1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 02:451 edit
    YouTube

Sadly, both John Renbourn and Bert Jansch are RIP now.

Jacqui Mcshee has such a haunting voice and also Bert.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 04:08
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFuxq_J1VuA

Sadly, both John Renbourn and Bert Jansch are RIP now.

Jacqui Mcshee has such a haunting voice and also Bert.
    "Pentangle live, around 1970. Hunting Song".

YouTube

Thanks for this hauntingly beautiful by artists I'd never been aware of before. They seem so young....
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 12:138 edits
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"Pentangle live, around 1970. Hunting Song".

[youtube]mFuxq_J1VuA[/youtube]

Thanks for this hauntingly beautiful by artists I'd never been aware of before. They seem so young....[/b]
    In 1965 they WERE young. Bert Jansch died in 2011 of throat cancer (age 67), John Renbourn died this year so the only ones I know alive are Danny Thompson, Jacqui McShee and her husband the drummer,Terry Cox.
    Like the Weavers, dead and gone now, The original, Pete Seeger, Ronnie Gilbert, Lee Hays, Fred Hellerman. The only one alive now is Fred.

Both groups were my hero's in the 60's and 70's.

I assume you know about the Weavers getting blackballed in 1952 or thereabouts, accused of being communist. As a group, they never recovered. Pete went on to fame and fortune and Ronnie continued to make records as well as Fred but Lee died early on from problems with diabetes, It was so sad, their last appearance at Carnegie Hall, Lee had already had both legs amputated and was in wheel chair with a little table in front of him with cloth covering the fact he had no legs. That was incredibly sad.
    It was a very poignant concert and there was a film made of it, which we saw. Did not see the actual concert.

Found this about their very last performance, pete was a mere 85 ATT๐Ÿ™‚

http://www.rogerebert.com/interviews/the-weavers-take-last-bow

Here is a bit about pentangle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentangle_(band)#Jacqui_McShee.27s_Pentangle
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Dec '15 06:10
    In 1965 they WERE young. Bert Jansch died in 2011 of throat cancer (age 67), John Renbourn died this year so the only ones I know alive are Danny Thompson, Jacqui McShee and her husband the drummer,Terry Cox.
    Like the Weavers, dead and gone now, The original, Pete Seeger, Ronnie Gilbert, Lee Hays, Fred Hellerman. The only one alive now is Fred.

Both group ...[text shortened]... a bit about pentangle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentangle_(band)#Jacqui_McShee.27s_Pentangle
    "This was last week at the Toronto Film Festival, where the Weavers were going to sing that night for probably the last time. Three of them -- Seeger, Hellerman and Ronnie Gilbert -- go back more than 55 years together, and their songs are like the American national soundtrack. Think of "Goodnight, Irene," "Wimoweh," "This Land Is Your Land," "If I Had a Hammer," "Midnight Special" and "Rock Island Line," and it's their voices you hear in your memory." http://www.rogerebert.com/interviews/the-weavers-take-last-bow

Certainly brings back memories of Pete Seeger as a much younger man. In this review he was so gaunt and frail. "pentangle" reply next time. Thank you.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Dec '15 19:36
    Gaunt and frail yes, but he lived to 94 or so. I probably will be gaunt and frail at 94 too๐Ÿ™‚
    My mom is frail but not gaunt at 96, so I at least have a genetic crack at 94๐Ÿ™‚
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Jan '16 04:18
    Gaunt and frail yes, but he lived to 94 or so. I probably will be gaunt and frail at 94 too๐Ÿ™‚
    My mom is frail but not gaunt at 96, so I at least have a genetic crack at 94๐Ÿ™‚
    Let's hope your family also enjoys longevity. My own mother departed this life at the age of ninety two in December, 2011. I miss her still.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Jan '16 17:36
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Let's hope your family also enjoys longevity. My own mother departed this life at the age of ninety two in December, 2011. I miss her still.
    As well as I will miss my own mom. I remember a time when I was maybe 9 and was crying because I knew some time in the future I would not have her. Well here I am, over 60 years later and she is still here! I guess I was a bit premature in that youthful angst๐Ÿ™‚

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree