1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 06:31
    Do RHPers have cherished movies that didn't rock the box office or they feel the movies are not known widely enough?
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 06:33
    Debbie Does Hollywood.
  3. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 07:14
    In science fiction, everyone has stolen from Metropolis and Forbidden Planet.

In animation, I get tired of critics claiming that The Little Mermaid was responsible for the resurgence of Disney animated features. It was actually Who Framed Roger Rabbit. WFRR made TLM possible.

Possibly the most underrated western is Winchester '73. Possibly.

Our Hospitality is the best of the silent movies, better than The General. Better than Chaplin.

I'm not as sure about modern movies. I think that if I come back to a movie 10 or 20 years later I have a better feel for it.

The Sixth Sense is probably underrated; it is the finest ghost story ever put to film.
  4. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 07:17
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Debbie Does Hollywood.
    http://www.therewindblog.com/2009/05/debbie-does-hollywood.html
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 07:49
    Originally posted by Badwater
    In animation, I get tired of critics claiming that The Little Mermaid was responsible for the resurgence of Disney animated features. It was actually Who Framed Roger Rabbit. WFRR made TLM possible.
    Probably for 3 reasons: because WFRR was only partially animated (doesn't stick in the head that it's Disney), because it was co-produced with Amblin and because the Animation Director was so distainful of Disney that the animation was done in the UK.

The Sixth Sense is probably underrated; it is the finest ghost story ever put to film.
    I dunno what the criteria for ghost movie is, but what about: The Shining, Poltergeist, Ringu, Truly Madly Deeply?
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 08:10
    The Rescuers Down Under is, IMHO, one of the most underrated
    Disney animated movies. It is finely unfolded and the opening
    sequence is a sweet transition from PC use and then contrasting
    2D sweetness.

See, for contrast, the opening sequence of the overrated Beauty
    and the Beast. In the background, while Belle is singing, you can
    see glitches and mechanic move of badly drawn characters.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 08:17
    Walker - with Ed Harris.

Love Liza - with Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Naked - directed by Mike Leigh

Slacker - directed by Richard Linklater

Bottle Rocket - directed by Wes Anderson

The Pledge - Jack Nicholson

Tropic Thunder - directed by Ben Stiller

Jacknife - with Ed Harris and Robert DeNiro

Lantana - with Anthony LaPaglia and Kerry Armstrong
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 10:17
    Visually, The Fall (Tarsem Singh) is without peer.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 10:23
    In terms of being atypical, I found The Deep End (Scott McGehee David Siegel) just a really well done film that received too little attention.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 10:29
    D-oh! How could I forget: Flashbacks of a Fool (Baillie Walsh), starring Daniel Craig. Superb in every regard--- although certainly not appropriate for anyone under 18 because of the wanton debauchery in the opening scene. Afterwards, it is wholly palatable for all ages.

Easily Craig's finest work, and a great story well told.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 10:33
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Visually, The Fall (Tarsem Singh) is without peer.
    Good call.

Today's nominations: The Fountain and Dark City.
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 10:36
    Visually, The Cell. If you ignore J-Lo's acting and the general storyline, the cinematography and art design are astounding.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 10:391 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Visually, The Cell. If you ignore J-Lo's acting and the general storyline, the cinematography and art design are astounding.
    Have you seen The Fall? Good call on The Cell. I actually missed it in theaters because of the woeful reviews (😞) and I wish I hadn't.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 10:41
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I was going to lump it in with The Fall, since they're both directed by the same guy and share some of the same effects. Not to sound overly superficial, The Cell was somewhat hampered by the story line (for me) to be considered the visual feast that The Fall was made into. I felt like the story in The Fall--- certainly not light-hearted fare--- was skeleton enough to really allow the visuals center stage, whereas The Cell was a tad cluttered by its plot.

Either way, both stunning pieces of film.
  15. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 10:55
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Have you seen The Fall? Good call on The Cell. I actually missed it in theaters because of the woeful reviews (😞) and I wish I hadn't.
    Alas not, but if it comes highly recommended I'll give it a look.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree