minor key

Donationbuckky
Culture 14 Feb '09 17:46
  1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    14 Feb '09 17:46
    Something about a minor key that flips my switch. My favorite minor key tune is "While my guitar slowly weeps". "Unchain my heart'. "Scarbough Fair ". All along the watchtower" It goes on into infinity. Minor key's make the world go round !
  2. At the Revolution
    Moves
    14 Feb '09 18:13
    Originally posted by buckky
    Something about a minor key that flips my switch. My favorite minor key tune is "While my guitar slowly weeps". "Unchain my heart'. "Scarbough Fair ". All along the watchtower" It goes on into infinity. Minor key's make the world go round !
    I like harmonic minor, myself.
  3. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    14 Feb '09 18:25
    Originally posted by scherzo
    I love that too. Haunting.
  4. rural North Dakota
    Moves
    14 Feb '09 23:08
    I love that too. Haunting.
    It seems that only Europeans and Americans consider music in the minor key to be sad or menacing. Many of the other cultures use the minor key for folk dances and "happy" songs. I do love it in any form. Right now two of my intermediate piano students are working on a duet of Knight Rupert. There is much drama and action in the first movement. I still can't picture it as depicting our Santa Claus, however. (composer: Robert Schumann).
  5. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    15 Feb '09 00:07
    Originally posted by ale1552
    It seems that only Europeans and Americans consider music in the minor key to be sad or menacing. Many of the other cultures use the minor key for folk dances and "happy" songs. I do love it in any form. Right now two of my intermediate piano students are working on a duet of Knight Rupert. There is much drama and action in the first movement. I still can't picture it as depicting our Santa Claus, however. (composer: Robert Schumann).
    >Absolutely. A minor key does not necessarily mean sad. It can be very joyful.
    >BTW, some of the music referred to is not really in a minor key, but rather in a mode such as Dorian, Phrygian, or Lydian, each of which is close to a minor key but they aren't minor keys.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Feb '09 12:05
    Originally posted by scherzo
    You mean like the Singing Boys of Vienna?)
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Feb '09 12:08
    Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
    >Absolutely. A minor key does not necessarily mean sad. It can be very joyful.
    >BTW, some of the music referred to is not really in a minor key, but rather in a mode such as Dorian, Phrygian, or Lydian, each of which is close to a minor key but they aren't minor keys.
    I am right now doing a defrag on my studio PC, heavily fragged, so in the meantime started practicing on the keyboard, got into doing variations of 'Greensleeves' a very nice very old minor key tune, no sadness about that tune for sure! I did variations on that theme till my back started hurting and had to take a break! That was just this morning, had to come up to the comp and play a few moves here to straighten out my back, but that was fun! The dam HD is STILL not finished defragging though🙂
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    15 Feb '09 12:18
    "A Minor Place", Bonnie 'Prince' Billy

YouTube
  9. weedhopper
    Moves
    15 Feb '09 20:18
    My favorite Christmas carol is We Three Kings.
  10. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    16 Feb '09 16:21
    Major can be more dramatic, lyric or undiscribably sad sometimes ! In classical music but in pop/rock music as well.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree