jason Bonham behind his fathers kit was a logical solution,but the band shouldn't play without it's original members.
    It wouldn't fit.
    Who would be the singer???????????????????
  14. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 00:36
    Originally posted by quorthon
    I agree with you,Jason Bonham behind his fathers kit was a logical solution,but the band shouldn't play without it's original members.
    It wouldn't fit.
    Who would be the singer???????????????????
    Paul Rogers..if he can pull off Freddy Mercury then he can do Robert Plant
  15. Germany
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 09:53
    I hate comments like this, Its patently untrue. Now don't get me wrong I'm in general agreement about Zep and reforming and all. But comments along the lines that no music has made in the last 20 years that comes close to Zeppelin are ridiculous. And generally come from the fact that the person has stopped trying to find good music and stuck with what they k ...[text shortened]... set. Particularly if not constrained to a similar musical style and/or genre as Zeppelin....
    Led Zeppelin didn't even get close to matching their peers in their day - it's very easy to discover recent music which is better than LZ.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree