Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

1. 28 Feb '08 17:15
    What's with 'No Country for Old Men' getting best picture at the Oscars? I didn't think it was that good, 'There will be blood' was much better, and DDL's performance was truly great. And why didn't 'Lust, Caution' feature in the nominations?
  2. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    28 Feb '08 17:27
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    What's with 'No Country for Old Men' getting best picture at the Oscars?
    There's always a significant amount of subjectivity in these awards, but No Country for Old Men surely hit all the right spots.

The direction was excellent, and so was the acting. It also was very classical cinema (in a back-to-basics way), which is usually a plus for the Oscars.

I haven't seen Lust, Caution yet but it's definitely on my list.
  3. Subscriber duecer
    anybody seen my
    28 Feb '08 18:27
    I loved the movie Juno. Some think it was too light weight to be there, but I thought it was terrific
  4. 28 Feb '08 18:50
    Originally posted by duecer
    I loved the movie Juno. Some think it was too light weight to be there, but I thought it was terrific
    That Ellen Page is a great young actress, and Jennifer Garner showed she's more than just a pretty face. The duet the kids do at the end is the cutest thing I've seen in a movie for a while!
  5. 28 Feb '08 18:57
    Originally posted by Palynka

I haven't seen Lust, Caution yet but it's definitely on my list.
    Its a good story with great character development from the lead girl.

Actually its a bit odd looking at the differences between the nominations for best foreign language film for the Oscars and BAFTAs:

Oscars:
    Beaufort
    The Counterfeiters
    Mongol
    Katyn

BAFTAs:
    The Lives of Others
    The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
    The Kite Runner
    Lust, Caution
    La Vie En Rose

The Lives of Others was another top quality film, but also not mentioned in the Oscar list.
  6. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    28 Feb '08 19:17
    Its a good story with great character development from the lead girl.

Actually its a bit odd looking at the differences between the nominations for best foreign language film for the Oscars and BAFTAs:

Oscars:
    Beaufort
    The Counterfeiters
    Mongol
    Katyn

BAFTAs:
    The Lives of Others
    The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
    The Kite Runner
    Lust, ...[text shortened]...

The Lives of Others was another top quality film, but also not mentioned in the Oscar list.
    I completely agree, I also was surprised by the Oscar's foreign film nomination. I thought maybe it was because of release dates of some foreign films in the US are different...

The Lives of Others was excellent, as well as 12/08 East of Bucharest. Another obvious possibility was 4 months, 3 weeks and 2 days.

Norway of Life was also great. Not a bad year for cinema, IMO.
  7. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    28 Feb '08 20:23
    What's with 'No Country for Old Men' getting best picture at the Oscars? I didn't think it was that good, 'There will be blood' was much better, and DDL's performance was truly great. And why didn't 'Lust, Caution' feature in the nominations?
    agreed...thought No country was just an ok movie...better than the usual junk but still not award winning.

Speaks more to the junk movies that were made this year than the quality of No Country I'd say.

As an Aside, The Seven Samaurai were on TV last night...anyone watch?
  8. Subscriber duecer
    anybody seen my
    28 Feb '08 20:27
    Originally posted by uzless
    agreed...thought No country was just an ok movie...better than the usual junk but still not award winning.

Speaks more to the junk movies that were made this year than the quality of No Country I'd say.

As an Aside, The Seven Samaurai were on TV last night...anyone watch?
    I can't see your tv since you put new curtains up
  9. Standard member Hindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    29 Feb '08 00:52
    And why didn't 'Lust, Caution' feature in the nominations?
    It'll be a long time before we see a foreign language film win the "best picture" category, I think. A shame, but for as long as there is a separate category of foreign language film, the academy will always have an excuse not to include worthy films in the best picture category.

Didn't Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon get nominated for both best picture and best foreign film and it won neither? By being in the running for both, it must have split the votes and resulted in it losing on both sides. The contradiction for me was that the film that beat CTHD to the foreign oscar was not in the running for best picture - CTHD was one of the top 5 films (as listed for best picture), and the only foreign film in the list, so it should have won the foreign language category by default, right?
  10. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    29 Feb '08 19:44
    Originally posted by duecer
    I can't see your tv since you put new curtains up
    Dr. Zhivago was on last night...you missed that one too i take it?
  11. Subscriber Crowley
    Not Aleister
    29 Feb '08 19:56
    Just saw Pan's Labyrinth.

Verdict: Excellent!
  12. Standard member Mexico
    Quis custodiet
    29 Feb '08 22:46
    With regards to bad films and awards, I do think "little miss sunshine" deserved all the acclaim it got thou...

And yea Pan's Labyrinth is awesome, unnecessarily violent in places but definitely awesome...
  13. Subscriber Crowley
    Not Aleister
    29 Feb '08 23:31
    Originally posted by Mexico
    With regards to bad films and awards, I do think "little miss sunshine" deserved all the acclaim it got thou...
    That was a great movie. Made me cringe when the little girl started doing her dance...
  14. Standard member Mexico
    Quis custodiet
    29 Feb '08 23:47
    Originally posted by Crowley
    That was a great movie. Made me cringe when the little girl started doing her dance...
    Yea but much like a car crash you can't help but look..... I've seen it a few times and every time I want to leave when she starts dancing.... But don't.......
  15. 02 Mar '08 00:35
    It was absolutely true to the book. It was about motivation and intention rather than the actual fact of violence.