Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

1. 07 Jan '10 02:24
    hey, I need ideas for new music for this year. here's what my top played list is:

1. Loreena Mckennitt- Any of her stuffs kicks ass, but I love the Live at Alhambra
    2. James McCurtry- better writer than Bob Dylan by far, favorite song We can't make it here anymore
    3. Jethro Tull-- Farm by The Freeway
    4 Moody Blues-- Sucks that Ray thomas retired, but it was time. Love em all
    5. Carlos Santana-- Samba Pa Ti-- Soul Sacrifice woodstock version. I can listen to that guitar all day.

what do you guys have?
  2. 07 Jan '10 02:34
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    hey, I need ideas for new music for this year. here's what my top played list is:

1. Loreena Mckennitt- Any of her stuffs kicks ass, but I love the Live at Alhambra
    2. James McCurtry- better writer than Bob Dylan by far, favorite song We can't make it here anymore
    4 Moody Blues-- Sucks that Ray thomas retired, bu ...[text shortened]... ul Sacrifice woodstock version. I can listen to that guitar all day.

what do you guys have?
    check this out

www.myspace.com/heigoumusic
  3. 07 Jan '10 03:02
    this is REAL music: http://www.youtube.com/user/SouljaBoy
  4. 07 Jan '10 08:54

4 Moody Blues-- Sucks that Ray thomas retired, bu ...[text shortened]... ul Sacrifice woodstock version. I can listen to that guitar all day.

what do you guys have?
    Bach, Handel, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert,Chopin, Mahler and Shostakovich for a start.
  5. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    07 Jan '10 09:25
    hey, I need ideas for new music for this year.
    I the interests of triggering debate, I am going to come right out and say that I am staunchly against music tastes.

But while I am here I will reveal that, whetever new music I may come across and enjoy in 2010, I will still spend countless hours listening to Grateful Dead soundboards, Frank Zappa and Phish shows, plus 'New Music' and 'Jazz' from the ECM label.

I defy anyone to refute this.
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Just another day
    07 Jan '10 10:05
    Look along the right side, below the links:

http://athousandyoung.blogspot.com/
  7. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Just another day
    07 Jan '10 10:05
    Originally posted by FMF
    I the interests of triggering debate, I am going to come right out and say that I am staunchly against music tastes.

But while I am here I will reveal that, whetever new music I may come across and enjoy in 2010, I will still spend countless hours listening to Grateful Dead soundboards, Frank Zappa and Phish shows, plus 'New Music' and 'Jazz' from the ECM label.

Grateful Dead! That's what I'm missing!
  8. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    07 Jan '10 10:10
    Originally posted by FMF

Refute what? That you are staunchly against music tastes or that you will spend countless hours listening to those artists?
  9. 07 Jan '10 10:28
    Originally posted by FMF

Refute what?
  10. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    07 Jan '10 10:54
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Grateful Dead! That's what I'm missing!
    Pick up a soundboard of a 'best' show from each year 1966-1995 and you'll have a tidy little collection of marvellous American music.
  11. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    07 Jan '10 10:54
    All a real man ever needs is a bit of ABBA and a lot of T-rex.
  12. 07 Jan '10 15:25
    Originally posted by FMF

Lol, The Dead..
    I am living in the second home of jerry garcia. The town of Eugene oregon, also famous for the writer Ken keesey...
    oh and the movie Animal House
    ABBA was good, years ago, I need to open new horizons. who is new, with a rock background?
  13. 07 Jan '10 18:21
    Lol, The Dead..
    I am living in the second home of jerry garcia. The town of Eugene oregon, also famous for the writer Ken keesey...
    oh and the movie Animal House
    ABBA was good, years ago, I need to open new horizons. who is new, with a rock background?
    ABBA was good

you can't be serious.

try listening to the early fleetwood mac, Cream, and of course Jimi hendrix.
  14. 08 Jan '10 00:57

what do you guys have?
    I mostly listen to classical, but sometimes good blue grass by various artists, old then avante garde jazz like Ornette Coleman, Thelonius Monk, Memphis and Chicago blues, mellow jazz like Bob James with various guests lke Earle Kluge, or heavier stuff like Django Reinhart. Duke Ellington will never grow old. Gospel and spirituals from the 30's and 40's. Scott Joplin. Cole Porter. Good guitar music from Argentina accompanying voice. Good Tango. Italian folk music like Neapolitan songs. If you want to explore different classical than the usual try lieder by schubert, Hugo Wolff or orchestral and chamber music by Stravinsky, Alban Berg and Schoenberg.

One of my favorite genres of music is opera. If you try opera start with Mozart, Bellini or Donizetti, the most melodious and approachable in my opinion. If you go choral try the oratorios by Haydn, Schumann, Bach, Mendelsohnn. The latter's Elijah is a massive, impressive and rarely performed work and a true masterppiece of the first order!
  15. 08 Jan '10 03:58
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    [b]ABBA was good

you can't be serious.

try listening to the early fleetwood mac, Cream, and of course Jimi hendrix.[/b]
    How early are we talking on FleetwoodMac? They go back real far.
    How about 10 years after---I'm going Home?
    Canned Heat--On the Road again?
    Pearl Jam--Yellowledbedder---make up your own words :-)