Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    21 Nov '13 23:42 / 2 edits
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/100243153/pianist-maria-joao-pires-panics-as-she-realises-the-orchestra-has-started-the-wrong-concerto/

You can see the beginning as it plays out. Priceless! Look at the video clip.
  2. 22 Nov '13 14:23
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/100243153/pianist-maria-joao-pires-panics-as-she-realises-the-orchestra-has-started-the-wrong-concerto/

You can see the beginning as it plays out. Priceless! Look at the video clip.
    That is a truly awesome video! Very, very funny!
  3. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    22 Nov '13 15:50 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    That is a truly awesome video! Very, very funny!
    I'ts like, 'my life flashes before my eyes, my reputation is shot, I'm ruined', then memory takes over and she plays it flawlessly

Clearly a rehearsal, fortunately for her

And the conductor! Nonplussed, You'll be fine

I wonder if anyone in the audience sussed out what was going on?
  4. 28 Nov '13 13:31 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I'ts like, 'my life flashes before my eyes, my reputation is shot, I'm ruined', then memory takes over and she plays it flawlessly

Clearly a rehearsal, fortunately for her

And the conductor! Nonplussed, You'll be fine

I wonder if anyone in the audience sussed out what was going on?
    According to some comments on the site, not a rehearsal, but just a very relaxed and informal sort of concert.

Which might explain why she was prepared to do it without a rehearsal. But that still seems a bit odd to me.

But if it was a rehearsal, you would just stop and regroup. No need to keep ploughing on.

This brings to mind my worst ever orchestral moment.

My school had agreed to provide the orchestra for a concert including an Act from Dido and Aeneas (don't know why, ghastly piece). Very public, big audience. So we had rehearsed it a lot. I was about 14 at the time.

On the day, we turned up in Guildford only to be told that the conductor had rehearsed the wrong act. We only had the normal rehearsal time available, so were having to sight read.

Had we been at our school, everything would have been OK, as we would just have shipped in all the teachers to take the lead parts. But they hadn't come. It is also the kind of piece where the orchestra has to be very responsive to what the singers are doing.

We were only saved from a complete humiliation by the fact that, purely by coincidence, we had three violinists who went on to professional careers.

However, it still makes me shudder.

(Edit: just searched forums for Dido and Aeneas, and I think I will be in trouble with scacc for my comments on the piece)
  5. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    28 Nov '13 14:31
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    According to some comments on the site, not a rehearsal, but just a very relaxed and informal sort of concert.

Which might explain why she was prepared to do it without a rehearsal. But that still seems a bit odd to me.

But if it was a rehearsal, you would just stop and regroup. No need to keep ploughing on.

This brings to mind my worst ever ...[text shortened]... s for Dido and Aeneas, and I think I will be in trouble with scacc for my comments on the piece)
    It would seem that for a high school orchestra they could have just said, we are changing the act #, that looked like the reasonable thing to have done. If I had been in charge of the kids I would have tried that tactic just to keep the kids from being totally embarrassed. I would think any conductor worth his salt would have been able to wing it better than HS kids.

I have gone to concerts where the notes are printed at the very last minute saying such and such has been changed to Sibelius and nobody got their feathers ruffled.
  6. 28 Nov '13 16:22
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    (Edit: just searched forums for Dido and Aeneas, and I think I will be in trouble with scacc for my comments on the piece)
    With me too. Still among the greatest masterpieces of English opera (Peter Grimes its only conceivable rival); and When I Am Laid in Earth is one of the most moving arias ever written.
  7. 28 Nov '13 21:19 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    With me too. Still among the greatest masterpieces of English opera (Peter Grimes its only conceivable rival); and When I Am Laid in Earth is one of the most moving arias ever written.
    I have often wondered if it is the libretto that puts me off more than the music.

The Aeneid, Book IV, was my A level Latin text, and I also did the Aeneid for one of my degree papers.

I just can't reconcile one with the other.

First Wagner, and now this.