1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    23 Apr '10 02:12
    Originally posted by Badwater
    Yes - a short, Jewish kid from Kansas wins .... wait, if I continue I'll get modded for sure....
    Double-dog dare ya.
  2. Standard membermisterrigel
    Dosadi Survivor
    Chicago
    Moves
    23 Apr '10 05:09
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    I really enjoyed "No Man's Land", a 2001 European film directed by some guy called Danis Tanović.
    I liked it too, but it's certainly not overrated - it won the Oscar for best Foreign Film (over Amelie no less).

Not to spoil the fun of the thread, but I'd bet all the money in my bank account that the absolute most underrated movie ever probably hasn't been seen by anyone on this thread. Or anyone on this website. Or anyone outside of, like, seven people. Cuz you know, if any of us have heard of it it can't be that underrated, right? All the movies discussed so far must have been well regarded enough to have been picked up by a distribution company, had thousands of copies made and disseminated, and been reviewed by lots of critics, and if it was good at least some of them probably liked it and reviewed it well.

No, the most underrated movie ever is probably the work of an unknown genius who spent years crafting his masterpiece only to either throw it away upon completing it (because it's perfection would have been marred by the presence of an audience) or he died whilst addressing the envelope to send it to an agent at Miramax. Or maybe there was an accident and it got destroyed? Maybe that.

All kidding aside though, has anyone been lucky enough to get their hands on the Infinite Jest DVD? It's not only Incandenza's best work - it's probably the best film ever made. If you ever see it in the movie store pick it up!
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Apr '10 12:261 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Then there was 'Silent Running', Bruce Dern. It foresaw R2D2, had one of the most beautiful soundtracks I ever heard (Joan Baez) And I think was the inspiration for the Joni Mitchell song 'Big Yellow Taxi' ( Took all the trees, put em in a tree museum, charged the people a dollar and a half just to see em, don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you've got till it's gone, paved paradise, put up a parking lot).
    Silent Running ... great film! Used to be shown on British tv almost once a year (always at some daft time like 23:50) but haven't seen it for years. Shame!
  4. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    24 Apr '10 16:23
    Gangs of New York.
  5. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    24 Apr '10 18:08
    Originally posted by misterrigel
    I liked it too, but it's certainly not overrated - it won the Oscar for best Foreign Film (over Amelie no less).
    Fair point. I think I'm gonna go with 'Jungle Burger' then.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Apr '10 13:36
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    [b]Silent Running ... great film! Used to be shown on British tv almost once a year (always at some daft time like 23:50) but haven't seen it for years. Shame![/b]
    A very convoluted story with the basic premise: man sucks but trees are elevated beings that must be protected at all costs. Someone was waaaay too much into weed.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Apr '10 08:31
    Dead Man, Jim Jarmusch film with Johnny Depp. I'd never heard of it until last year or so, but it immediately enterred my top 10, possible even my top 2 films. I honestly cannot fathom why films like this are virtually unheard of, but films like The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus get so much attention. Maybe it's just me, but that seems seriously wrong.

(I'm sure Palynka will be along shortly to tell me off for having an elitist view of film 😉)
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 Apr '10 09:261 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Dead Man, Jim Jarmusch film with Johnny Depp. I'd never heard of it until last year or so, but it immediately enterred my top 10, possible even my top 2 films. I honestly cannot fathom why films like this are virtually unheard of, but films like The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus get so much attention. Maybe it's just me, but that seems seriously wrong.
    ...[text shortened]... (I'm sure Palynka will be along shortly to tell me off for having an elitist view of film 😉)
    Attention, schmattention. Dead Man is a cult film, what else do you want?

TIoDP will only be remembered for being Heath Ledger's last film, which has little to do with cinema.

(Am I doing this right? I went for the implicit elitist critique to diversify a bit)
  9. Joined
    08 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 May '10 17:55
    thin red line. one false move.twin town.made.
  10. Joined
    08 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 May '10 17:58
    husbands and wives,woody allen.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree