1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    14 Jun '09 20:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    do you like Indian food? its not very bland, and there is a great diversity, for the region is so vast!
    Just ate that for lunch! Indeed great variety and anything but bland. Next time I'm in NYC I shall try the hottest curry on earth challenge at the Brick in lower Manhattan! I hear the UK has some of the best Indian food.
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    14 Jun '09 20:25
    Originally posted by Palynka
    LOL, Peroni is everywhere and it's crap.
    Perhaps it was the setting or my pedestrian tastes. It tasted quite good because my expectations were so low and the setting divine!
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    14 Jun '09 20:29
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I guess that's it for Italian beer. At least their wines are not as bad. I tend to prefer small micro-brewery beers, but not any anywhere I was in Italy. I tried blueberry ale in Maine and that wass really, really good. Peroni went well with the local fare in the Tosca-Romagnola region of Italy where the food is on the heavy side. Mybe they export the swill and sell the better stuff to the locals.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jun '09 20:48
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Just ate that for lunch! Indeed great variety and anything but bland. Next time I'm in NYC I shall try the hottest curry on earth challenge at the Brick in lower Manhattan! I hear the UK has some of the best Indian food.
    yes but even here there is a great variety, not only in tastes, but also in excellence. i once searched London, (North London) for ages trying to get a decent currie, was hopeless, had to settle for some type of Himalayan dish, also i do not really like the Bengali style curries, they, to be honest were fairly bland, at least in the Balti houses i tried, best currie in London is on Green street East London?, Pakistanis and Sikhs in my opinion make the best, any thing from Punjab is usually good.

Mostly i like tandoori, mixed tandoori grill is awesome, they bring it actually sizzling and smoking onto the table. Grill houses are becoming popular, but the don't taste like traditional tandoori oven. I even thought of buying one and putting it somewhere, but tandoori chef is an art form. I have in restaurants sometimes tried to do stuff in tandoori, but its dangerous if you do not know what you are about, for in the case of making bread (nan bread), you literally slap the bread to the side of the oven, with the hand, and if you are not quick enough, well you're arm/hand gets frazzled with the heat.

Curries are not intended to be that hot, they can be, but in a good restaurant, you can ask the chef to make it how you desire. the curries they sell to Europeans in many places are simply an invention. there is no such thing as a chicken tika masala! its made up for Europeans. if you see an Asian eating in a curry house, its a good sign that the food is authentic.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Jun '09 21:59
    Perhaps it was the setting or my pedestrian tastes. It tasted quite good because my expectations were so low and the setting divine!
    Yes, I was being harsh. 🙂

It's a decent regular beer and if you drink it fresh and under the Italian sun, I'm sure it would taste divine.
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    14 Jun '09 22:01
    yes but even here there is a great variety, not only in tastes, but also in excellence. i once searched London, (North London) for ages trying to get a decent currie, was hopeless, had to settle for some type of Himalayan dish, also i do not really like the Bengali style curries, they, to be honest were fairly bland, at least in the Balti houses i t ...[text shortened]... ans. if you see an Asian eating in a curry house, its a good sign that the food is authentic.
    We're blessed with real decent Indian food in the USA. Almost anywhere I go there is decent, hearty, non-bland Indian cooking. My favorite restaurant thus far is the only Indian rest in Princton, NJ, right across from the school. I love the mixed tandoori. Great lamb kabobs come out of the tandoori grill. Also love vegetarian Indian cuisine. Vegetable korma is to die for when made well. Them Punjabi people indeed are great cooks. Santa Fe, NM, has a restaurant owned by Sihks. Great chef! He hardly speaks English and is older than Ghandi. As for hot curry, I simply love a challenge. If you can eat the curry at the Brick, you win a beer, t-shirt and your photo on the wall of flame! And the curry is free! Providing you finish it. Only about ten people have done it. One developed a nose bleed!
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    14 Jun '09 22:07
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Yes, I was being harsh. 🙂

It's a decent regular beer and if you drink it fresh and under the Italian sun, I'm sure it would taste divine.
    Not harsh at all! Indeed the worst beer under the right setting, in the right company, etc. If you are ever in Bagnacavallo (yes, horse bath) make sure to eat at Due Galli. Great Risotto al Pomo D'Oro. Bistecca alla Milanese, birra Peroni and you are in heaven! My expectations were low, the price right and the temp 39C. They sure make up for their beer deficiencies with their food and women.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jun '09 22:252 edits
    We're blessed with real decent Indian food in the USA. Almost anywhere I go there is decent, hearty, non-bland Indian cooking. My favorite restaurant thus far is the only Indian rest in Princton, NJ, right across from the school. I love the mixed tandoori. Great lamb kabobs come out of the tandoori grill. Also love vegetarian Indian cuisine. Vegetable k ...[text shortened]... free! Providing you finish it. Only about ten people have done it. One developed a nose bleed!
    Lol, its probably a mixture of thousands of red and green chillies. there was a famous bollywood film where the actor was dreaming about his love and started to nibble on a bowl of green chillies, so strong was his dream that he forgot about the chillies and ended up eating the entire bowl, so that the secret my friend, when you are trying out that legendary curry in NYC, think of the love of your life, it will be painless, at least at the time 😉

the wall of flame LOL, reminds me of the worm eaters board in a Mexican restaurant that used to be in Glasgow.
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Jun '09 00:23
    Lol, its probably a mixture of thousands of red and green chillies. there was a famous bollywood film where the actor was dreaming about his love and started to nibble on a bowl of green chillies, so strong was his dream that he forgot about the chillies and ended up eating the entire bowl, so that the secret my friend, when you are trying out that ...[text shortened]... ame LOL, reminds me of the worm eaters board in a Mexican restaurant that used to be in Glasgow.
    It depends on who you're married to. Some of us may find the curry bland if we think of our damsel. Mine is a tad on the explosive side, my fair, Italian lassie. Every inch the product of her fiery past. Heart of gold, heart of steel blended together in the crucible of warring ancestors. Love her dearly, though because she is quite unique. A wuz when it comes to curry, though!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree