1. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    14 Oct '12 10:43
    One more deserving omission:

Shusaku Endo (1923-96): A better Japanese writer than Yasunari Kawabata, and a more interesting Catholic novelist than Graham Greene. Silence is a terrific book; Volcano is also excellent - both motivated by the alienation felt by a Christian writer in his pagan homeland.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    14 Oct '12 12:57
    Now that we've acquainted ourselves a little with the list previous winners, who among them would you be tempted to read next?

I'm leaning toward Orhan Pamuk or V. S. Naipaul.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Oct '12 13:17
    Halldor Laxness, maybe.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Oct '12 13:19
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    One more deserving omission:

Shusaku Endo (1923-96): A better Japanese writer than Yasunari Kawabata, and a more interesting Catholic novelist than Graham Greene. Silence is a terrific book; Volcano is also excellent - both motivated by the alienation felt by a Christian writer in his pagan homeland.
    I like Ryunosuke Akutagawa.

Deserving omission:
    Philip K. Dick
  5. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    14 Oct '12 13:261 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Now that we've acquainted ourselves a little with the list previous winners, who among them would you be tempted to read next?

I'm leaning toward Orhan Pamuk or V. S. Naipaul.
    I second Laxness.

Out of interest in the history of Eastern Europe, I'm also quite keen to read Ivo Andric. I've heard that he's now a rather controversial figure, since he was of Croatian heritage, but wrote about Bosnian experience in the standard Serbian dialect - thus, he's both claimed and, alternatively, repudiated, by citizens in all three of those successor states to Yugoslavia.

Since I'm a film scholar by profession, I'm interested in a number of the novelists on the list who have had famous films adapted from their work - Lagerlof and Sienkiewicz fall into this category.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    14 Oct '12 14:19
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Halldor Laxness, maybe.
    'Independent People' does sound like an interesting one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree