Men in black - racist?

Standard memberRemoved
Culture 04 Nov '17 02:14
  1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Nov '17 02:14
    There are a couple of scenes in men in black and MIB II that I can't help but feel have racist connotations.

There's the post-office scene where Smith goes on a rant about how packaging up fancy goods is somehow not important. Could this be construed as being beneath black people to do? If so, isn't this the equivalent of modern day, white slavery.

Then there's the bit where he's got an inflatable white guy on his lap and says 'What's the matter, your momma never get you a gay-ma-boy' (paraphrasing). Is there a racial undertone going on here?
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    04 Nov '17 12:05
    Originally posted by @christopher-albon
    There are a couple of scenes in men in black and MIB II that I can't help but feel have racist connotations.

There's the post-office scene where Smith goes on a rant about how packaging up fancy goods is somehow not important. Could this be construed as being beneath black people to do? If so, isn't this the equivalent of modern day, white slav ...[text shortened]... our momma never get you a gay-ma-boy' (paraphrasing). Is there a racial undertone going on here?
    Hypersensitivity run amok. Anything can be viewed as racist if viewed through the right lens.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Nov '17 14:29
    If you find MIB racist then you'd find most Hollywood blockbusters a bit racist.
  4. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '17 21:06
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    If you find MIB racist then you'd find most Hollywood blockbusters a bit racist.
    can someone explain the fascination with racism. It seems with some people their whole lives involves racism. WHY?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Dec '17 22:29
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    can someone explain the fascination with racism. It seems with some people their whole lives involves racism. WHY?
    I think it has to do with Biology. We intrinsically go with like individuals. At least that's what I see in the animal kingdom throughout. What's interesting is how does an animal know what it looks like in order to go with like?
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 02:44
    Originally posted by @christopher-albon
    I think it has to do with Biology. We intrinsically go with like individuals. At least that's what I see in the animal kingdom throughout. What's interesting is how does an animal know what it looks like in order to go with like?
    Smell.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 08:53
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    Smell.
    Is that why dogs hump anything. Because they've been taught to interbreed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree