1. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    20 Jun '09 10:43
    Wandered into a local bookshop last night, and they were selling a whole bunch of classic movie DVDs at about 40% normal retail. I went kind of berserk and bought 16, including titles by Bresson, Renoir, Fellini, Oshima, Pasolini, Franju, de Sica and the Coen bros. Also Borowczyk's The Beast and the Taviani bros. 'Padre Padroni'.

May be making a few fewer moves than normal over the next couple of weeks.
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 18:05
    Originally posted by Blackamp
    Wandered into a local bookshop last night, and they were selling a whole bunch of classic movie DVDs at about 40% normal retail. I went kind of berserk and bought 16, including titles by Bresson, Renoir, Fellini, Oshima, Pasolini, Franju, de Sica and the Coen bros. Also Borowczyk's The Beast and the Taviani bros. 'Padre Padroni'.

May be making a few fewer moves than normal over the next couple of weeks.
    It's always nice when that happens.

What Pasolini did you get?

I don't know anything about Franju, de Sica, Borowczyk or the Taviani Bros. Any hints?

Have you seen anything by Jan Svankmajer? You may well like him.
  3. is no semi-colon
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 18:26
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    It's always nice when that happens.

What Pasolini did you get?

I don't know anything about Franju, de Sica, Borowczyk or the Taviani Bros. Any hints?

Have you seen anything by Jan Svankmajer? You may well like him.
    Pasolini - 'Mamma Roma', one of the classics of Italian neo-realism, along with Rosselini's 'Rome, Open City', and de Sica's 'The Bicycle Thief' (another of my purchases). I also have Pasolini's Medea and Gospel According to St Matthew, both of which are well worth viewing. The former is quite eerie.

Don't know much about Borowczyk, except that the film i bought 'La Bete', was banned for 30 years. Haven't watched that one yet.

Franju's horror 'Eyes Without A Face' is one of those films critics go on about, so i was curious...

Don't know much about the Tavianis, but Padre Padrone won the Palm d'Or at Cannes 1977, so i thought it might be worth a look.

One that I have watched already is Oshima's 'Empire of the Passions', which was excellent. It was much more restrained than his notorious In the Realm of the Senses, in which the sex is very expilcit, and is real not simulated (I'd recommend that one, as well).

haven't seen anything by Svankmajer - will check it out, thanks.
  4. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    22 Jun '09 19:46
    The Hairdresser's Husband

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree