1. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 14:231 edit
    An interesting study would be to see if listening to classical music frequently over a relatively LONG time period would have a more noticeable or more permanent effect on intelligence.

If a runner does one workout, his/her best time isn't likely to improve very much. But if workouts are done more frequently, times will improve a lot. And the higher fitness level will provide increased stamina in a wide variety of other athletic pursuits.

Does listening to classical music have the effect of "training the brain" so that it will do better at other things not related to classical music?

You'd probably have to ensure that listeners were actively focusing on the music and not just treating it as background filigree.

Of course, we'd have to define "classical music" -- is it only something written between 1750-1825, or does it cover pretty much anything written for a traditional orchestra and choirs etc?
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 22:40
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    An interesting study would be to see if listening to classical music frequently over a relatively LONG time period would have a more noticeable or more permanent effect on intelligence.

If a runner does one workout, his/her best time isn't likely to improve very much. But if workouts are done more frequently, times will improve a lot. And the higher fi ...[text shortened]... or does it cover pretty much anything written for a traditional orchestra and choirs etc?
    In its strictest definition it is only from 1750-1825. Don't forget the studies worked better IQ-wise with Bach keyboard music. I am not sure they adhered to definitions. The noticeable rise in IQ was from what is known as absolute music, i.e., sans orchestra. It remains to be seen if someone takes up a study like that.
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '09 12:30
    Bach died in 1750 - so I guess he wouldn't "count" as a classical composer?

Bach might actually be the best composer to study - he incorporated a lot of mathematical ideas into his music (canons, fugues etc). And the Baroque Era as a whole might be the best time period.

does "absolute music" mean only one instrument? - or can it include multiple instruments such as a wind or string ensemble? Hard to imagine a canon made up of only one instrument.
  4. The sky
    Moves
    22 Sep '09 18:42
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    The noticeable rise in IQ was from what is known as absolute music, i.e., sans orchestra.
    "Absolute music" normally means music that doesn't represent, describe or try to evoke something else, e.g. a story, an image or a scene from nature; i.e. music that stands for itself. It doesn't have anything to do with how many or what kind of instruments are used.
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '09 20:491 edit
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    "Absolute music" normally means music that doesn't represent, describe or try to evoke something else, e.g. a story, an image or a scene from nature; i.e. music that stands for itself. It doesn't have anything to do with how many or what kind of instruments are used.
    so I guess Vivaldi's Four Seasons doesn't count - (bummer - it's one of my favorite "classical music" works)

But when the composer doesn't give any clues, how do we tell whether or not the music is supposed to represent something?
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    22 Sep '09 21:05
    "Absolute music" normally means music that doesn't represent, describe or try to evoke something else, e.g. a story, an image or a scene from nature; i.e. music that stands for itself.
    Surely such music is bound to evoke the idea of 'music that stands for itself', an idea that may interfere with absolute listening.
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '09 22:12
    Absolutely correct! However, in its strictest form less instruments are less likely to detract from music's absoluteness. For music to stand for itself reducing the number of voices helps eliminate programmatic writing.
  8. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 13:01
    but why must we be looking for the holy grail of music that doesn't represent anything -- I don't think it's possible to ever find it -- if nothing else, a given piece will represent the instrument or synthesizer that's playing it.

and besides that - if "classical music" does have an affect on intelligence, why should it matter that the music evokes flowers in spring, or the French Revolution, or the background music at a museum?
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 23:47
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    but why must we be looking for the holy grail of music that doesn't represent anything -- I don't think it's possible to ever find it -- if nothing else, a given piece will represent the instrument or synthesizer that's playing it.

and besides that - if "classical music" does have an affect on intelligence, why should it matter that the music evokes flowers in spring, or the French Revolution, or the background music at a museum?
    That's what makes music so great! It could evoke a host of things then some. Association is like that. I cannot help but think of Monument Valley in Utah in the late August sun and partial overcast skies every time I hear Das Lied von der Erde by Mahler. I bought the CD then went camping and brought it for the long drive from Texas. I listened to Wagner on the way and once in Utah I cracked the new CD open and listened. I had never heard this work before and got it only because I read it was Mahler's masterpiece, different and written while in the absolute whitest heat of musical creativity. It met every expectation, yet it is simply not the same without the magical setting. Neither are Navajo tacos any good without Mahler!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree