1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Jul '10 12:052 edits
    Millions of people in the world have no electricity and still use kerosene lamps which contributes to indoor pollution. This device just won an innovation award, giving light most of the night indoors and during the day you just set it outside in the sun all day and it's ready for another night of light inside. The cost? 10 bucks! super efficient LED's much more efficient than florescent lamps.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/africa/10486605.stm

Here is the link to the actual company making these lamps:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/africa/10486605.stm

I think this is more than just 'science'.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Jul '10 12:07
    I'm guessing this is a Science thread, right? 🙂
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Jul '10 12:10
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I'm guessing this is a Science thread, right? 🙂
    I'm thinking it's more than that, it effects entire cultures and potentially makes them healthier and happier. I think it's more of a culture thing, a paradigm shift thing, culturally speaking.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Jul '10 12:22
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I'm thinking it's more than that, it effects entire cultures and potentially makes them healthier and happier. I think it's more of a culture thing, a paradigm shift thing, culturally speaking.
    Then it should be in Debates! 😵

This is a "discussion forum for the arts" (from the forum list)...
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Jul '10 13:351 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Then it should be in Debates! 😵

This is a "discussion forum for the arts" (from the forum list)...
    What debate? That we really need to keep kerosene lamps in those millions of homes without electricity? Do you want to take up the pro side of that? I'll gladly take up the con🙂

You have a narrow concept of culture. Art is a big aspect of it for sure but not the ONLY aspect of culture. It has been the culture of those people to have smelly polluting lamps for the last few thousand years and here is a culture changer. That's all I said.
    Culture is also about new tools and how we use them.
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    02 Jul '10 19:07

Culture is also about new tools and how we use them.
    No, that's technology. If you're going to use such an enormously general definition of culture (one which is clearly in opposition to the forum description), then you could equally include General, Spirituality, Debates, Sports and the others into this forum which, as is obvious to most of us, renders the point of having different forums invalid.

Now take it to Science, Spanky.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    02 Jul '10 21:32
    It has been the culture of those people to have smelly polluting lamps for the last few thousand years and here is a culture changer.
    Kerosene's been around for thousands of years?

The Western nineteenth century was largely lit by whale oil. Now that must have stunk.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 01:48
    Originally posted by Starrman
    No, that's technology. If you're going to use such an enormously general definition of culture (one which is clearly in opposition to the forum description), then you could equally include General, Spirituality, Debates, Sports and the others into this forum which, as is obvious to most of us, renders the point of having different forums invalid.

Now take it to Science, Spanky.
    It is technology of course but the cultural part comes in how one culture can learn to use a certain technology and another doesn't. That has even been tracked in wild chimp populations who use tools. There certainly is a cultural vector in it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree