1. Standard memberStTito
    The Mullverine
    Little Beirut
    Moves
    15 May '09 00:282 edits
    Holy Crap that was the best piece of pop culture I have seen in a long time!

Best review to date:
    http://www.theonion.com/content/video/trekkies_bash_new_star_trek_film
  2. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    15 May '09 05:10
    Originally posted by StTito

Best review to date:
    Lol! As a side note, that female anchor Bree What's-her-name is smokin' hot 😀
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    15 May '09 17:43
    Originally posted by StTito

Best review to date:
    Tell us...why did YOU like it.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 May '09 18:481 edit
    Originally posted by uzless
    Tell us...why did YOU like it.
    It's a fun movie. Probably the best Pop Sci-Fi since the original Star Wars (but without a Han Solo).
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    15 May '09 19:081 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    It's a fun movie. Probably the best Pop Sci-Fi since the original Star Wars (but without a Han Solo).
    That doesn't tell us WHY you liked it. What makes it FUN to you?

EDIT: I've seen the movie.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 May '09 19:13
    That doesn't tell us WHY you liked it. What makes it FUN to you?

EDIT: I've seen the movie.
    I found the pacing enjoyable, the characters had quirky personalities that didn't grate, the visuals appealing, most comic moments didn't seem out of place, etc. The only scene I found out of place was what followed after they dumped kirk on the icy moon.

It's just a popcorn movie, but I found it well made as such, and therefore fun to watch.
  7. Standard memberStTito
    The Mullverine
    Little Beirut
    Moves
    15 May '09 22:44
    I found the pacing enjoyable, the characters had quirky personalities that didn't grate, the visuals appealing, most comic moments didn't seem out of place, etc. The only scene I found out of place was what followed after they dumped kirk on the icy moon.

It's just a popcorn movie, but I found it well made as such, and therefore fun to watch.
    ditto.
    It was probably easy for Abrams to plug in the characters, but all the great lines were in there without over doing them. And the plot was classic and yet was able to hit the restart button to pave the way for a new wave of adventures.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 May '09 19:52
    Good news, thanks.
  9. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    21 May '09 17:211 edit

I thought the movie could have easily been called Starship Troopers 2.

What made this movie a star trek movie? Just because the character names were spock and kirk? they could have been Jack and Dirk who joined the "Galactive" and it wouldnt' have made any difference to the plot.

I don't see how this was a star trek movie. It was just a movie about some guys shooting other guys in space.

I'd never seen so many insults in a star trek movie passed off as comedy. I realize today's society enjoys watching people being made fun of but it's a sad commentary when star trek drops down to this level. Not that the recent movies were any good either but there used to be a standard level of decency the characters would afford each other but I see that has been cast aside in order to cater to the american idol crowd.

C'est la vie
  10. Standard memberWheely
    Instant Buzz
    C#minor
    Moves
    21 May '09 18:08

What made this movie a star trek movie? Just because the character names were spock and kirk? they could have been Jack and Dirk who joined the "Galactive" and it wouldnt' have made any difference to the plot.

I don't see how this was a star trek movie. It was just a movie about ...[text shortened]... e that has been cast aside in order to cater to the american idol crowd.

C'est la vie
    Never saw the original series did you.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    21 May '09 19:13

I don't see how this was a star trek movie. It was just a movie about ...[text shortened]... e that has been cast aside in order to cater to the american idol crowd.

C'est la vie
    Doesn't that stick hurt when you sit down? 😵
  12. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    21 May '09 19:381 edit
    Originally posted by Wheely
    Never saw the original series did you.
    The original series is kind of a joke by today's standards...in the same way that I dream of Jeannie, or Leave it to Beaver would be.

It's hard to compare shows from one era to shows in a different era though.

Don't get me wrong...the movie is decent and is better than any of the recent ones. My issue is with the degenerative downward spiral in decency that today's movies/tv shows seem to be on.

I think it's the classic race to the bottom...who can outdo each other by making fun of people the most.

Case in point, why was Scottie making fun of that alien dude? They never explained it. He just made fun of him the whole time and we never knew why. Some people in the audience laughed their heads off but I just found it confusing and sad. Perhaps my moral compass is too far up Palynka's ass.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 May '09 21:03
    The original series is kind of a joke by today's standards...in the same way that I dream of Jeannie, or Leave it to Beaver would be.

It's hard to compare shows from one era to shows in a different era though.

Don't get me wrong...the movie is decent and is better than any of the recent ones. My issue is with the degenerative downward spiral in dece ...[text shortened]... I just found it confusing and sad. Perhaps my moral compass is too far up Palynka's ass.
    Interesting viewpoint, a bit dissapointing to read but I do agree in general. I'm going to see Star Trek at the weekend so will see,
  14. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    21 May '09 21:15
    I recall being quite outraged and upset when I saw Starship Troopers.

first, I grew up on science fiction -- not space opera. I corresponded with Isaac Asimov, along with about 10,000 others. My father was a scientist and had actual, published sci-fi writers of the John Campbell school working for him in his chemistry department.

Robert Heinlein was one of my favorite writers when I was a kid. The movie did not resemble Heinlein at all, and I resented it.

What really got to me was the cynical obliviousness that caused the film makers to turn this into a neo-Nazi fashion show. If it hadn't been so shallow and lame, it might have been worth a serious thought.

But that movie was so completely a modern analog to a grade B 1950s monster flick -- all computer effects and no brains -- that it simply vanished into that place where truly unimportant, bad films go to die.

Star Trek was always cheesy and seemed like a poor copy of quite a few good, original sci-fi stories. I put up with it and tried to ignore Shatner and his idiosyncratic speech pattern and gestures -- made my skin crawl -- because I enjoyed some of the stories I recognized from old sci-fi pulp fiction. The best original ST episode, for me, was written by Harlan Elison. But there were episodes from stories by many other good, entertaining sci-fi writers.

The positives were that the science in Star Trek, while fast and loose to be sure, had some interesting and close to the bone aspects.

It says a lot about how foolish today's audience for films may be that they can accept a Star Trek using techology already outdated by the 1980s.

In any event, Star Trek was ripped off by Roddenberry. He got the formula from "Forbidden Planet" with Leslie Nielson, Walter Pidgeon and Anne Francis. That movie got its ideas and look from John W. Campbell's magazine Astounding Science Fiction -- featuring cover art by Kelley Freas, which defined the look of the film and heavily influenced Roddenberry.

Roddenberry also drew on the voyages of James T. Cook to get part of the pretentiousness and pomposity that makes the franchise so kitschy and yet so much like comfort food for those wanting desperately to be optimistic about the future.

What truly makes all these sorts of films and shows so boring is their lack of originality, the poverty and paucity of their ideas, and the tired old ripped off formulas they use.

In truth, the movie and TV entertainment business will not present and does not want shows that go where no one has gone before.

they don't make money.
  15. Standard memberStTito
    The Mullverine
    Little Beirut
    Moves
    21 May '09 22:08
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    I recall being quite outraged and upset when I saw Starship Troopers.

first, I grew up on science fiction -- not space opera. I corresponded with Isaac Asimov, along with about 10,000 others. My father was a scientist and had actual, published sci-fi writers of the John Campbell school working for him in his chemistry department.

Robert Heinlein was ...[text shortened]... nt and does not want shows that go where no one has gone before.

they don't make money.
    The bad artist copies the good artist steals
    I said pop culture, so take that and stuff it up your high brow nerdom.
    Yeah I grew up with Asimov and Hienlein too, they were great when I was in highschool. Now their version of the future is quite laughable. And not because their tech ideas are outdated(by the '80's), but because their universe was so nice, neat, organized and well, a US hegemony utpoia. Give me Frank Herbert and his religious/political novels of 'Dune' anyday. Or the dystopias of Gibson and Bruce Sterling.
    And I said it once about Music here in this forum and I'll say it again about art in general:

Purists suck. If you don't like the remaid or morphed version of your favorite artwork fine, art is opinion. But there is nothing more boring and tedious to hear than some older person saying it was better in "his/her" day. Expand and grow or shut up and go to your rocking chair.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree