1. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 10:03
    If case anyone cares about accordion, or plays it, I put my new Youtube channel.
    Not many people know that accordion can be used for more than polka and I would like to help to change that common view on the instrument.

The first piece I have put on my youtube channel is a bit modern, a six-movement suite reflecting various autumnal moods (they have names, cannot recall all of them exactly though 😛) but soon I will post Bach, Messiaen and some pieces of western contemporary tradition. I do not know if we are allowed to post our stuff here, if it is considered trolling I can delete the post 🙂

YouTube
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Feb '12 13:35
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    If case anyone cares about accordion, or plays it, I put my new Youtube channel.
    Not many people know that accordion can be used for more than polka and I would like to help to change that common view on the instrument.

The first piece I have put on my youtube channel is a bit modern, a six-movement suite reflecting various autumnal moods (they have na ...[text shortened]... it is considered trolling I can delete the post 🙂

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Cqo7T725U
    No, it is definitely NOT trolling! You are clearly a virtuoso on your instrument! I see it says you were in recital at a competition, were you competing? Also, that looks like a button accordian, never saw so many buttons. Mine was only a little guy. I also play the concertina, but the soundboard cracked in two, separated about 5 mm! Scratch one concertina. It was the English kind, same note in as out.

How much does an accordian like that cost?
  3. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    25 Feb '12 18:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    No, it is definitely NOT trolling! You are clearly a virtuoso on your instrument! I see it says you were in recital at a competition, were you competing? Also, that looks like a button accordian, never saw so many buttons. Mine was only a little guy. I also play the concertina, but the soundboard cracked in two, separated about 5 mm! Scratch one concertina. It was the English kind, same note in as out.

How much does an accordian like that cost?
    Thanks for the compliment ! I was not competing in this video, I had a concert during the event as a previous edition winner.
    Concert accordions usually have this many buttons. More or less like the piano tone range (ovdr seven octaves).
    I like concertina, it had a important role in the history of the instrument development ! I am more familiar with the bandoneon though, but that is quite similar to concertina.

Instruments like this one get sold for about 20000 even 30000 Euro or more because the reeds and pretty much everything is hand-crafted. I couldn't afford that without some help from cultural donations etc.
    but that is quite standard way when trying to acquire a proffesional instrument of any kind - they are really expensive.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Feb '12 23:15
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    Thanks for the compliment ! I was not competing in this video, I had a concert during the event as a previous edition winner.
    Concert accordions usually have this many buttons. More or less like the piano tone range (ovdr seven octaves).
    I like concertina, it had a important role in the history of the instrument development ! I am more familiar with the ...[text shortened]... d way when trying to acquire a proffesional instrument of any kind - they are really expensive.
    Wow, that is a lot of money! So you got some kind of grant then? Impressive you were a previous winner! You are obviously highly dedicated to your instrument.
    I live in the US and have never seen the bandoneon. I am near Philly so maybe I can see one there. I played in an Irish music band in Los Angeles Ca and was just starting to use the concertina in our gigs when the poor thing cracked apart inside. I couldn't afford to get another one, the old one would have cost more than a new one to repair.

It was a Wheatstone English concertina, here is a link you can look at:

http://www.hobgoblin.com/info/wayne.htm

Sir Charles Wheatstone was a child prodigy who discovered among other things, polarized light and went on to use it to find the position of the sun on a cloudy day.

He was quite a genius!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree