1. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 16:53
    Originally posted by StTito
    Can you think of a band in the last 20 years that changed the scope of rock and roll so profoundly?
    i remember the epoch well my friend. Metal was dying, the Americans had taken it and turned it into a pantomime. Michael Jackson was in the charts, the superficiality of the eighties had come and gone and we sat disparagingly wondering why The Cure were on the front cover of NME and why people really liked The Smiths! Gay bikers on acid were featured, Sultans of Ping and the manic street preachers wore eye-liner and were being touted as the next best thing.

i remember the moment like it was September the eleventh, i had an old stereo hooked up to as many speakers as i could scrounge, and as i sat placidly in my bedsit, listlessly stirring some twenty pence packet of noodles, it hit the airways like a Jimi riff played on a chainsaw! Smells like teen spirit, and i wondered, was this a retro punk station that i had stumbled upon, but no, it was what we had been waiting for. It was messianic in its appearance, a hallowed chariot and harbinger of hope amid the dismalness of events, and we could lay back, with a sigh of relief, they were here and we were ready!
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 18:25
    Originally posted by katlin85
    what about Radiohead?
    90's band
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 18:26
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i remember the epoch well my friend. Metal was dying, the Americans had taken it and turned it into a pantomime. Michael Jackson was in the charts, the superficiality of the eighties had come and gone and we sat disparagingly wondering why The Cure were on the front cover of NME and why people really liked The Smiths! Gay bikers on acid were featu ...[text shortened]... lness of events, and we could lay back, with a sigh of relief, they were here and we were ready!
    nail on the head
  4. Germany
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 20:272 edits
    Can you think of a band in the last 20 years that changed the scope of rock and roll so profoundly?
    Well, the impact of Nirvana has been mostly cultural rather than musical, so this is quite easy.

Melvins
    Swans
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    My Bloody Valentine
    The Dillinger Escape Plan
    Plus all rock related stuff by Mike Patton, John Zorn and crew
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 01:41
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Well, the impact of Nirvana has been mostly cultural rather than musical, so this is quite easy.

Melvins
    Swans
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    My Bloody Valentine
    The Dillinger Escape Plan
    Plus all rock related stuff by Mike Patton, John Zorn and crew
    Nirvana influenced John Zorn?

Controversial and alleged details please!
  6. Joined
    26 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 06:33
    Nirvana accomplished some important things. Although they aren't my favorite band, I respect what they did.

Musically speaking, I sincerely doubt, 50 or 100 years from now, anyone will remember them very much. Now, I feel the same about pretty much all modern pop music, understand.

So, my answer to the question is 'no.'

If I had to name one recent band as the 'best,' musically, one who MIGHT be remembered, it would certainly have to be TOOL. You ask any ten of your favorite, crappy pop or rock artists what recent band is the best or the biggest influence, nine of the ten will say TOOL.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 20:11
    Originally posted by FMF
    Nirvana influenced John Zorn?

Controversial and alleged details please!
    No no, I'm just listing some artists who had more impact on rock music than Nirvana. I don't think Nirvana influenced many decent artists.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 20:121 edit
    Originally posted by shiloh
    Nirvana accomplished some important things. Although they aren't my favorite band, I respect what they did.

Musically speaking, I sincerely doubt, 50 or 100 years from now, anyone will remember them very much. Now, I feel the same about pretty much all modern pop music, understand.

So, my answer to the question is 'no.'

If I had to name one recent b tists what recent band is the best or the biggest influence, nine of the ten will say TOOL.
    I never really "got" Tool. What good modern bands have been heavily influenced by them?
  9. Joined
    12 Aug '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 00:54
    Slint.
  10. Joined
    26 Oct '06
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 02:14
    All of them.
  11. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 17:05
    Come on, young men and women, there is great music being written and played from all over the world. Try ethnic Scottish, Polish or S American for example. You'll even here instruments that you didn't know existed. Or try jazz.

I love rock and roll but if were to only listen to it i would have been a burned out music fan which is what I see is happening to some of you.
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 17:09
    Originally posted by badmoon
    love rock and roll but if were to only listen to it i would have been a burned out music fan which is what I see is happening to some of you.
    Name names.
  13. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 17:13
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Name names.
    No, don't...he's going to get us all blacklisted at Hop Sing's! 😲
  14. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 14:50
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Name names.
    When I see messages that state that there hasn't been any profound changes in music in the last twenty years I simply reply that that person isn't listening. There is more to music than rock and it's derivatives.

you're a seeker, darv, i'm not pointing at you. Hell, you turned me on to portishead. Now i own Dummy and am looking for more. By the way, the Portis singer sound similar to Imogen Heap who I also enjoy.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 14:571 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I never really "got" Tool. What good modern bands have been heavily influenced by them?
    I don't know, but there's not enough of them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree